Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Mets Offseason Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2021-2022 Mets Offseason Thread

    I realize it's a bit premature to start this thread, but I think everyone is ready.

    How would you improve the team going forward?

    Hopefully due diligence has been done for an all new front office.

    I don't know what they'll do, but centering the offense around the home run doesn't seem to work here. Get speedy, high BABIP type hitters. Steal some bases, use the hit-and-run to open holes in the infield. Tailor the team, and tactics, to the stadium.

    What do you think?


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  • #2
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

    I am hoping it does not impact the regular season. The lockout will undoubtedly have a big impact on the off season. Whether that will help or harm the Mets remains to be seen.

    Regardless, these are some of the notable players on the Mets in their walk years:

    Noah Syndargaard
    Marcus Strohman
    Aaron Loup
    Michael Conforto
    Javier Baez
    Jonathan Villar

    Let's also not forget that the best pitcher in the world, Jacob deGrom, can opt out at the end of 2022 and should probably be extended this year before that can happen.

    The Mets also have a gaping hole at third base, Robinson Cano returning, and Bandon Nimmo is their only true outfielder.

    None of this can be addressed during a lockout and when the new CBA is enacted, it will likely come with no QO for free agents.
    I would make an effort to resign Stroman. I think he's an integral part of a winning rotation. I'd also take Loup for another year. He sure proved himself outta the pen. But nothing long term. Relief shouldn't be long term imo. Two years max.

    And okay, I think Baez has shown he's worth approaching with seriousness. I don't like his immaturity, but there's no denying he's a net positive.

    Conforto I'd let walk. Let him play the market. Villar I'd let walk too, unless he can be signed on the cheap as a bench player.

    Syndergaard is now such a question mark. One inning with 2 Ks does not a season make. Anything can happen next year. Is he worth the risk? I would say yes. But not long term. Nothing wrong with giving him a lotta money without too much commitment. Wow, what a novel concept.

    And just sign deGrom. Don't wait.

    As for Cano, can't he just be released? He has zero role on the team, even with an NL DH.

    Forgive my ignorance but who are some of the notable FAs this offseason?


    P.S. I figure my reply to JJ's post would be better served for fodder here.
    Last edited by milladrive; 09-29-2021, 11:28 PM.
    Put it in the books.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good call on moving this to the off season thread. I agree Stroman is a top target. I'd also try to extend Syndergaard within reason. Unlike Wheeler, we do not know if Syndergaard will be like Harvey or Wheeler post TJ surgery. I think he is an amazing pitcher. Can he stay healthy for a full season?

      Loup I'd offer a nice 2 year deal to and see what happens. We all know what bullpen pitching is like and how volatile it can be. Outside of him, what to do about Diaz? He had a ho hum year. I'd like to see them trade him for some prospects. He is not an ace closer and gets rattled too easily for that role. I'd try Tylor Megill or Seth Lugo in the closer role rather than try to go out and sign a big name closer. Megill has nerves of steel, but his peripherals suggest he is better suited as a bullpen role. That is also be true of Taijuan Walker. We'll have to see how the pitching is handled.

      Familia bounced back this year. In fact, 15 bullpen pitchers posted ERA+'s over 100 and under 120 this year. That means they had a decent, but not great bullpen. It was a definite improvement on the past few years, though.

      Conforto, I'd extend a QO to and see if he takes it. If he does, he has a lot to prove. If not, I let him test the open market.

      Cano can be released, but he has $48,000,000.00 remaining on his contract and the team would be on the hook for $40,500,000.00 less the league minimum if another team snatched him up. I doubt even Steve Cohen can let that much money just go. He will be on the team next year in some role whether we like it or not.

      As far as FAs go this year, in terms of pitching, the top three are Scherzer, Stroman and Syndergaard in that order. As far as position players go, there is a glut of good to great middle infielders making Baez resigning more likely than one would think.

