Mets give fans holiday present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets give fans holiday present

Guess what the front office is giving us this year? Increased prices on tickets.

Yep. After the biggest choke job in baseball and infinitesimal improvements to the team, they're making us pay more to see a team that will probably win 85 games at best.

The said the average increase will be 20%. Either way it sucks.

http://www.metsblog.com/2007/12/16/n...rice-increase/
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

20%??? That is way above the rate of inflation. Not inflation of player salaries maybe, but inflation in general.
    :cap:

Comment

For what it's worth, they did increase the payroll 13% from 06-07 and I believe it's going to be even higher this season. Also the new stadium was funded out of ownerships pocket. It's not like they are having firesales every 2 years, pocketing revenue sharing and not putting money toward the new building like other teams in baseball.

And the collapse last year had nothing to do with them being cheap. Omar has full autonamy of the team. He even had the money to blow on Zito if he wanted to. The economics of the game are totally different then the baseball decisions.

The ticket prices got raised because more people showed up at Shea the last 2 years then ever before. It's these darn Yankee fans who hopped on the bandwagon that are doing it. They filled up the stadium and caused a higher demand.

Comment

How is payroll going up?

Glavine & Mota are coming off. How much was added?

Comment

Unless payroll will go up with the signing of a pitcher. It better not be Carlos Silva.
          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Mets is raise tix price despite an awful offseason and a team worse off from last season?

Comment

Originally posted by Mex4Prez View Post
              The ticket prices got raised because more people showed up at Shea the last 2 years then ever before. It's these darn Yankee fans who hopped on the bandwagon that are doing it. They filled up the stadium and caused a higher demand.

Yankee fans who hopped on the bandwagon ??? Are these the same Yankee fans who flock to Yankee Stadium at the rate of over 4.3 million ???
              If the Yankees collapsed like the Mets did, (and George was still healthy and in charge) the Yankees would have signed every free agent available, the GM and Mgr would have been fired, and their fans would be optimistic. Instead, Met fans get 20% price increases, no improvement on the field, and Omar and Willie give us their dumb and dumber routine again.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                Yankee fans who hopped on the bandwagon ??? Are these the same Yankee fans who flock to Yankee Stadium at the rate of over 4.3 million ???
                If the Yankees collapsed like the Mets did, (and George was still healthy and in charge) the Yankees would have signed every free agent available, the GM and Mgr would have been fired, and their fans would be optimistic. Instead, Met fans get 20% price increases, no improvement on the field, and Omar and Willie give us their dumb and dumber routine again.

I'm sure Mex4Prez was just joking, but just because the Yankees would sign up every FA going doesn't make it a good thing.

Comment

I have a simple solution to this, dont buy tickets. let em eat the tix

Comment

People will end up going b/c it's the last season for Shea.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                      People will end up going b/c it's the last season for Shea.
                      And that's why they can get away with it.

Also, those who buy at these prices this year get first shot at tix for the new field which will be tougher to get because of the smaller number of seats. Yep, seems they've got everyone there.

Comment

This is unfortunatley the nature of the game. For what its worth, the mets still have the cheapest tickets of all the major sports in the area. If that's not good enough and you feel the team is being poorly run then just dont go. Watch it on tv.

And by the way.......Which free agent would you like the team to sign??? Name someone who was/is out there who is worth the $$ they are commanding. The free agent market is NOT what it used to be. Teams sign their guys up alot quicker now than 4, 5 and 6 years ago. In order to keep a competitive team on the field, it has to be done from within and making astute trades. And sometimes that takes some patience. But I guess new yorkers arent known for that.
                        "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                          And by the way.......Which free agent would you like the team to sign??? Name someone who was/is out there who is worth the $$ they are commanding. The free agent market is NOT what it used to be. Teams sign their guys up alot quicker now than 4, 5 and 6 years ago. In order to keep a competitive team on the field, it has to be done from within and making astute trades. And sometimes that takes some patience. But I guess new yorkers arent known for that.
                          Well, I think I would have opened the vault and made a real attrempt to sign A-Rod. The METS need to compete with the Yankees, for attention and at the gate. YES is worth far more than Sportsnet, and A-ROD is the number one draw in baseball. Also, the new Yankee Stadium will get all of the attention over Citifield. And do not be surprised if "Citifield " is NOT the name forever. Citicorp is in a huge mess and tens of thousands of employees could get the ax. Do the names Enron Field, 3Com park, etc ring a bell ??

The Yankees do not need to sell their name !!!

As Steinbrenner said years ago "when you are the lead dog, your view never changes"

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            The METS need to compete with the Yankees, for attention and at the gate.
                            I disagree. The Mets need to compete with the Braves and Phillies for the NL East. They do a good job of that and the gate will take care of itself. Let the Yankees grab all the headlines as they throw silly money at guys like Pavano and Giambi. If it would take $300mil and 10 years to get A-Rod - no thanks. No player is worth that, no matter how much you buy into the hype.

Comment

Folks who can afford season tickets in 2007 can afford to pay to pay 20% more in 2008.

Complaining about increased season ticket prices is like complaining that Lexus' cost more and more each year.

If you can't afford it, don't drive it.

If you can't afford tickets to 81 home games, go to 40 and watch the rest on tv.

No one will question your dedication to the team.

I promise.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X