This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I don't remember Keith ever assaulting Teufel.

McNeil grades out as a good fielder everywhere on the diamond, according to DRS. He's had positive defensive value every year according to r-WAR! Do you know how hard it is to do that, when you're constantly being moved around the field?

Even Justin Turner, who became a plus fielder when he stuck at one position, graded below average overall when moved around. Same with Kris Bryant. McNeil has been worth more WAR per 162 than Lindor, as a Met.

The reason McNeil plays several positions was because Jeff acquired Cano, and playing men out of position is a club tradition.

Totally inverting reported events isn't objectivity.

I don't place all my trust in what's reported, but I don't understand how putting a positive spin on this, for Lindor, is possible.
    What position should McNeil play in 2022?

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

What position should McNeil play in 2022?
      McNeil is a + fielder at LF, RF, 2B and 3B. His best positions are 3B followed by 2B. He really is a very rare commodity, assuming he starts hitting again next year. McNeil's Rfield was 6. Lindor's was 4. Lindor wasn't even in the top 10 at his position in defense last year. Him being nominated for a Gold Glove was more of a popularity contest than anything.

Comment

• The following have elected free agency:

Marcus Stroman
        Dellin Betances
        Javier Baez
        Jonathan Villar
        Heath Hembree
        Brad Hand
        Jeurys Familia
        Noah Syndergaard
        Michael Conforto
        Rich Hill
        Aaron Loup

The only ones I want to see them make a try for are Stroman, Baez, Villar and Loup. Maybe bring Hand and Hembree back for a look-see in spring training. Time to cut the inconsistent Syndergaard and Conforto loose. Just two more future saviors of the Mets that never lived up to the hype.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexS View Post
          The following have elected free agency:

Marcus Stroman
          Dellin Betances
          Javier Baez
          Jonathan Villar
          Heath Hembree
          Brad Hand
          Jeurys Familia
          Noah Syndergaard
          Michael Conforto
          Rich Hill
          Aaron Loup

The only ones I want to see them make a try for are Stroman, Baez, Villar and Loup. Maybe bring Hand and Hembree back for a look-see in spring training. Time to cut the inconsistent Syndergaard and Conforto loose. Just two more future saviors of the Mets that never lived up to the hype.
          Agreed....
          Put it in the books.

Comment

• I disagree. Baez being signed would be a total disaster for this team moving forward. Baez, Lindor and Cano in the same dugout? Are you kidding me???

Extend the QO to Conforto and Syndergaard and let them walk if they turn it down. Try to resign Stroman (he wants to be a Yankee, so not gonna happen). See if you can bring back Loup.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

McNeil is a + fielder at LF, RF, 2B and 3B. His best positions are 3B followed by 2B. He really is a very rare commodity, assuming he starts hitting again next year. McNeil's Rfield was 6. Lindor's was 4. Lindor wasn't even in the top 10 at his position in defense last year. Him being nominated for a Gold Glove was more of a popularity contest than anything.
              Honestly the eye test with McNeil indicates to me he is a Jack of all trades. I understand the stats, but watching him that’s not what I see.
              His OPS went from .916 to .679 in two years. Assuming that’s a fluke and not that 2019 was a fluke at age 30 I see him as a DH in training, playing a position 1 or 2 days a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexS View Post
                The following have elected free agency:

Marcus Stroman
                Dellin Betances
                Javier Baez
                Jonathan Villar
                Heath Hembree
                Brad Hand
                Jeurys Familia
                Noah Syndergaard
                Michael Conforto
                Rich Hill
                Aaron Loup

I would add Syndergaard to your list. Conforto was exasperating last year. But no issue with either getting QO’s.

Comment

I disagree. Baez being signed would be a total disaster for this team moving forward. Baez, Lindor and Cano in the same dugout? Are you kidding me???

