• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Stroman pitching a heck of a game.
    Yes he did - that was encouraging.

Comment

• Mets win!
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• The Dodgers announced they’ve acquired outfielder Billy McKinney from the Mets for outfield prospect Carlos Rincon. New York had designated McKinney for assignment earlier in the week. To create space on the roster, Los Angeles designated reliever Jake Reed for assignment.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...from-mets.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I read two books by Dorfman. Both were on hitting. He has great insight to the mind of a hitter (cant comment on the pitching side - I am sure he is excellent there also). He wrote a lot about dealing with failure, slumps while not losing confidence. Which is the mountain hitters must climb.

I work with a couple of local kids on hitting..mechanics and such, but one thing I preach constantly is not having confidence waiver. As a hitter you will fail.....a lot but that is the nature of hitting hence making an out 70% of the time gets you into the HOF.

It is amazing how much sports - baseball especially - is mental and confidence.

There have been times when Diaz came in games and you just knew he wasnt feeling it. He was afraid - he didnt believe in his stuff and the results showed.

There are swings you take as a hitter that you know you are going to hit, then there are swings you take that you just hope you dont make an out. We all know which one produces results.

I am sure it is the same with pitching. When you throw a pitch with conviction the hitter is in trouble....when you throw a pitch with "hope" - it ends up in the seats.
          All of life works that way. Perhaps it's just subjective, but it seems like if you believe in your mission, you perform better.

I was unaware Dorfman had written books. What are his methods for dealing with failure and confidence. As I recall, I saw a video with Dorfman and Halladay, and key was the ability to forget the previous at bat, and start the next one with a clear mind.

On another note, I'm sorry McKinney's gone. He was useful. I have the feeling the Mets will need more depth before the season is over.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

All of life works that way. Perhaps it's just subjective, but it seems like if you believe in your mission, you perform better.

I was unaware Dorfman had written books. What are his methods for dealing with failure and confidence. As I recall, I saw a video with Dorfman and Halladay, and key was the ability to forget the previous at bat, and start the next one with a clear mind.

On another note, I'm sorry McKinney's gone. He was useful. I have the feeling the Mets will need more depth before the season is over.
            I agree all of life works this way, but in baseball you fail in front of a lot of people, and you fail a lot more than you succeed. If I failed 70% of the time at work I wouldnt be going into my companies HOF. I realize that a lot is subjective but even at little league level when a kid strikes out its in front of 40-50 people. So there is added pressure knowing that you are being watched. MLB players fail in front of thousands and then millions on highlight shows. It is very easy to get your confidence rattled.

A couple of things he spoke about while slumping or failing was not throwing a tantrum ala Paul O'Neill. Dont be that guy. Although I happen to like O'Neill. He also talked about relying on your memory of successes. That you know you have done it before and you can again. As you mentioned he talked about forgetting the previous at bat etc....... Which is much easier said than done and it takes a lot of discipline to do so.

Actually being that this came up I am going to skim the books the again.

I think the most confident player I have ever seen in MLB as a hitter was Barry Bonds. Even pre video game numbers with the Pirates - he just always presented himself like he was better than you. That came off the wrong way to a lot of people, but that was his defense for not falling into the mental abyss. I am sure he had his confidence dented along the way but it didnt show much.

Sometimes you can watch a slumping player and the body language tells you everything you need to know. 0-3 can become 1-27 in a blink. Its amazing how the best players in the world question their abilities after all the success they have had in their lives in the sport. Amazing but it happens in a big way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I read two books by Dorfman. Both were on hitting. He has great insight to the mind of a hitter (cant comment on the pitching side - I am sure he is excellent there also). He wrote a lot about dealing with failure, slumps while not losing confidence. Which is the mountain hitters must climb.

I work with a couple of local kids on hitting..mechanics and such, but one thing I preach constantly is not having confidence waiver. As a hitter you will fail.....a lot but that is the nature of hitting hence making an out 70% of the time gets you into the HOF.

It is amazing how much sports - baseball especially - is mental and confidence.

There have been times when Diaz came in games and you just knew he wasnt feeling it. He was afraid - he didnt believe in his stuff and the results showed.

There are swings you take as a hitter that you know you are going to hit, then there are swings you take that you just hope you dont make an out. We all know which one produces results.

I am sure it is the same with pitching. When you throw a pitch with conviction the hitter is in trouble....when you throw a pitch with "hope" - it ends up in the seats.
              Probably because success and failure aren't just cognitive experiences, they're felt phenomena. Neurotransmitters are almost certainly involved. Your last experience is a felt memory. It overwhelms conscious thought. I think we've all experienced it.

You ride one success into another. It emboldens you. You try to surpass yourself. If you care about something, failure carries you in the opposite direction.

Could be closing has become a traumatic thing for Diaz, and it's in his limbic system. I think a man like Dorfman should be on the Mets' payroll. Beyond Diaz, mastery of the psychological game would help all the players. Some are naturally adept at handling the ups and downs. If all the players could be, it could be worth a few wins. If nothing else, the clubhouse would probably be a more pleasant place.

