2020 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Mets Season Thread

Well, it's happening. A short season might see some anomalies. These include rate stat records and milestones, like a .400 BA, for example. We also might see some surprises in the final standings.

Considering the Mets' pitching going into this year, I think they're a lesser team than last. What's funny is, with postponement of the season, and likely ownership change, the actual baseball seems like an afterthought. I'm glad they're playing, though, even if some of the rules changes are abominable, and no fans will be in physical attendance.

I see this team as .500 to below .500 quality. The offense should keep things interesting. I'd love to see Guillorme get some time at 2B. Quality defense up the middle might be worth a few wins, which could mean something. I hope Dom Smith has been working in the outfield, and J.D. Davis has been working at 3B and in the OF. What do the rest of you think about the team, the season, and everything else?

Let's Go Mets!

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Wow an actual season thread. A 90 degree opening day.

A lot of strange things this year. As far as the rules go I like the DH and the 3 batter minimum. I have been wanting both (although I said two batters). The runner starting at 2nd I can do without, but whatever for this year.

I am also glad they are starting. As I had mentioned I wasnt even paying attention a few weeks ago. Too much crap mixed in with the baseball news so I ignored it all. Now that it is a couple of days away - sort of looking forward to going home and watching a game.

I can see the Mets at .500 within a few games either way while competing for a playoff spot. I think the offense is potentially the highlight of the team so that in of itself is a good thing. At least if they are scoring some its interesting...in my opinion.

Anyone comparing this to a regular baseball season is going to be sorely disappointed. We have to take 2020 for what it is.

The pitcher still has to throw it, the batter still has to hit it, and the fielder still has to catch it.

Comment

My annual tradition for every season thread here:

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        Wow an actual season thread. A 90 degree opening day.

A lot of strange things this year. As far as the rules go I like the DH and the 3 batter minimum. I have been wanting both (although I said two batters). The runner starting at 2nd I can do without, but whatever for this year.

I am also glad they are starting. As I had mentioned I wasnt even paying attention a few weeks ago. Too much crap mixed in with the baseball news so I ignored it all. Now that it is a couple of days away - sort of looking forward to going home and watching a game.

I can see the Mets at .500 within a few games either way while competing for a playoff spot. I think the offense is potentially the highlight of the team so that in of itself is a good thing. At least if they are scoring some its interesting...in my opinion.

Anyone comparing this to a regular baseball season is going to be sorely disappointed. We have to take 2020 for what it is.

The pitcher still has to throw it, the batter still has to hit it, and the fielder still has to catch it.

I am not too enthused here; how many changes can we endure and still call it MLB. Anyway:
        • Big downgrade in starting pitching.
        • Not much of an upgrade in relief pitching.
        • Offense is better with Cespedes.
        • Defense is still weak.

I'd say that it's gonna be a long season - but it's not.

Pauly assured us months ago that we would in fact have baseball in 2020. I said that at best they'd come up with a contrived mini-season in the second half. Guess we're both right. So Pauly - were you able to revive the softball league?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

I am not too enthused here; how many changes can we endure and still call it MLB. Anyway:
          • Big downgrade in starting pitching.
          • Not much of an upgrade in relief pitching.
          • Offense is better with Cespedes.
          • Defense is still weak.

I'd say that it's gonna be a long season - but it's not.

Pauly assured us months ago that we would in fact have baseball in 2020. I said that at best they'd come up with a contrived mini-season in the second half. Guess we're both right. So Pauly - were you able to revive the softball league?

Mister I felt MLB had to at least do all it could to play especially since the NBA/NHL were going to give it a go.

As far as softball goes -- nope --- this is the first time I have not played baseball or softball in over 50 years. There were too many restrictions as far as social distancing, masks, dugout etiquette etc etc.

Plus the umpires were worried...which is understandable. So my two main leagues shut down. The other two will try to pick back up in the fall if possible.

Very tough to play if you feel like its another job. I already have one of those and I dont need to be reminded of how much the world has sucked this year during softball. So I am not overly disappointed that we didnt try to make a bad situation worse.

Anyway its a no go........thank you for asking.

Comment

You summed it up quite well, Mongoose. The Mets' biggest story of 2020 will be the (much needed, long awaited) ownership change (God willing).

