2020 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Heh, are those our only two options? I think watching them both is brutal.

I gave up on thinking Familia could be an effective reliever many moons ago, and I was elated when he was unloaded to Oakland for essentially nothing. If that had been the end of the story, it would've been okay by me. But last year was the last straw for me. He's now a net negative in my book. I still hope he does well (naturally), but his clean outings are so far and few between.

As for Diaz, I so want for him to have figured out what the problem was that caused such ineffectiveness last year. For much of last year we talked about how Diaz was gonna be the closer this year whether we like it or not. Welp, it's not exactly the season we all envisioned when it was being talked about, but it is indeed next year. I'm still not convinced that his 2018 wasn't a fluke. ...or that the Cano/Diaz deal was a good one.

I'm not very good with being able to tell if pitches are being framed well, so if anyone has input on how Familia's and Diaz's pitches have been framed in the 4 games thus far, I'd be interested to know.
    Our #1 catcher can hit and hit well, but he stinks at framing pitches.

As for pauly's post above, I completely disagree. With a good catcher, a lot of those low pitches Famila and Diaz are throwing would be called strikes and those weird outside pitches you are seeing and wondering why they are being thrown would be swung at because those outer and lower strikes would then be in the mind of the hitter. I am not saying Familia and Diaz are ineffective because of Ramos. What I am saying is you have two relief pitchers who basically only know one formula and stick to it with a catcher behind the plate who does not know how to make that formula work. In those tight games where they have the lead, the team should be putting in Nido to catch Familia and Diaz.

On the counterpoint, the reason why deGrom and Lugo seem to pitch well regardless of who is catching is because they are both very smart pitchers. They do not stick to one formula. Last night, Ron was referring to Lugo as The Professor. That is not too far off. It is extremely rare to see a relief pitcher with several different pitches and several different change up speeds. If they move Lugo to the starting rotation, he might become the team's de facto #2 behind deGrom. He really is THAT good at working with what he has.

Comment

The Mets have agreed to a deal with catcher Bruce Maxwell, per Tim Healey of Newsday. He’ll report to the team’s alternative training site once he passes a physical and gets a pair of clean coronavirus tests.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...e-maxwell.html
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
        The Mets have agreed to a deal with catcher Bruce Maxwell, per Tim Healey of Newsday. He’ll report to the team’s alternative training site once he passes a physical and gets a pair of clean coronavirus tests.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...e-maxwell.html
        It is weird that they went that route. Defensively, he is a downgrade from Wilson Ramos and offensively, has a weak bat. Maybe to be the #4 on the 60 man?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

As for pauly's post above, I completely disagree. With a good catcher, a lot of those low pitches Famila and Diaz are throwing would be called strikes and those weird outside pitches you are seeing and wondering why they are being thrown would be swung at because those outer and lower strikes would then be in the mind of the hitter. I am not saying Familia and Diaz are ineffective because of Ramos. What I am saying is you have two relief pitchers who basically only know one formula and stick to it with a catcher behind the plate who does not know how to make that formula work. In those tight games where they have the lead, the team should be putting in Nido to catch Familia and Diaz.

On the counterpoint, the reason why deGrom and Lugo seem to pitch well regardless of who is catching is because they are both very smart pitchers. They do not stick to one formula. Last night, Ron was referring to Lugo as The Professor. That is not too far off. It is extremely rare to see a relief pitcher with several different pitches and several different change up speeds. If they move Lugo to the starting rotation, he might become the team's de facto #2 behind deGrom. He really is THAT good at working with what he has.
          Most would disagree with me and thats ok.

I dont buy the pitch framing thing -- or at least to the point that it is sold. I see the stats on it on baseball savant -- creative way to make a lot out of very little in my opinion.

Those low pitches that they throw are exactly that.....low. Can a catcher steal one sometimes....sure, but that doesnt make or break a pitcher or pitching staff.

Familia and Diaz are ineffective 100% because of Familia and Diaz. Again just my opinion. The best pitching staff of the last 50 years threw to a not so good catcher.

When we call a catcher a good pitch framer what it means is that he is able to deceive the umpire into thinking a ball is a strike. Right? As posted above in the article I mentioned - pitch framing is more of an indictment on the umpiring. Some umps will allow it ----or fall for it.....some wont.

You would think if pitch framing was so important in reality to a pitcher and the pitching staff a guy like Austin Hedges would be massively sought after. After all he can turn the pitching staff around by stealing strikes. Max Stassi is another example, but he is nothing more than a backup. So teams and analyst can talk about framing all they want at the end of the day teams are not putting a catcher out there for his framing ability --- if there is such a thing. Otherwise Nido is the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Most would disagree with me and thats ok.

I dont buy the pitch framing thing -- or at least to the point that it is sold. I see the stats on it on baseball savant -- creative way to make a lot out of very little in my opinion.

Those low pitches that they throw are exactly that.....low. Can a catcher steal one sometimes....sure, but that doesnt make or break a pitcher or pitching staff.

Familia and Diaz are ineffective 100% because of Familia and Diaz. Again just my opinion. The best pitching staff of the last 50 years threw to a not so good catcher.

When we call a catcher a good pitch framer what it means is that he is able to deceive the umpire into thinking a ball is a strike. Right? As posted above in the article I mentioned - pitch framing is more of an indictment on the umpiring. Some umps will allow it ----or fall for it.....some wont.

