Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Mets Offseason Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

    That actually makes things much easier. Put McNeill back at 2nd where he belongs and keep Smith/Alonso for 1B/DH. Good riddance!
    Good riddance indeed. As I said in the Current Events forum, Cano news is good news.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

      Turner is 36.

      How about going to the Rockies and saying -- we will take Arenado off your hands -- you dont pay any of his contract, and we give you low level prospects.

      All of the deals I have seen for Arenado included Colorado paying some of the salary to get better prospects. Lets go the other way.

      Before the Colorado splits become a question -- we should look at the high altitude effects on players.Its real and it is a killer on players. Arenado will be awesome at sea level
      Good thought but I would be very surprised if they took it..
      North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

        A player gets attacked by a wild boar (wink wink) then another player gets popped for steroids and yet it worked in the teams favor.

        Strange days indeed.
        Pauly, you realize that trade was he Bug's legacy..
        North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

        Comment


        • When you think about it Cano has made some bad decisions but has also become a victim of the system. If he played his cards right he would be a lifelong all time great Yankee ready to retire and become a 1st ballot HOF.

          He chased the money and went to a practically irrelevant baseball city. By chasing that money, he was signed to a contract where any reasonable person should not expect him to perform to his standards during the last few years of that contract. To perform to those standards, he took a illegal substance which he thought would help him compete.

          He is a case study in how a bad system can affect someone. I hope people from the players association, the Commissioners Office and the owners care enough to realize this. Great for the Mets but really sad that his career went in this direction.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
            When you think about it Cano has made some bad decisions but has also become a victim of the system. If he played his cards right he would be a lifelong all time great Yankee ready to retire and become a 1st ballot HOF.

            He chased the money and went to a practically irrelevant baseball city. By chasing that money, he was signed to a contract where any reasonable person should not expect him to perform to his standards during the last few years of that contract. To perform to those standards, he took a illegal substance which he thought would help him compete.

            He is a case study in how a bad system can affect someone. I hope people from the players association, the Commissioners Office and the owners care enough to realize this. Great for the Mets but really sad that his career went in this direction.
            The problem is and the question that has to be asked is - has he ever played not using them?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

              The problem is and the question that has to be asked is - has he ever played not using them?
              Great question. We will never know. I would think in his younger years he did not need them. Did they get him his contract? They sure helped. It also created a mentality to give out contracts that will pay someone into their 40s. Brodie is better off fired. The press would have a field day asking him if he knew about Cano's drug use. I think we all know the answer.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

                Pauly, you realize that trade was he Bug's legacy..
                Well whatever he did is worth the pain at this point.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

                  Turner's fielding has gotten worse the past few seasons, according to Fangraphs. His batted ball numbers remain super. The only concern I see is a drop in his contact numbers from elite to good. His K% doesn't seem to be affected. I'm not sure if there's any reduction in his ability to handle the fastball. I'd guess he'd be very good for another couple years, based on information generally available. He's also a clubhouse leader, and proven winner.

                  I also think he'd be cost effective. Obviously, whether it's a good signing or not depends on the deal.

                  LeMahieu's been great, overall, but only very good on the road - not much power there. He went from Coors Field to a bandbox. Coupon Field remains difficult for hitters. LeMahieu would come at a premium price, and probably offer less than premium production as a Met. Same concern with Arenado.
                  I am not a fan of the Mets signing DJ - Coors has nothing to do with at as much as Yankee Stadium does. I believe in the Coors Effect coming out of altitude as too many players both Rocks and other teams talk about it. So a Colorado player doesnt scare me at all...such as Arenado.

                  Yankee Stadium makes right handed hitters better hitters. They always tell you wait as long as possible for pitch recognition. That is a huge advantage in Yankee Stadium. They wait - go to right - and because its is the size of Williamsport (or at least carries that way) its a homer. Every fly ball to right field in YS has a chance.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

                    Great question. We will never know. I would think in his younger years he did not need them. Did they get him his contract? They sure helped. It also created a mentality to give out contracts that will pay someone into their 40s. Brodie is better off fired. The press would have a field day asking him if he knew about Cano's drug use. I think we all know the answer.
                    A lot guys didnt need them, but they used them. Arod was his mentor and teammate for a decade.

                    Honestly - I dont blame Cano for using them early in his career. He got paid. We can criticize him all we want - he is going to make $200,000,000 on that contract. Now after the money is locked up it becomes murkier, but again I get it. These guys want to compete and be great - that need can exceed the reasons not to.

                    I dont bury anyone for using PED's - in fact I think they should be part of the game up to a point for all pro athletes run openly by the teams and medical staff.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                      A lot guys didnt need them, but they used them. Arod was his mentor and teammate for a decade.