      Whatever happens this off season, I believe the Mets will take another 2-3 years before they are anything more than mediocre given how many holes they have to plug. Throwing a lot of money around will just add to the mediocrity. The organization really needs a new infrastructure and better player development. None of those happen overnight.

      Predictions: Baez gets retained and McNeil stays on the team and plays the outfield next year. Nimmo stays in center. JD Davis, Diaz, and D.Smith are traded. Villar walks and signs with Philly. The rest, who knows? It will depend on who the new GM is and whether or not the league is in lockout mode when that GM is hired.
      Last edited by jjpm74; 09-30-2021, 07:34 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don’t tell fans how to spend their money ; I don’t tell players what they should play for ; and I don’t become a fantasy league GM playing with Monopoly money .

        That being said , I would be very leery offering Noah or Jake any long term contracts . Where is Harvey ? Matz? Wheeler ? They were 60% of the Fab Five . Only two are still Mets .

        Noah has a lot to prove as he really has never had a CYA season over his 7 seasons . Father Time doesn’t stop even when you are on the injured list .

        Jake has become MLB’s best 6 inning pitcher but he isn’t a kid anymore and pitchers usually don’t become MORE durable as they get older .

        When Matt Harvey and Chris Sale were the two ‘can’t miss’ aces , the Mets and White Sox found out nothing is set in stone . It’s not my money so if the Mets open the vault for Noah and Jake it has nothing to do with my wallet , but as a fan I would look to spend that money elsewhere .

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd offer Noah a QO if that's still a thing. If another team offers more then can negotiate. I think he wants to stay in NY.
          Unless it turns out Conforto was injured this year maybe make him a QO. But Boras will go where the money is so at least that's a known right away.

          Comment


          • #6
            The New York Mets today announced the club will not pick up the option on Manager Luis Rojas for the 2022 season. In addition, decisions regarding the remaining coaching staff will be made over the next several days. The Mets have offered Rojas the opportunity to remain in the organization in a yet to be determined capacity.

            “The entire Mets organization is grateful for the dedication and devotion that Luis has exhibited over the last two seasons as manager,” said President Sandy Alderson. “He has shown a great commitment to the Mets over many years in multiple capacities. These decisions are never easy, but we feel a change is needed at this time.”

            https://www.mlb.com/mets/press-relea...ger-luis-rojas
            Last edited by Blue387; 10-04-2021, 01:07 PM. Reason: Official Mets statement
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
              The Mets are declining the option on Luis Rojas.
              https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...99933657337861
              Just read this as well. I hope he is made an offer to stay with the organization. I figured they would have the decency to allow him to fly back to NY after the last game so they could tell him in person.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                The New York Mets today announced the club will not pick up the option on Manager Luis Rojas for the 2022 season. In addition, decisions regarding the remaining coaching staff will be made over the next several days. The Mets have offered Rojas the opportunity to remain in the organization in a yet to be determined capacity.

                “The entire Mets organization is grateful for the dedication and devotion that Luis has exhibited over the last two seasons as manager,” said President Sandy Alderson. “He has shown a great commitment to the Mets over many years in multiple capacities. These decisions are never easy, but we feel a change is needed at this time.”

                https://www.mlb.com/mets/press-relea...ger-luis-rojas
                Put it in the books.

                Comment


                • #9
                  By the end of this offseason, the Mets will have hired four managers in five years. Over that same span, they will have run through five different people as their top baseball operations executive.

                  It is a franchise in desperate need of continuity.

                  https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...05441600593925
                  The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                    By the end of this offseason, the Mets will have hired four managers in five years. Over that same span, they will have run through five different people as their top baseball operations executive.

