No announcement yet.

2020 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The players the Mets really need to hold onto and not dump this off season are deGrom, Syndergaard, Nimmo, Conforto, McNeill, Lugo and Diaz, Alonso.

For everyone else:

Familia has been better lately, and pitchers with his ability have value. I'd try to move him this off season to try to rebuild the far system that BVW pilla
    Ramos as bad as he has been, they should pick up his option.
    JD Davis has turned into a nice player and is signed through 2025. Keep him unless something really enticing comes along.
    Chirinos exercise the buyout. $6.5 million isn't worth it for what would be your #3 or #4 catcher.
    Matz moves to the bullpen. If he cannot perform there, dump him for whatever you can get.
    Cano if a team will take him, trade him. He can still hit. He cannot do anything else well anymore. The DH slot needs to be there for Alonso/Smith/Davis.
    Give Guilllorme a legitimate shot in Spring Training. Defensively, he is the best player on the team. He has also hit enough to suggest he might be an every day player.
    Rosario gets traded if someone is actually interested in him. He is blocking Jimenez who will be blocking Ronny Mauricio in a couple of years.
    Bettances exercise his option. It is worth the gamble.

Go after:

JT Realmnuto lock him up as the starting catcher then trade Ramos for some prospects. You don't need a guy who cannot frame pitches as a backup.
    Any good defensive catcher who can back up Realmuto. Chirinos and Nido are a #3 at best.
    Any free agent pitchers who have proven they can start and win games. Waca and Porcello are not effective pitchers.

Get rid of:

BVW - he is not a GM. He should go back to being an agent. He does not understand how to run a franchise. I don't know what Jeff Wilpon has and has not interfered with. It is not a coincidence that almost all of his signings are former clients of BVW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
      Exploring a possible Conforto extension
      https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/michae...on-comparisons
      An extension for the Silky Elk?

Pete’s nickname for him. Alonso is hokey but if you’re going to have a spirit animal I guess an Elk is a good one.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
        The players the Mets really need to hold onto and not dump this off season are deGrom, Syndergaard, Nimmo, Conforto, McNeill, Lugo and Diaz, Alonso.

For everyone else:

Familia has been better lately, and pitchers with his ability have value. I'd try to move him this off season to try to rebuild the far system that BVW pilla
        JD Davis has turned into a nice player and is signed through 2025. Keep him unless something really enticing comes along.
        Chirinos exercise the buyout. $6.5 million isn't worth it for what would be your #3 or #4 catcher.
        Matz moves to the bullpen. If he cannot perform there, dump him for whatever you can get.
        Cano if a team will take him, trade him. He can still hit. He cannot do anything else well anymore. The DH slot needs to be there for Alonso/Smith/Davis.
        Give Guilllorme a legitimate shot in Spring Training. Defensively, he is the best player on the team. He has also hit enough to suggest he might be an every day player.
        Rosario gets traded if someone is actually interested in him. He is blocking Jimenez who will be blocking Ronny Mauricio in a couple of years.

Go after:

JT Realmnuto lock him up as the starting catcher then trade Ramos for some prospects. You don't need a guy who cannot frame pitches as a backup.
        Any good defensive catcher who can back up Realmuto. Chirinos and Nido are a #3 at best.
        Any free agent pitchers who have proven they can start and win games. Waca and Porcello are not effective pitchers.

Get rid of:

BVW - he is not a GM. He should go back to being an agent. He does not understand how to run a franchise. I don't know what Jeff Wilpon has and has not interfered with. It is not a coincidence that almost all of his signings are former clients of BVW.
        Well the not a coincidence can continue with Realmuto then. He’ll be sought after.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

An extension for the Silky Elk?

Pete’s nickname for him. Alonso is hokey but if you’re going to have a spirit animal I guess an Elk is a good one.
          It was either that or some comic book superhero nickname.
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I doubt you're getting anything for Ramos. He has a $10 million team option for 2021 with a $1.5 million buyout. Exercise the buyout and sign Realmuto, easily.

Comment

I doubt you're getting anything for Ramos. He has a $10 million team option for 2021 with a $1.5 million buyout. Exercise the buyout and sign Realmuto, easily.
              I would at least try to lock up Realmuto before dumping Ramos. I don't know if that would be feasible or not. As bad as Ramos has been this year, he is still better than Cirinos and Nido, the next two in line currently.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Spectacular's the best way to put it. I put that catch in the top 10 best catches I've ever seen.
                The Mets had to win that game. You can't waste a catch like that.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                  The Mets had to win that game. You can't waste a catch like that.
                  They wasted Endy's.

Comment

The players the Mets really need to hold onto and not dump this off season are deGrom, Syndergaard, Nimmo, Conforto, McNeill, Lugo and Diaz, Alonso.