You would think if pitch framing was so important in reality to a pitcher and the pitching staff a guy like Austin Hedges would be massively sought after. After all he can turn the pitching staff around by stealing strikes. Max Stassi is another example, but he is nothing more than a backup. So teams and analyst can talk about framing all they want at the end of the day teams are not putting a catcher out there for his framing ability --- if there is such a thing. Otherwise Nido is the starter.
            You can think what you want. The science behind the stats are proven and as a former catcher who was good at pitch framing, I was able to stretch the strike zone out a few inches on either side of the plate. That makes a big difference to a pitcher who likes to paint the corners. Greg Maddox made an entire career out of painting the corners and getting strikes that were off the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Both of those teams are good.

The Rays are very good, and in a regular 162 game season I wouldnt be surprised if they beat the Yanks in the division and went to the WS. In a short season I would be less surprised. They did win 96 games last year.

The Reds have much better starting pitching than ...yes I am going to say it ...the Flushing Two (what happened to the other 3???). Bauer, Gray, Castillo are about as formidable as it gets. Especially in the NL Central.

WS for both? Well with all the rounds to get through very hard to say that at all, but both should make the playoffs, and then you never know.
              1. If this were a regular season, anything can happen and the Rays have made pushes before, but...the Dodgers, Yankees, Nationals, Braves, Astros (controversy and all), on and on--I would've been shocked if either broke through the top-heavy elements of either league.

The teams that are good in this league are GOOD, the bad teams are BAD, and then there's a LOT in the Mets-y Middle. The Rays are ahead of the Mets for sure by virtue of at least contending the last couple years (much as I wish they'd move the team somewhere else already, but I digress), but I'd been shocked if the Rays beat out the Yanks for the AL East (especially now that the Red Sox aren't quite the force they were the past few years, the Blue Jays are probably still a year away, and the Orioles are an utter mess, if the Yankees couldn't win in THAT AL East heads would roll, or would've back in the King George days), the NL Central is weaker than it was a couple years ago but I'd still have taken two or three teams ahead of the Reds in a normal 162 game season...

And the Wild Cards are, well, wild, who knows, but again, leaning more towards the Rays than the Reds, I wouldn't have picked either.

But then I thought the Nats were toast after their terrible start to the season, so maybe I should be preparing for a Rays/Reds World Series after all, lol. (Though while I think given the pandemic the World Series might get a ratings boost from people just wanting any diversion, a Reds/Rays WS would have to terrify Big Market-loving MLB brass, lol.)

2. Bauer, Gray, and Castillo are good, but not what I'd call "as formidable as it gets."

Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and Zack Greinke last year is more of what I'd consider "formidable."

"Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

You can think what you want. The science behind the stats are proven and as a former catcher who was good at pitch framing, I was able to stretch the strike zone out a few inches on either side of the plate. That makes a big difference to a pitcher who likes to paint the corners. Greg Maddox made an entire career out of painting the corners and getting strikes that were off the plate.
                Well like I said most will disagree with me.

Comment

To clear roster space for David Peterson, the Mets designated reliever Tyler Bashlor for assignment.
                  https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...11708834611204

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

1. If this were a regular season, anything can happen and the Rays have made pushes before, but...the Dodgers, Yankees, Nationals, Braves, Astros (controversy and all), on and on--I would've been shocked if either broke through the top-heavy elements of either league.

The teams that are good in this league are GOOD, the bad teams are BAD, and then there's a LOT in the Mets-y Middle. The Rays are ahead of the Mets for sure by virtue of at least contending the last couple years (much as I wish they'd move the team somewhere else already, but I digress), but I'd been shocked if the Rays beat out the Yanks for the AL East (especially now that the Red Sox aren't quite the force they were the past few years, the Blue Jays are probably still a year away, and the Orioles are an utter mess, if the Yankees couldn't win in THAT AL East heads would roll, or would've back in the King George days), the NL Central is weaker than it was a couple years ago but I'd still have taken two or three teams ahead of the Reds in a normal 162 game season...

And the Wild Cards are, well, wild, who knows, but again, leaning more towards the Rays than the Reds, I wouldn't have picked either.

But then I thought the Nats were toast after their terrible start to the season, so maybe I should be preparing for a Rays/Reds World Series after all, lol. (Though while I think given the pandemic the World Series might get a ratings boost from people just wanting any diversion, a Reds/Rays WS would have to terrify Big Market-loving MLB brass, lol.)

2. Bauer, Gray, and Castillo are good, but not what I'd call "as formidable as it gets."

Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and Zack Greinke last year is more of what I'd consider "formidable."
                    Well we shall see I guess. No sense in saying where teams will end up especially with extra playoff rounds, but I do think......well I know that the both the Rays/Reds are better than the team in Flushing, and I expect both of those teams to make the playoffs.

On another note give me a better 3 than Gray, Bauer, Castillo. Are they the best right now? Really havent thought about it but off hand besides the Nats I cant come up with a better 3. Probably are but they are a formidable trio in my estimation.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 07-28-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I am assuming they go with patchwork game with an opener.
                      We'll see how long Peterson lasts but I wanted to see him start at Fenway since he was drafted by the Red Sox in 2014 but he turned them down to go to college. Then Mets drafted him in 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

This post really zeros in on what I was alluding to when I asked about it. With all that went on last year, I'm wondering if Rojas should perhaps bring in a replacement for Ramos late on the game, especially since they're carrying 3 catchers. It seems to me to be a good idea, all things considered.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

We'll see how long Peterson lasts but I wanted to see him start at Fenway since he was drafted by the Red Sox in 2014 but he turned them down to go to college. Then Mets drafted him in 2017.
                          He has looked great so far. 6th inning, 1 out 73 pitches and counting.

Comment

• I so do not miss the pitcher batting.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

• Mets win, defense a bit shaky though.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                                I so do not miss the pitcher batting.
                                Me either! I am loving the universal DH. I'd also like to see the teams keep the 30 man roster as a permanent thing. It stinks that they are downsizing in about a week.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X