2020-2021 Mets Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Does Crow-Armstrong look a little like a pre steroid Lenny Dykstra? Great to watch baseball again, even if it is Spring Training. I have to figure out a way to move to FLA!!
    Don’t see it. He does look very young, which of course he is.
    Last edited by LI METS FAN; 03-02-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Does Crow-Armstrong look a little like a pre steroid Lenny Dykstra? Great to watch baseball again, even if it is Spring Training. I have to figure out a way to move to FLA!!
      I got to catch it on MLBN. I don't normally take ST very seriously, meaning I've never made a habit of scheduling my itinerary around the preseason games. Today was just one of those telecasts I'm glad I caught. Great to see baseball again indeed!

Are all preseason games 7 innings or just the first few games? I so hate the 7-inning MLB ballgame.

As for moving to Florida, one month of baseball isn't worth a year of humidity, at least not for me. For my money, cactus beats grapefruit every time.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I got to catch it on MLBN. I don't normally take ST very seriously, meaning I've never made a habit of scheduling my itinerary around the preseason games. Today was just one of those telecasts I'm glad I caught. Great to see baseball again indeed!

Are all preseason games 7 innings or just the first few games? I so hate the 7-inning MLB ballgame.

As for moving to Florida, one month of baseball isn't worth a year of humidity, at least not for me. For my money, cactus beats grapefruit every time.
        Thru March 13 ST games can be 5-7 innings. After that ST games may be 7 innings.
        Pitchers may leave games and return later. This happened in the Orioles game yesterday.

Comment

A sign of Spring is always nice. Also nice to see the young players. I went to spring training years ago. Me and my son stayed at a Homewood Suites. First morning at the breakfast buffet we see Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner grabbing a cup of coffee then getting into one of their pickup trucks and driving away. Spent the day walking from field to field. Got photos and autographs from RA Dickey, Johan Santana and big Pelf. Watched Wally Backman get pissed when an umpire was late and a scrimmage could not start. I told Wally I umped little league and if he gave me some cathers equipment I would ump the game. He kind of laughed, but he was really pissed. Guys on the bench thought it was funny. Came back to the hotel after dinner and went to the pool. Kevin Burkhardt was doing laps then called his family. Spoke to him for a few minutes and he told us how much he like spring training but how hard it was on his family.

Great experience and they were really a nice bunch of guys. I would highly recommend a trip. Destroyed my desire to talk about how much they "sucked" that season.

Comment

A sign of Spring is always nice. Also nice to see the young players. I went to spring training years ago. Me and my son stayed at a Homewood Suites. First morning at the breakfast buffet we see Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner grabbing a cup of coffee then getting into one of their pickup trucks and driving away. Spent the day walking from field to field. Got photos and autographs from RA Dickey, Johan Santana and big Pelf. Watched Wally Backman get pissed when an umpire was late and a scrimmage could not start. I told Wally I umped little league and if he gave me some cathers equipment I would ump the game. He kind of laughed, but he was really pissed. Guys on the bench thought it was funny. Came back to the hotel after dinner and went to the pool. Kevin Burkhardt was doing laps then called his family. Spoke to him for a few minutes and he told us how much he like spring training but how hard it was on his family.

Great experience and they were really a nice bunch of guys. I would highly recommend a trip. Destroyed my desire to talk about how much they "sucked" that season.
            This is the first spring in 9 years that we didn't go to spring training. Maybe next season. Last year we got back to NY on February 29th. First time didn't go to ST in mid-March. As they say there's a reason for everything.

You have great memories.

Comment

What a great memory! How fortuitous was it that you chose that particular hotel. Just awesome.

I've met many players over the years for things like autographs and such, but the closest I ever got to social interaction with Mets was in 1987 when I drove Darryl Strawberry and Terry Leach to Buttles in East Meadow from the Hicksville rail in my cab.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

This is the first spring in 9 years that we didn't go to spring training. Maybe next season. Last year we got back to NY on February 29th. First time didn't go to ST in mid-March. As they say there's a reason for everything.

You have great memories.
                I've never been to ST, which is somewhat surprising considering my grandparents lived in Miami from 1972 to 1991, and my grandfather, the man who got me into baseball, was a big Met fan. Nevertheless, we never went.

I'd still love to go, tho.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

What a great memory! How fortuitous was it that you chose that particular hotel. Just awesome.

I've met many players over the years for things like autographs and such, but the closest I ever got to social interaction with Mets was in 1987 when I drove Darryl Strawberry and Terry Leach to Buttles in East Meadow from the Hicksville rail in my cab.
                  Wow! You must have been surprised as hell when they got in the car.

Comment

Wow! You must have been surprised as hell when they got in the car.
                    As much as I'd like to say I was, I kinda wasn't. I was excited and all, but we got word ahead of time that they were on the train and would need the ride, so the proverbial red carpet was rolled out with the chariot awaiting. And let's just say I wanted it more than the other drivers. So while there was surprise, it had technically worn off by the time they got in the car.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Strawberry and Leach? That's an odd couple. Maybe Carter and Dykstra would have been odder, or Wilson and Orosco, but it's still hard to imagine them hanging out. What were they like to drive? Anything memorable?

I don't know if Leach got recognized often. I never heard a bad thing said about Strawberry with regard to behavior towards fans. He was supposed to have generally been nice.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Strawberry and Leach? That's an odd couple. Maybe Carter and Dykstra would have been odder, or Wilson and Orosco, but it's still hard to imagine them hanging out. What were they like to drive? Anything memorable?

I don't know if Leach got recognized often. I never heard a bad thing said about Strawberry with regard to behavior towards fans. He was supposed to have generally been nice.
                        I don't recall all the specifics (anymore), but I do remember there was zero negativity and we didn't talk about baseball. They were looking forward to a night of fun, so the atmosphere was ripe with pearly whites. And if the amount of sniffling was any indication, they were already having fun.

If I remember correctly, the rest of the guys going to the night club had already arrived and these two were stragglers. I do remember them saying they had signed a lot of autographs on the train, so they wouldn't mind signing my trip sheet (which I still have, of course). As you say, I'm sure Leach got that much attention due to his traveling companion.

Overall, I remember it as a very enjoyable 15-minute ride, especially for a 23-year-old dyed-in-the-wool fan.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mets 67 View Post
                          Now get Springer, Bauer, Odorizzi and maybe Hand and that will be a heck of an off season.
                          I was hoping the Mets would sign Jake Odorizzi, because then everyone at the plate when Todd Frazier hit the home run that prompted me to make my thumbs-down gesture would have subsequently played in Queens. (Wilson Ramos, the Rays' catcher in 2017, played for the Mets in 2019 and 2020.)

That's not going to happen, because Odorizzi signed a two-year deal with Houston.

Too bad. If he had signed with the Mets, I could have invited him out for a beer and commiserated with him over that home run.

On the other hand, that was over three years ago, and Odorizzi's a professional so more likely than not he's already gotten over it.

Besides... I don't drink beer.

X

Comment

• I dunno Gary. I was hoping they'd sign him because they could use the extra starter.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Hope Carrasco delay in pitching isn’t too long. Read on MLB email this morning that the Indians are impressed by Gimenez at SS. Asked Rosario to take reps at CF. Should be interesting to follow their season.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                                .... the Indians are impressed by Gimenez at SS.
                                Not surprising.
                                Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X