Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets Spring Training Update 2/21/06 #1

First Mets Spring Training Update:

Pedro Martínez played long toss for 10 minutes yesterday and said he could be ready to throw from the mound very soon, maybe this weekend. Martinez suggested he was throwing at 85-90% yesterday. He and the Mets is still waiting for Nike to send a corrected shoe after the problem with the cleat under his right toe on the first modified cleat.

Dae-Sung "Mr. Koo" is fighting for a spot in the Mets bullpen but is at a big disadvantage considering he will be leaving tomorrow to join Team Korea for the World Baseball Classic. Mets management has had talks with Koo's former Korean team, Hanwha, where he may wind up again.

Bartolomo Fortunato the other pitcher acquired in the Scott Kazmir deal is vying for a spot in the pen as well. Fortunato was injured all last season with a herniated disk, but claims he is "Brand New".

Pedro Feliciano who spent last season in Japan playing for Fukuoka had a
    3-2 record and a 3.89 ERA. He had greater success when Rick Peterson suggested he drop down while facing lefties.

Carlos Beltran arrived in camp yesterday. He plans in participating in drills today, two days before the first full squad work out.

Kaz matsui stopped by yesterday, but is opting to work out away from Mets facilities with his strength coach from the Seibu Lions who will travel with him all season.

Julio Franco arrived in camp yesterday wearing an Atlanta Braves t-shirt. Tom Glavine recommended he take it off.

David Wright plans to tone down his extra work outs this spring after wearing down and going 2-23 before the All-Star game in the teams final 5 games before the break.

Mike Pelfrey and Henry Owens are two young pitchers who have impressed the Mets staff so far this spring. Pelfrey is the mets 6-7 first round draft choice of out Wichitah State, and Owens was an undrafted free-agent out of college where he played catcher. The Mets selected him as a rule V draft pick. Owens struck out 111 batters in just over 78 innings between A-ball and Puerto Rican Winter ball. Minaya hans't ruled out bringing him up, and others feel he should be with the team bu August.
    14 37 41
    Hodges Stengel Seaver
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do, I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

i hope we get rid of kaz we have anderson hernandez bret boone keppinger and woodward why keep kaz ?
    Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

-Lou Brock-

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X