Extend the QO to Conforto and Syndergaard and let them walk if they turn it down. Try to resign Stroman (he wants to be a Yankee, so not gonna happen). See if you can bring back Loup.
                  My issue with Baez is his hit tool. His contact rates are worrisome. I'd be careful about the years of a contract, and overall size of the package. He could easily become a mistake signing. Cano could be an asset, if there's a DH, and he's used selectively. I've never heard about him being a clubhouse problem.

We're stuck with Cano and Lindor anyway.

Conforto and Syndergaard are well worth the QO (depending on Syndergaard's medical status).

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Honestly the eye test with McNeil indicates to me he is a Jack of all trades. I understand the stats, but watching him that’s not what I see.
                  His OPS went from .916 to .679 in two years. Assuming that’s a fluke and not that 2019 was a fluke at age 30 I see him as a DH in training, playing a position 1 or 2 days a week.
                  Sounds like some pretty heavy bias. The "DH in training" had yet another plus defensive year, playing multiple positions last season.

Cost controlled McNeil would bring back a lot in trade. Lindor is untradeable. I don't want to trade McNeil, though, because it'd be another Murphy or Turner situation.

Signing Lindor for $340M was a mistake. No need to compound that by letting him dictate roster moves. Part of McNeil's problem, beyond injury, could be a hostile clubhouse. Who knows? None of us are inside. From the outside, it doesn't look good. The next manager should be someone who commands respect, and put everyone in their place, regardless of contract.

Ideally, you let the GM hire a manager, but nobody wants to work here.

Tackling that problem should be the first order of business.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I disagree. Baez being signed would be a total disaster for this team moving forward. Baez, Lindor and Cano in the same dugout? Are you kidding me???

Ouch. I didn't know that.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Ouch. I didn't know that.
                      He was beyond pissed off when he was traded to the Mets. At the time, he threw a lot of shade on the trade and basically came out and said he was traded to the wrong team in NY.

I still try to resign him. He has proven that he can pitch in NY, and has a pretty thick skin. That is a rarity these days.

He also took the QO last year and bet on himself. That takes some pretty big cahones.
                      Last edited by jjpm74; 11-04-2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

His fielding value far outweighed his hitting prowess. That trends to super utility guy. Not DH. He is the kind of guy every team is looking for.
                        Last edited by jjpm74; 11-04-2021, 05:09 PM.

Comment

His fielding value far outweighed his hitting prowess. That trends to super utility guy. Not DH. He is the kind of guy every team is looking for.
                          My point is I don’t see it. His fielding is clumsy to me. I could be wrong, wouldn’t he the first time nor the last!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Sounds like some pretty heavy bias. The "DH in training" had yet another plus defensive year, playing multiple positions last season.

Cost controlled McNeil would bring back a lot in trade. Lindor is untradeable. I don't want to trade McNeil, though, because it'd be another Murphy or Turner situation.

Signing Lindor for $340M was a mistake. No need to compound that by letting him dictate roster moves. Part of McNeil's problem, beyond injury, could be a hostile clubhouse. Who knows? None of us are inside. From the outside, it doesn't look good. The next manager should be someone who commands respect, and put everyone in their place, regardless of contract.

Ideally, you let the GM hire a manager, but nobody wants to work here.

Tackling that problem should be the first order of business.
                            Speaking of pretty heavy bias….
                            Lindor is new, plenty of professionals want a job in one of only 30 MLB teams. That’s something that Buck Showalter said and I trust him.
                            I agree that the manager should put everyone in their place even McNeil as a DH or spot fielder.

Comment

• Kevin Pillar has also been declared a free agent, having declined his player option. Another dud who I won't miss. Outside of being a surprising source of power (15 home runs in 325 ABs) he was another letdown.

Comment

• According to MLB Insider Jon Heyman, the Mets were aware that Melvin was available and spoke to him about becoming their next manager. However, Melvin's main residence is in Arizona, so he decided to remain on the west coast.

The Padres also have their spring training facility in Arizona, which factored into Melvin's decision as well.

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/why...gerial-vacancy
                                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X