Haren's off the market, so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haren's off the market, so...

...what does Omar do now? Is there any word of how aggressively he is pushing for Santana? I am thinking that the Mets have to be at least third in line behind the Yankees and Red Sox given we don't have as much to give up. I'm not saying we SHOULD trade Reyes, but the Twins just picking up Everett makes that a fairly moot point.

What should Omar do?
    :cap:

well the mets have been out of the haren loop for awhile now, there chances of getting santana are slim to none. there really isnt any chance of them picking up an "ace" there isnt really much out there, and the asking price for any decent pitching is very high.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemets View Post
      well the mets have been out of the haren loop for awhile now, there chances of getting santana are slim to none. there really isnt any chance of them picking up an "ace" there isnt really much out there, and the asking price for any decent pitching is very high.

Yeah, I think that pretty much nails it.

Comment

I'll say it now...we're not getting an ace. Period.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemets View Post
          "Slim to none" is to much. The chances are 0%!!!
          I looked at the stats of those six guys, and they where amazing!!!!
          Even with Gomez, Martinez, Pelfrey, Humber, Smith, Heilman: forget it.
          Even Reyes straight up for Johan: No way! MAYBE Wright, Reyes, Gomez, Martinez, Humber and Pelfrey, but this isn't happening (which is a good thing).
          Just look at the stats of those six guys and it's clear (for me), that we are at a point in baseball where you need to have a VERY GOOD farm system and must hope for good FAs. You can forget to trade for all-star players.

BTW, here are the stats of the six guys: OF Carlos Gonzales, OF Aaron Cunningham, 1B Chris Carter, and Pitchers Brett Anderson, Greg Smith and Dana Eveland.
          We've nothing close to that, so forget it
          Last edited by freshprince85; 12-15-2007, 01:25 AM.
          sorry for some grammar mistakes

Comment

It's Santana or bust for the Mets. I rather mortgage the future for the best pitcher in baseball than pray they our prospects become the next Generation K.

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
            I'll say it now...we're not getting an ace. Period.
            If that is the case, this team wins no more than 85 games.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

"If that is the case, this team wins no more than 85 games."

I'll take that bet. I get the over, you get the under, 85 games neutral. You win and I'll remove my avatar for a week with the subhead "lost a bet." I win and...well...you do the same. How's that sound?
              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

You have a deal.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Thanks. Because I'm sure that roughly 20 starts from Pedro along with a healthy, existing number five starter (probably Livan, who is a million times better than the dreck that was appearing in the number five spot last year), plus John Maine and Oliver Perez having pitched full seasons now will make us worse than we were last year...when we won OVER 85 games.

Comment

Yeah, 3 games over. Let's not forget the offense took a step backwards this off-season. Delgado is likely going to slide and Alou will probably miss more games (though I personally believe he will have a career year and play 130). Also, the bullpen still sucks.

Comment

bullpen pitchers vary so much from year to year. It's very conceivable that our pen could again be a strength in 2008.
                      "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

We lost Milledge and Lo Duca, as well as Shawn Green. We gained Ryan Church and Brian Schneider. I don't care what you think about Schneider, we did not take an offensive step backwards. Not to mention half the lineup was injured last year and there were spots where literally any given player was an automatic out. IMO, the offense won't be as spotty last year. The shakeup of the coaching staff affected it FAR more than you may think.

Comment

I didn't say it was a major step backwards, I just don't expect them to be as productive.

Comment

I always felt like the mets would never get haren
                            omar seems to have no luck negotiating with billy beane...

If the twins accept an offer that doesn't wright, reyes, maine or perez, Omar needs to pull the trigger

Comment

Originally posted by RubyLegs View Post
                              I always felt like the mets would never get haren
                              omar seems to have no luck negotiating with billy beane...

If the twins accept an offer that doesn't wright, reyes, maine or perez, Omar needs to pull the trigger

I still say the Twins can't push THAT hard with Santana because of the extension. Three prospects is plenty. Do we have them, compared to Red Sox and Yankees? No. Trading Wright or Reyes would be extremely counterproductive. But do we keep them, with modest pitching and don't win, or do we roll the dice and make a huge trade for Santana, and does that guarantee a win? Hardly. It's kinda tough to know how much to go for it now, and how much to save for the future.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X