For everyone else:

Go after:

Get rid of:

Also hang on to Jimenez. We have seen him play and we know what we see. I am not a believer in Mauricio at all yet -- especially as much as we heard about Rosario. Believe it when I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

It is so clearly visible that Guillerme and Gimenez is a huge step up defensively over Cano and Rosario. Like day and night, imo.
                      In the off-season thread, and subsequently, I noted if the Mets planned on replacing Wheeler and Syndergaard with Porcello and Wacha, they'd need to step up their defensive game. Porcello has an ERA of 6.07 against a FIP of 2.88; Diaz has an absurdly high BABIP against as well. I won't argue Porcello has been good, but when anyone but deGrom and Lugo pitch, the Mets should go with the best defense they can up the middle.

The bloop over Cano's head in (I think) the first inning, which drove in the first run against Porcello, would have been caught by Guillorme.

If Guillorme had a weak bat, I wouldn't argue for him to start, but I think strong defense up the middle, without big sacrifice offensively is a no-brainer - at least when the easier to hit Mets pitchers are starting.

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                      ...Gimenez...
                      If Gimenez wins the job at SS, he wins it. I just have this nagging feeling the Mets dropped the ball on Rosario's development, and I almost expect him to pop up elsewhere and excel. Travis d'Arnaud often looked lost at the plate here; in 438 AB since leaving the Mets he's hitting 23/92/.276. I'll agree Gimenez looks excellent overall, but I can't shake the feeling Rosario losing the job represents an organizational screw-up.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

In the off-season thread, and subsequently, I noted if the Mets planned on replacing Wheeler and Syndergaard with Porcello and Wacha, they'd need to step up their defensive game. Porcello has an ERA of 6.07 against a FIP of 2.88; Diaz has an absurdly high BABIP against as well. I won't argue Porcello has been good, but when anyone but deGrom and Lugo pitch, the Mets should go with the best defense they can up the middle.

The bloop over Cano's head in (I think) the first inning, which drove in the first run against Porcello, would have been caught by Guillorme.

If Guillorme had a weak bat, I wouldn't argue for him to start, but I think strong defense up the middle, without big sacrifice offensively is a no-brainer - at least when the easier to hit Mets pitchers are starting.

If Gimenez wins the job at SS, he wins it. I just have this nagging feeling the Mets dropped the ball on Rosario's development, and I almost expect him to pop up elsewhere and excel. Travis d'Arnaud often looked lost at the plate here; in 438 AB since leaving the Mets he's hitting 23/92/.276. I'll agree Gimenez looks excellent overall, but I can't shake the feeling Rosario losing the job represents an organizational screw-up.
                        Normally I may agree with you about what you are saying in regards to Rosario, but in his case I disagree.

The Mets are more than capable of screwing up a player developing, but I will say again - its the raw tools that are lacking. I know you have said in the past about what the scouts said about fast twitch muscles and raw tools.

All I can say is they were wrong. Way wrong. This is not 20/20 hindsight on my part. I said this about Rosario very early on - I just didnt see it. You watch a player like Trea Turner, Acuna, Soto, Jose Reyes, ---- you can see physical skills. Speed, quickness, explosiveness -- I dont see it in Rosario - nor have I ever.

If he goes somewhere else and becomes something -- so be it, but I seriously doubt that happens. He will never be more than a middle of the road player in my opinion.......at best.

d'Arnaud needed a change of scenery after being labled a failure here. He failed in large part to injury which he hasnt dealt with. So maybe that is a Met thing.

On the other side of the coin every team lets go of a player that excels somewhere else - that isnt a Met thing. Minnesota let RJ Dickey go and he won a CYA with the Mets. The Astros let JD Davis walk. It happens.

Bottom line is if the player doesnt produce you cant hang on because you are afraid he may blossom somewhere else. At least I wouldnt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

d'Arnaud needed a change of scenery after being labled a failure here. He failed in large part to injury which he hasnt dealt with. So maybe that is a Met thing.
                          d'arnaud was traded twice: one by the Phillies to Toronto and from Toronto to the Mets in the RA Dickey trade. Two different teams must not have liked what they say in the guy.

Comment

• So for those keeping score at home, the Mets now have a:

Polar Bear
                            Squirrel
                            Sun Bear
                            Buffalo
                            Silky Elk

https://twitter.com/SteveGelbs/statu...93925049044994

Comment

So for those keeping score at home, the Mets now have a:

Polar Bear
                              Squirrel
                              Sun Bear
                              Buffalo
                              Silky Elk

https://twitter.com/SteveGelbs/statu...93925049044994
                              You forgot about the Viking!

Comment

• The Mets plan to activate Steven Matz (left shoulder bursitis) from the injured list "soon," per Luis Rojas. Matz, who has been sidelined since Aug. 30, is throwing a bullpen session today. Could be one of his final steps before returning.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...06494440927238

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X