Comment

• Mets acquire Rich Hill for Tommy Hunter and Matt Dyer.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...hill-mets.html

The swap will come as a surprise to many, given the Rays’ place in the standings and last night’s acquisition of Nelson Cruz, but it serves as another reminder that in today’s game, many clubs can’t be simply boxed into strict “buyer” or “seller” categories.

Hill, 41, has pitched to a 3.87 ERA through 95 1/3 innings so far in 2021, but he’s also struggled rather considerably since mid-June. In his past seven starts, he’s tallied just 33 1/3 innings and yielded 20 runs on 34 hits and 16 walks. Seven of those hits have left the yard, and Hill’s 28 strikeouts (19.3 percent) in that time represent a pretty pronounced decline.

Overall, Hill is sitting on a 5.40 ERA and 5.25 SIERA since June 12. As Sherman observes (Twitter link), he’s seen his spin rates drop considerably in the aftermath of MLB’s crackdown on foreign substances. I’d add that it may not be coincidental that Hill began incorporating a changeup (ideally a low-spin offering) into his pitch mix in early June. The 41 changeups he’s thrown over his past eight starts are already the most he’s thrown in a season since 2009.

I have no idea how this will pan out, but seems like everyone was unhappy with most of the solutions, so far. Though Eickhoff wasn't really responsible for all the problems in his last outing.

We never did see much of Tommy Hunter. I remember one appearance. He was sent to balance off salary in the deal. He's supposed to be out for the year. The trade was for Dyer.

Rays usually win trades. If Hill is as good as he's been the last few years, this should help, but the last paragraph I posted sounds ominous. Furthermore, Dyer looks like he might be useful. He was a 4th round pick last year. I hope Hill provides value.

Historically, soft throwing left-handers coming from the A.L. to the NL have done well. But I have to think back to John Tudor and Bob Ojeda to remember specific names. Hope Hill carries on that tradition.
                Last edited by Mongoose; 07-23-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                  Mets acquire Rich Hill for Tommy Hunter and Matt Dyer.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...hill-mets.html

The swap will come as a surprise to many, given the Rays’ place in the standings and last night’s acquisition of Nelson Cruz, but it serves as another reminder that in today’s game, many clubs can’t be simply boxed into strict “buyer” or “seller” categories.

Hill, 41, has pitched to a 3.87 ERA through 95 1/3 innings so far in 2021, but he’s also struggled rather considerably since mid-June. In his past seven starts, he’s tallied just 33 1/3 innings and yielded 20 runs on 34 hits and 16 walks. Seven of those hits have left the yard, and Hill’s 28 strikeouts (19.3 percent) in that time represent a pretty pronounced decline.

Overall, Hill is sitting on a 5.40 ERA and 5.25 SIERA since June 12. As Sherman observes (Twitter link), he’s seen his spin rates drop considerably in the aftermath of MLB’s crackdown on foreign substances. I’d add that it may not be coincidental that Hill began incorporating a changeup (ideally a low-spin offering) into his pitch mix in early June. The 41 changeups he’s thrown over his past eight starts are already the most he’s thrown in a season since 2009.

I have no idea how this will pan out, but seems like everyone was unhappy with most of the solutions, so far. Though Eickhoff wasn't really responsible for all the problems in his last outing.

We never did see much of Tommy Hunter. I remember one appearance. He was sent to balance off salary in the deal. He's supposed to be out for the year. The trade was for Dyer.

Rays usually win trades. If Hill is as good as he's been the last few years, this should help, but the last paragraph I posted sounds ominous. Furthermore, Dyer looks like he might be useful. He was a 4th round pick last year. I hope Hill provides value.

Historically, soft throwing left-handers coming from the A.L. to the NL have done well. But I have to think back to John Tudor and Bob Ojeda to remember specific names. Hope Hill carries on that tradition.
                  41 YO.. If this is the best, we got major problems. Yea, I know, they don't want to give up anything..Tampa is laughing about this..
                  North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Former Mets catcher Mike Piazza in the house tonight, chatting up current Mets catcher James McCann.
                    https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...77825863929863

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

41 YO.. If this is the best, we got major problems. Yea, I know, they don't want to give up anything..Tampa is laughing about this..
                      For what it's worth, Hill's nickname in LA was "Mister Blister".
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Tylor Megill equals pleasant surprise.

Comment

• Four pitches in that inning, four!

Comment

• P-E-T-E. Pete and that pony !

Comment

• Mets win 3-0, this was a good, clean game with good defense and good pitching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                                Mets win 3-0, this was a good, clean game with good defense and good pitching.

Excellent.

It's worth a mention, but I checked Alonso's Statcast numbers. They say he should be having a better season than his real life numbers have shown.

No reason he shouldn't have a strong second half.

I notice Guillorme's up to .300, which is a mild surprise.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X