Anything can happen in a season this, but I see the Mets, as currently constituted, as a middling .500 club, not a team that would be competing for the division under normal circumstances.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I too am envisioning around .500, primarily due to the downgrade in pitching. And if deGrom goes down, I can see losing 35 or more.

I'm grateful for the NL DH. Makes Davis' and Smith's defense less of a factor.

As for enthusiasm, it's better than nothing as far as I'm concerned.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                I too am envisioning around .500, primarily due to the downgrade in pitching. And if deGrom goes down, I can see losing 35 or more.

I'm grateful for the NL DH. Makes Davis' and Smith's defense less of a factor.

As for enthusiasm, it's better than nothing as far as I'm concerned.
                I agree -- No it isnt the optimum situation, but I rather have what we are getting than nothing at all. It would be pretty easy to complain about what we dont have this year but after the last 5 months I am grateful of what we do have in 2020.

Now that doesnt mean being willing to settle for this next year, but for this year - I'll take it.

Also agree on the DH.

With 14 teams making the playoffs .500 puts the Mets in the playoff hunt. 47% of the teams will make the playoffs so it doesnt take too much to get it done. In an odd year like this with the season being a sprint if any team can win 10 of 12 games in a stretch - they have played .833 baseball for 20% of the season. In a normal season that would be a nice run but not mean too much (as we have seen), but this year it will have a much bigger impact.

My point is - we have seen the Mets go on nice runs in each of the last two seasons - if they do that this year it is a much larger % of the actual season.

My guess is 31-32 wins locks up a playoff spot.

Comment

Lagares back in and Melky gone.

Lagares has a minor league deal.

Comment

The Mets have struck minor-league deals with outfielder Juan Lagares and infielder Brian Dozier, according to reports from Deesha Thosar of the New York Post and MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo. Both will join the 60-man player pool.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...an-dozier.html

Comment

The Mets announced that they’ve placed right-handers Marcus Stroman and Robert Gsellman on the injured list. Stroman, who was said to be experiencing tightness in his calf earlier today, has been now diagnosed with a tear of some extent in that ailing calf muscles. Gsellman is experiencing some discomfort in his right triceps.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ured-list.html

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        The Mets announced that they’ve placed right-handers Marcus Stroman and Robert Gsellman on the injured list. Stroman, who was said to be experiencing tightness in his calf earlier today, has been now diagnosed with a tear of some extent in that ailing calf muscles. Gsellman is experiencing some discomfort in his right triceps.

Stroman's injury sounds like a season ender. Gsellman will probably end up missing 2 weeks. That stinks on Stroman. It is a good thing the team did not end up moving one of their 6 SPs in the off season.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

Semantics.

A muscle pull or muscle strain is actually a tear to some degree. It all depends on the severity of the tear. The fact that it was "tight" may indicate that it isnt severely torn, but with the short season it could last the season.

Comment

The Mets' media-lauded rotation is already suffering serious injuries that'll be discussed every day on telecasts for sure?

WE ARE ALREADY IN MID-SEASON FORM! FEELS LIKE JULY METS BASEBALL ALREADY!

Oh well, it's still baseball...for however long it lasts, and hopefully it's safe and not something we come to regret...

I'm even ready to watch a Yankees/Nationals game with joy at this point. (Hello again, everyone.)
                            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                              The Mets' media-lauded rotation is already suffering serious injuries that'll be discussed every day on telecasts for sure?

WE ARE ALREADY IN MID-SEASON FORM! FEELS LIKE JULY METS BASEBALL ALREADY!

Oh well, it's still baseball...for however long it lasts, and hopefully it's safe and not something we come to regret...

I'm even ready to watch a Yankees/Nationals game with joy at this point. (Hello again, everyone.)
                              Hey Shea -- hope all is well.

Yes baseball is back - we wont regret it, but we have to deal with the circumstances.

What did you expect with the injuries? In 2019 they were pitching injury free for the most part. How do you think THAT team won 86 games?

That "luck" doesnt happen very often so now its time to pay the piper.

I guess the powers that be felt it was going to because they let Wheeler walk. Now after Jake --- Matz is the #2 with Porcello (who cant break an egg), and Wacha become important....too important.

The fun thing about the Mets is that their offense can be somewhat entertaining. They may lose some 9-8 games but watching them hit can be fun.
                              Last edited by Paulypal; 07-23-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X