This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

If I remember, wasn't there a game where Ron Darling broke his wrist while trying to field some sort of infield popup on September 1987? He wrote it still bothers him to this day and the Mets fell out of the playoff race.
    Darling injured his thumb in THAT Terry Pendleton game on a squibber or bunt by Vince Coleman. Darling was in cruise control and dominating that game up to that point.

Here is the story about the first two games of that series. The next day Gooden got beat.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...515-story.html

The Cards came into Shea 1.5 games up on the Mets with 3 to play. The Mets were dominating that Friday night so you figure the are .5 games back with Gooden on the mound. So .5 up on the Cards by Saturday night. Nope. 3 1/2 back.

Also - the pen blew that Friday night game............even then fans had no patience for bullpens.

Jesse Orosco were called ...Jesse Fiasco, and Roger McDowell was called Roger McDoubtful.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I was recalling the A's/Giants incident, but tonight was truly weird. It's a blessing that in 2021 they can pop them back on and continue almost seamlessly.
      In 1977 I was in the upper deck of Shea when the Black Out hit....the big one. Jerry Koosman just struck out and Lenny Randle stepped in the box and lights out. How we drove home that night back to Brooklyn is beyond me. God bless Mr Meyers (my friends father) for getting us home that night. LOL

The city was in a panic because the light were out...looting was taking place and Son of Sam was out there. Yep the good ole' days.

Comment

The Mets have fired hitting coaches Chili Davis and Tom Slater tonight. Hugh Quattlebaum (minor-league hitting coordinator) and Kevin Howard (farm director) will take over, respectively.

https://twitter.com/TimBritton/statu...25610209087493
        I guess nothing should surprise us. Last year the guy was a genius.

Someone mentioned above that Chili should go...well he's gone. Seems like a panic move to appease...........someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Someone mentioned above that Chili should go...well he's gone. Seems like a panic move to appease...........someone.
          Scott said it was his decision. I know, who? Funny how he can fly under the radar like that.

Comment

Also - the pen blew that Friday night game............even then fans had no patience for bullpens.

Jesse Orosco were called ...Jesse Fiasco, and Roger McDowell was called Roger McDoubtful.
            And the fans despised Doug Sisk
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

And the fans despised Doug Sisk
              You mean Doug Risk.

They had unreliable nicknames.

Comment

I agree. Davis was not a liability, if you ask me. Just the opposite. But whatever.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

I agree. Davis was not a liability, if you ask me. Just the opposite. But whatever.
                  This is so Mets:

Over the weekend Mets players, most notably Pete Alonso, referred to Donnie Stevenson, a fictional coach who had helped get the team fired up offensively. Davis chuckled at the mention of Donnie Stevenson and admitted the fictional character probably didn’t help his cause.

LI METS mentioned this the other day and I didnt know what it was about, but with the firing I read the above,

So now the Mets are making up fictional characters that "help the team get fired up".

I guess the league went from steroids to LSD.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Scott said it was his decision. I know, who? Funny how he can fly under the radar like that.
                    Maybe he is a made up GM that Alonso made up to fire the team up as part of the NY Met LSD protocol.

Comment

This is so Mets:

Over the weekend Mets players, most notably Pete Alonso, referred to Donnie Stevenson, a fictional coach who had helped get the team fired up offensively. Davis chuckled at the mention of Donnie Stevenson and admitted the fictional character probably didn’t help his cause.

LI METS mentioned this the other day and I didnt know what it was about, but with the firing I read the above,

So now the Mets are making up fictional characters that "help the team get fired up".

Hehe.

I think I see what's going on. I'm guessing Rojas and the players felt that these guys who were let go were too subdued. That they and Rojas feel the dugout needs more coaches that are "fired up". And any new hirings will be more like this Donnie Stevenson, who is purely symbolic.

I could be entirely wrong.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

• I thought of the Donnie Stevenson when I heard Davis was fired. It could be connotated as a lack of respect for the hitting coach for them to good about it or(as is more likely) youthful lack of foresight as to consequences or perception from other than the target audience

Comment

Hehe.

I think I see what's going on. I'm guessing Rojas and the players felt that these guys who were let go were too subdued. That they and Rojas feel the dugout needs more coaches that are "fired up". And any new hirings will be more like this Donnie Stevenson, who is purely symbolic.

I could be entirely wrong.
                          What's ailing the Mets is not only ailing the Mets, it's endemic throughout MLB. From what I'm hearing, we're on track to have the most pitching-dominant season since 1968. Did the other teams fire their hitting coaches, too?
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

This is so Mets:

It’s the Zoom post game interviews. Must be driving the players crazy. We’re probably doomed to zoom the whole season unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                              What's ailing the Mets is not only ailing the Mets, it's endemic throughout MLB. From what I'm hearing, we're on track to have the most pitching-dominant season since 1968. Did the other teams fire their hitting coaches, too?
                              To what do you think they attribute this pitching dominance? I don't know what's much different from just a coupla years to have such a dramatic effect on this year's play. I mean, I'd say the reasons for 1968 are well documented. Any idea what's different this year, because I'm clueless. I know the ball lost a few inches on distance, but why such low BA's, lower-scoring games, etc?

Obviously, it's not the coaches en masse. I'm just pointing out a possible psychology behind the existence of the character and these firings.
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

• deGrom scratched. Right side tightness. Yuck

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X