                    It is a franchise in desperate need of continuity.

                    https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...05441600593925
                    Couldn't agree more. Continuity and consistency. Even Rojas is a 10 year plus employee. Varied places and roles but you need that. I've worked at, and I'm sure many have, where new management comes in to "make changes" and they have no knowledge of the history, clients or contacts in the place.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Time to clean house. Get rid of Conforto. Too inconsistent. Get rid of Diaz. Too inconsistent. Keep Loup. I don't like his attitude but it might be worthwhile making an offer to Baez. Get rid of Syndergaard, it's time to pull that Band-Aid off. Get rid of Walker, what a letdown. Keep Villar for backup, but I have a hunch he'd be something of a Jose Valentin case -- one good season and then disappointment. Keep Stroman. He led the league in starts with 33 and had a 133 ERA+.Very good pitcher. Keep Loup. Find a taker for McNeil. I never thought he'd be good for long. Honestly I'm surprised he performed as well as he did for as long as he did. Ditch Peraza.

                      Basically get rid of everyone except for a small handful and start over.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

                        Couldn't agree more. Continuity and consistency. Even Rojas is a 10 year plus employee. Varied places and roles but you need that. I've worked at, and I'm sure many have, where new management comes in to "make changes" and they have no knowledge of the history, clients or contacts in the place.
                        While it’s a different sport , the Steelers have shown that continuity and consistency . Since 1969, they have had exactly three head coaches . In a sports world of
                        revolving doors , that is amazing . Yes , they won 6
                        Super Bowls but it also means they didn’t win 46 seasons - yet the owners keep the coaches . What a concept . I would like to see the Mets find good people and keep them .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AlexS View Post
                          Time to clean house. Get rid of Conforto. Too inconsistent. Get rid of Diaz. Too inconsistent. Keep Loup. I don't like his attitude but it might be worthwhile making an offer to Baez. Get rid of Syndergaard, it's time to pull that Band-Aid off. Get rid of Walker, what a letdown. Keep Villar for backup, but I have a hunch he'd be something of a Jose Valentin case -- one good season and then disappointment. Keep Stroman. He led the league in starts with 33 and had a 133 ERA+.Very good pitcher. Keep Loup. Find a taker for McNeil. I never thought he'd be good for long. Honestly I'm surprised he performed as well as he did for as long as he did. Ditch Peraza.

                          Basically get rid of everyone except for a small handful and start over.
                          While Jake has shown he is an annual CYA candidate , I hope they don’t sign Syndergaard to any long term deal . If the Dodgers open the vault like they did for Bauer , then see ya later Thor .

                          Maybe Mets fans will finally stop the Fab Five type
                          of hype that 2014-15 brought out ,and wait for real results before we anoint pitchers as the next 1969 staff. One would think Mets fans would have learned from the Generation K fiasco

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Keep Alonso and Nimmo..and of course Lindor (since they have to). Everyone else is on the table, I assume Conforto is gone. Hit him and Synderaard with QO's. I'd keep Villar and Pillar as bench pieces. They need to find guys who can hit with RISP and field their natural positions well. I'd try and resign Stroman and Loup, they earned it. My big worry centers around what they are teaching in the system. It seems to me that they have lousy pitch selection, swing from their shoes all the time (and mostly strike out). No change of approach with two strikes, no learning to go the other way...that "base" ball stuff. Keep the line moving, put the ball in play, hit it where it's pitched, etc. I fear that if they don't alter their hitting approach they will never contend.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                              I don’t tell fans how to spend their money ; I don’t tell players what they should play for ; and I don’t become a fantasy league GM playing with Monopoly money .

                              That being said , I would be very leery offering Noah or Jake any long term contracts . Where is Harvey ? Matz? Wheeler ? They were 60% of the Fab Five . Only two are still Mets .

                              Noah has a lot to prove as he really has never had a CYA season over his 7 seasons . Father Time doesn’t stop even when you are on the injured list .

                              Jake has become MLB’s best 6 inning pitcher but he isn’t a kid anymore and pitchers usually don’t become MORE durable as they get older .

                              When Matt Harvey and Chris Sale were the two ‘can’t miss’ aces , the Mets and White Sox found out nothing is set in stone . It’s not my money so if the Mets open the vault for Noah and Jake it has nothing to do with my wallet , but as a fan I would look to spend that money elsewhere .
                              Good Point!!
                              North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X