This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    The Mets have agreed to a deal with outfielder Mark Canha, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN. The 32-year-old has spent all seven seasons of his big league career with the A’s. Canha and the Mets are in agreement on a two-year guarantee worth $26.5MM, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The deal also contains an option, per Sherman.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...ark-canha.html
    I guess we're seeing a theme here. Sign a bunch of 30 somethings to short term deals. If that's the plan, I really hope they stockpile draft picks, since this does not look like fielding a legitimate competitive team for next year.

Comment

• Looks like the Mets are trying to hit .220 next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexS View Post
        Looks like the Mets are trying to hit .220 next year.
        And doubling down on the whole "who needs defense" thing.

Comment

• The Mets are in agreement with free agent center fielder Starling Marte, pending a physical, reports Jon Heyman of the MLB Network. It’s the culmination of a shocking evening for the Mets, who have also agreed to terms with Eduardo Escobar and Mark Canha within the past few hours. It’s a four-year, $78MM guarantee, Heyman reports.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...ing-marte.html
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Wow. That's a good one. A very good one. Finally.

Canha and Escobar are the sort of guys who might give you 25 home runs and 75 RBI, or they might give you 12 home runs and a .215 average. Marte is actually a great player.

Comment

Wow. That's a good one. A very good one. Finally.

Canha and Escobar are the sort of guys who might give you 25 home runs and 75 RBI, or they might give you 12 home runs and a .215 average. Marte is actually a great player.
              I agree it's a positive move. My only qualm with the acquisition is that he's a centerfielder by trade going into his age-33 season. Defensively, the only direction he can go is down. Still, like I say, I'm not complaining.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

• It looks like the pieces are starting to fall into place. Finally, a CF!! This move upgrades 2 positions, CF and LF. Nimmo and Marte are 2/3 of the way to a solid OF. The questions that remain, was Escobar signed to hold down 3b for a couple of years or to replace Baez at 2nd? Is Canha next years RF or is another deal in the works? It looks like Baez may sign by this weekend and I think he actually used the Tigers to up an offer from the Mets. We will find out.

Now before we get excited the true make or break 2022 season signings are yet to come. Pitching, pitching, pitching. I hope they sign Stroman. He seems pissed that they are not really interested in him. Stroman seems to pitch better when he has a chip on his shoulder. Find a way to sign him but keep him pissed off enough for him to feel like he has something to prove. Very good #3. If they can get a #2 and if Jacob comes back, they will contend. If they turn into drunken sailors and Jake can't play, they still lose. So much is riding on a healthy year from Jake.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                  Pitching, pitching, pitching. I hope they sign Stroman
                  The Mets began their offseason in earnest yesterday, adding a trio of 33-year-old bats to the lineup. Starling Marte, Eduardo Escobar, and Mark Canha bring certainty to the beginning of new GM Billy Eppler’s tenure, as well as defensive flexibility and right-handed thump. The additions could be all they need to solidify their lineup (along with Nick Plummer as a potential reserve outfielder), but they don’t address what is arguably the Mets’ biggest need: pitching.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-pitching.html
                  The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
                    It looks like the pieces are starting to fall into place. Finally, a CF!! This move upgrades 2 positions, CF and LF. Nimmo and Marte are 2/3 of the way to a solid OF. The questions that remain, was Escobar signed to hold down 3b for a couple of years or to replace Baez at 2nd? Is Canha next years RF or is another deal in the works? It looks like Baez may sign by this weekend and I think he actually used the Tigers to up an offer from the Mets. We will find out.

Now before we get excited the true make or break 2022 season signings are yet to come. Pitching, pitching, pitching. I hope they sign Stroman. He seems pissed that they are not really interested in him. Stroman seems to pitch better when he has a chip on his shoulder. Find a way to sign him but keep him pissed off enough for him to feel like he has something to prove. Very good #3. If they can get a #2 and if Jacob comes back, they will contend. If they turn into drunken sailors and Jake can't play, they still lose. So much is riding on a healthy year from Jake.
                    Offer Stroman a 5 year deal with a player opt out after year 2. That should give him enough incentive to play well enough.

Comment

Wow. That's a good one. A very good one. Finally.