                      Honestly - I dont blame Cano for using them early in his career. He got paid. We can criticize him all we want - he is going to make $200,000,000 on that contract. Now after the money is locked up it becomes murkier, but again I get it. These guys want to compete and be great - that need can exceed the reasons not to.

                      I dont bury anyone for using PED's - in fact I think they should be part of the game up to a point for all pro athletes run openly by the teams and medical staff.
                      Disagree but let me ask youths.. What point do we run it up to??
                      North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

                        Disagree but let me ask youths.. What point do we run it up to??
                        Not sure what level that would be but I would have some system created where they can take something for recovery at the very least. Not to the point of abuse, but that is why I said let the league/teams regulate it. I am not saying shoot up to the point of a bodybuilder with multiple cocktails or to gain 40 pounds of muscle.

                        The drug testing should make sure that the test levels are in a certain range and cant go above that - that is where the teams come into play. Little known secret - that is basically what the NFL does. If the player goes above that line - then he gets suspended. Take PED's away from the NFL and we would be watching flag football every Sunday. Baseball is not football physically obviously but I believe they should be allowed to alleviate some wear and tear.

                        I find it very odd that the anyone from the general public can have access to any drug they want including testosterone, but professional athletes in which many give up their bodies for their craft couldnt take what all of us could without getting suspended. There are things I can buy online that a pro athlete cant take because somehow they get held to a higher standard than another person. Makes no sense to me at all.


                        Chemical enhancement is never going away - people can use the term "steroid era" like it is a thing of the past, but there will always be some guys doing something and getting away with it. It is not as open as it was in the 1990's-2000's but it is there.............obviously.







                        Comment


                        • The Mets announced Friday that they’ve signed right-hander Sam McWilliams to a one-year, Major League contract. The 25-year-old has yet to make his MLB debut and spent the 2020 season in the Rays’ 60-man player pool.

                          https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...cwilliams.html
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                            The Mets announced Friday that they’ve signed right-hander Sam McWilliams to a one-year, Major League contract. The 25-year-old has yet to make his MLB debut and spent the 2020 season in the Rays’ 60-man player pool.

                            https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...cwilliams.html
                            I guess building up the farm system is part of the plan. This will make an excellent trivia question in ten years or so. I am sure there is more to come.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

                              I guess building up the farm system is part of the plan. This will make an excellent trivia question in ten years or so. I am sure there is more to come.
                              This signing got a whole column in the NY Post. Must be a slow day for New York sports.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                                Not sure what level that would be but I would have some system created where they can take something for recovery at the very least. Not to the point of abuse, but that is why I said let the league/teams regulate it. I am not saying shoot up to the point of a bodybuilder with multiple cocktails or to gain 40 pounds of muscle.

                                The drug testing should make sure that the test levels are in a certain range and cant go above that - that is where the teams come into play. Little known secret - that is basically what the NFL does. If the player goes above that line - then he gets suspended. Take PED's away from the NFL and we would be watching flag football every Sunday. Baseball is not football physically obviously but I believe they should be allowed to alleviate some wear and tear.

                                I find it very odd that the anyone from the general public can have access to any drug they want including testosterone, but professional athletes in which many give up their bodies for their craft couldnt take what all of us could without getting suspended. There are things I can buy online that a pro athlete cant take because somehow they get held to a higher standard than another person. Makes no sense to me at all.


                                Chemical enhancement is never going away - people can use the term "steroid era" like it is a thing of the past, but there will always be some guys doing something and getting away with it. It is not as open as it was in the 1990's-2000's but it is there.............obviously.






                                Pauly, I'm not sure I would totally agree with you. Medicine has come a long way since the Dead Ball era and many a career has been saved by today's medicine. However, the more drugs we use for medical purposes, the better the chance a particular drug may effect a athlete's performance. So what drug can we use and at what levels? Asking a sport/team to regulate itself in terms of medical is like asking Congress to police their own ethics.

                                Teams in all sports see athletes as business investments and treat them as such. Is that sports? maybe yes..maybe no. One could always argue that the use of medicinals is to protect their investments. You ask is there a max level of a medicinal that could be used. Good question. Who decides this? the team? the athlete? the team doctor? Good idea but is it really practical?

                                Sure, you can go into any health food store and buy all kinds of supplements which may contain enhancers. The general public buys them all the time. When I was in college, we would go to the family Doc and ask for uppers to help study around finals time.

                                Incidentally, I have 40 years experience as a Analytical Chemist and I will tell you that most of the performance enhancers will not show up during a analytical test. It's the metabolites that chemists analyze for. This makes it extremely difficult to monitor.

                                Yes,cheating does exist. We do hold athletes to a higher standard probably due to the fact they have a higher talent level.
                                North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X