Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Mets Offseason Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

    Speaking of center fielders and prospect pedigree, Kelenic is either the #11 or #7 prospect in baseball, depending on which rating organization you ask.
    Mather of the Mariners confirmed that Kelenic will be in left field in April in Seattle. They’ve offered him a “substantial” 6 year deal with options for more years. He turned it down. Said he’d bet on himself. I like this kid.

    Comment


    • Asked if the Mets would be scouting Yoenis Cespedes’ workout/showcase, Mets president Sandy Alderson responded, “We’re going to rent horses and ride to the workout.”
      https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...68963470843912
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
        Asked if the Mets would be scouting Yoenis Cespedes’ workout/showcase, Mets president Sandy Alderson responded, “We’re going to rent horses and ride to the workout.”
        https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...68963470843912
        Hysterical.

        Comment


        • The SF Giants have signed Scott Kazmir to a minor league deal. Not his son, THE Scott Kazmir. He last pitched in the majors 5 years ago. Wow.

          Comment


          • Mets sign Caleb Joseph:
            https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...eb-joseph.html
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

            Comment


            • Watched Mets Hot Stove last night. Acting GM Scott on. I couldn’t pick him out of a lineup.

              Nimmo wants to be CFer and Davis wants to be 3rd baseman. ST games should be interesting.

              I’m rooting for Taijuan Walker. Turk Wendell sent him a package of his quirky good luck items. Walker drank Tom Seaver wine when he celebrated signing his contract.

              And spring training games sold out in 9 minutes. Happens when your capacity is 1,400.

              Comment


              • Clay Davenport's Projections for 2021
                generated on 2-26-2021

                New York 93-69
                Atlanta 89-73
                Washington 88-74
                Philadelphia 85-77
                Miami 67-95
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                Comment


                • Matt den Dekker hired by Mets for a job in the minor leagues. He is one of the 3 lower case d Mets. de Grom the most prominent.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                    Clay Davenport's Projections for 2021
                    generated on 2-26-2021

                    New York 93-69
                    Atlanta 89-73
                    Washington 88-74
                    Philadelphia 85-77
                    Miami 67-95
                    Well I hope he is right, but I can easily see the Mets being in the Braves rear view mirror all season long.

                    I think the Braves are a superior team as of today.

                    The Mets have not done enough to improve to the point that they should be favored over the Braves when the Braves have at least as much to improve.

                    As always though -- we shall see -- they have to play the games.

                    EDIT: Pecota has the Mets at 96 wins and Braves at 82 wins. Personally I think its absurd, but I hope they are both right.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 02-27-2021, 07:11 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      EDIT: Pecota has the Mets at 96 wins and Braves at 82 wins. Personally I think its absurd, but I hope they are both right.
                      The Braves improved their pitching in the offseason. They didn't need to improve their lineup. They are not a .500 team.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post

                        The Braves improved their pitching in the offseason. They didn't need to improve their lineup. They are not a .500 team.
                        I agree. They signed Charlie Morton, and Soroka is coming back. They are going to be tough.

                        You never how it plays out but I can not make the Mets favored over the Braves. If their was a DH and the Mets were able to fix the defense I would have felt that the gap was closed some but right now I see a 8 win difference. 96/88
                        Last edited by Paulypal; 02-28-2021, 07:46 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                          I agree. They signed Charlie Morton, and Soroka is coming back. They are going to be tough.

                          You never how it plays out but I can not make the Mets favored over the Braves. If their was a DH and the Mets were able to fix the defense I would have felt that the gap was closed some but right now I see a 8 win difference. 96/88
                          I'm not sure the gap will be that big. A lot depends on what the Mets do with the talent they have. I've made no secret of my opinion that right now, McNeil at 3B and Guillorme at 2B should result in the most wins. Certainly, it should be the infield for ground ball pitchers. I think the Mets have the makings of a great bullpen. Familia still has the same stuff he always did, I think. Part of his problems involved not getting calls at the bottom of the zone. Perhaps the new catchers will make a difference. Diaz still has great stuff. May is a bit home run prone, but that might be less of a factor at Coupon Field. For what it's worth, Betances has supposedly looked good.

                          Morton had shoulder problems last season. Over the past decade, the Braves have had a lot of pitchers who've been good for brief periods, and then had career altering injuries. It might be something in the way they develop pitchers. I don't know. Either way, I don't think the gap is necessarily as big as you suggest.


                          "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                          Comment


                          • Mike Soroka is fantastic but with that injury last season I can see the Projection experts not counting on him. No way Atlanta is a .500 team with health.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

                              I'm not sure the gap will be that big. A lot depends on what the Mets do with the talent they have. I've made no secret of my opinion that right now, McNeil at 3B and Guillorme at 2B should result in the most wins. Certainly, it should be the infield for ground ball pitchers. I think the Mets have the makings of a great bullpen. Familia still has the same stuff he always did, I think. Part of his problems involved not getting calls at the bottom of the zone. Perhaps the new catchers will make a difference. Diaz still has great stuff. May is a bit home run prone, but that might be less of a factor at Coupon Field. For what it's worth, Betances has supposedly looked good.

                              Morton had shoulder problems last season. Over the past decade, the Braves have had a lot of pitchers who've been good for brief periods, and then had career altering injuries. It might be something in the way they develop pitchers. I don't know. Either way, I don't think the gap is necessarily as big as you suggest.
                              I hope you are right but the defense scares me and it will crush the pitching staff. I believe it is going to be their downfall

                              I agree McNeil at 3rd is the way to go and they made mention of it early on. If Davis Alonso Smith in left with Nimmo in cf is the alignment they are not a high caliber team

                              Comment


                              • Does Crow-Armstrong look a little like a pre steroid Lenny Dykstra? Great to watch baseball again, even if it is Spring Training. I have to figure out a way to move to FLA!!

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X