All 3 are low-strikeout, good OPB, righthanded hitting guys, all of which the line-up needed. Desperately needed.
                      I think Marte can sustain his fielding and base running for another 3 years and that's more than enough. A CF was a must have, no debate.
                      Escobar plays multiple positions and doesn't prevent Eppler from signing any one of the big name IF's out there (although I personally pray it's not a return of Baez, the guy who told us we have to do better). Plus, I'm a big believer in intangebles and from everything I read, he's tops in this department.
                      Canha I just can't get excited about. I trust Eppler knows more than me, but I too see a .215 average looming. His signing is a big fat meh to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Now it's time to address the 3 most important needs: 1) pitching, 2) pitching 3) pitching.
                      Scherzer is great. I want him badly. Unfortunately he's represented by Borus. He's 37. He'll demand 4 years at 36-40million per. to top Cole. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that even though it's Cohen's money, not mine. If and if we sign Scherzer our hot dogs will be $20
                      1) I like Gausman. But he slipped a bit after the sticky stuff situation.
                      2) I like Grey. A lot. (The Jon, not the Sonny).
                      3) They should give Rich Hill a contract. We are not afraid of old men pitching around these parts.

At any rate, This finally feels like the penny pinching, cash strapped, con the season tix holder days of the Wilpon -Katz cabal is really, truly dead and buried. In some ways I don't care who they lavish money on, or how much. I'm just enjoying the fact that the spigot is open and the bucks are flowing freely. It's fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I agree it's a positive move. My only qualm with the acquisition is that he's a centerfielder by trade going into his age-33 season. Defensively, the only direction he can go is down. Still, like I say, I'm not complaining.
                        I agree that a 33 year CF is not ideal. The thing about it is this forces Nimmo to a corner position. So in one move they improved two positions.

I like the Escobar move simply because he can play multiple positions.........except SS - which he will not be playing anyway. He is a below average defender but given the versatility I think its acceptable. I always feel that a utility defender probably isnt really good at any position and it is why he place 5 positions. There a few exceptions of course. Coincidentally Escobars best position is 3rd base which I think is his best fit on the current roster.

I think this opens the door for a couple of things -- its Baez insurance and now it makes a McNeil trade more feasible. On the other hand is it possible McNeil becomes the RF'er? A lot of off season left to see where it all lands.

I just really dont understand the Canha signing. Maybe he is the RF'er.....maybe another utility type guy --especially with the NL getting the DH. Hopefully. Without the DH the Canha signing makes no sense to me.

Dom Smith / JD Davis do not have a role of any substance on the team as of today. Im ok with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I agree that a 33 year CF is not ideal. The thing about it is this forces Nimmo to a corner position. So in one move they improved two positions.

I like the Escobar move simply because he can play multiple positions.........except SS - which he will not be playing anyway. He is a below average defender but given the versatility I think its acceptable. I always feel that a utility defender probably isnt really good at any position and it is why he place 5 positions. There a few exceptions of course. Coincidentally Escobars best position is 3rd base which I think is his best fit on the current roster.

I think this opens the door for a couple of things -- its Baez insurance and now it makes a McNeil trade more feasible. On the other hand is it possible McNeil becomes the RF'er? A lot of off season left to see where it all lands.

I just really dont understand the Canha signing. Maybe he is the RF'er.....maybe another utility type guy --especially with the NL getting the DH. Hopefully. Without the DH the Canha signing makes no sense to me.

Dom Smith / JD Davis do not have a role of any substance on the team as of today. Im ok with that.
                          Dom's bad season seemed very related to a deader ball, and the stadium suppressing fly balls more than usual. His batted ball numbers didn't change much from the past couple seasons. Davis produced at the plate.

If there's a DH next season, Davis and Smith have roles. Although he wasn't on the field much, the team said Davis had worked hard on defense at 3B and improved. Maybe we'll get a better look, though Escobar probably gets most of the PT there out of the gate.

Canha draws walks; has mild pop. Should keep McNeil in the infield. I think he'll get most of the PT at 2B.

I think the team will mix and match lineups based on platoon considerations, as is fashionable these days.

They're probably mostly set, in terms of position players. I'm not even sure which pitchers will be healthy enough to start their season in April. Lots of question marks.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I really think JD Davis should be converted to a relief pitcher and also DH. He has a natural tail to his throw and throws harder than any other position player on this team.

Dom Smith, JD Davis, Luis Guillorme and possibly Jeff McNeil will all be playing for other teams next year in all likelihood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

They're probably mostly set, in terms of position players. I'm not even sure which pitchers will be healthy enough to start their season in April. Lots of question marks.
                              The only healthy pitcher they have on the team worth anything is Edwin Diaz. We have no idea what Jacob deGrom will be like and I honestly have no idea why the team hasn't pursued Stroman actively. He is a proven NY pitcher. They also should try to go all in on Scherzer, Gausman and go after any available arm for the bullpen. Letting Loup walk was a big mistake.

FWIW, this is a good free agent tracker:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Comment

• I did not realize Marte lead mlb in stolen bases in 21. Impressive.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X