No announcement yet.

Minaya must change approach with farm system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"To be fair, he was a converted catcher but I don't suggest taking pitching lessons from who ever taught him his motion."

True, but Carlos Marmol (a sidearmer), Edgar Martinez (the guy in the Red Sox system), and Joe Hietpas (great mechanics, but not MLB quality talent) are also all converted catchers who don't do what Owens does. I believe Owens invented his own mechanics and because he was in the Pirates system (worst pitching development program in baseball) at the beginning, nothing was ever done to correct him. Peterson tried working him exclusively out of the stretch to reduce some of his arm strain, but in '06 he was basically declared a lost cause. Some have said Owens' mechanics are literally the worst from a Mets prospect pitcher since we had Floyd Youmans.

"We as Met fans seem to get a little paranoid when trading prospects after the horrendous Kazmir deal"

Agreed. And I think that's why people are coming down so hard after guys with minimal MLB experience get traded. I remember especially when people were so horrified after we first got Paul Lo Duca. Even though his Mets career ended on a sour note, Paulie turned out to be a true fan favorite. Dante Brinkley as mentioned fell apart and Gaby Hernandez hasn't even close to lived up to his promise of being a top of the rotation starter.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
      True, but Carlos Marmol (a sidearmer), Edgar Martinez (the guy in the Red Sox system), and Joe Hietpas (great mechanics, but not MLB quality talent) are also all converted catchers who don't do what Owens does. I believe Owens invented his own mechanics and because he was in the Pirates system (worst pitching development program in baseball)
      Yeah. Owens' motion basically looks like someone told him to pitch as if he was a catcher throwing a guy out at second base. It also kind of reminded me of how kids with good arms in little league pitch

I haven't seen Hieptas pitch, I was very intrigued when I heard they converted him from a weak hitting catcher to a pitcher

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
        Here are the players the Mets gave up for the ones you mentioned:
        Scott Kazmir, Jose Diaz
        Dante Brinkley, Gaby Hernandez
        Brian Bannister
        Mike Jacobs, Yusmeiro Petit, Grant Psomas
        Evan MacLane
        Heath Bell, Royce Ring
        Henry Owens, Matt Lindstrom
        Drew Butera, Dustin Martin
        There are only 4 quality prospects in there, Kazmir, Bannister, Jacobs, and Lidstrom

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
          There are only 4 quality prospects in there, Kazmir, Bannister, Jacobs, and Lidstrom
          But then you add in Reyes, Wright, Milledge, Gomez and some of the upper current specs like Humber, Pelfrey, Mulvey, Martinez and if they were all still here it would look like a pretty solid system. except they'd still be a couple years from contending and would have contended the past two.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X