This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    But..but... I thought Francisco Lindor was the (self-appointed) clubhouse leader.
    I still think Lindor has leadership skills and is a positive influence in the clubhouse. He could be a captain. He just needs to grow up.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I still think Lindor has leadership skills and is a positive influence in the clubhouse. He could be a captain. He just needs to grow up.
      I can't see Lindor ever being Jeter or Wright with the media which is what a team leader would have to be.

If he was a better player, Dom Smith could fill that roll well, but he doesn't look like he is anything more than a bench player.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I can't see Lindor ever being Jeter or Wright with the media which is what a team leader would have to be.

If he was a better player, Dom Smith could fill that roll well, but he doesn't look like he is anything more than a bench player.
        Yeah, you could be right. He may just remain the class clown. Hopefully, someone will step into the role. There was a time I thought it could be Conforto but that didn't pan out.

And agreed on Smith, who I kinda feel bad for. He's never been given the opportunity to be what he should be; an everyday first baseman. While he's still young, I'd like to see Dom go to a team that'll use him for that.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

But..but... I thought Francisco Lindor was the (self-appointed) clubhouse leader.
          He is the leader on the field. Clubhouse is a totally different thing. He could be a clubhouse leader if he adjusts to the NL and becomes an all star caliber player again. His first year was difficult.

Comment

Just throwing it out there, what do we think of guys like Aaron Boone or Jayce Tingler?
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Just throwing it out there, what do we think of guys like Aaron Boone or Jayce Tingler?
              Jayce Tingler has a cool sounding name!

Comment

So did Mickey Callaway...
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

So did Mickey Callaway...
                  I've always liked Razor Shines. And tho he wasn't a Met, I'm pretty sure my all-time favorite is Dick Pole.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

I've always liked Razor Shines. And tho he wasn't a Met, I'm pretty sure my all-time favorite is Dick Pole.
                    Love Shines. And John Boccabella. Especially the way the Montreal PA guy said his name.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Love Shines. And John Boccabella. Especially the way the Montreal PA guy said his name.
                      Haha, I used to love hearing the French PA announcer pronounce the names in English! Any name that ended with an "er" was especially fun.

Another name I used to have fun with as a kid was Bob Boone. Forget that it's so close to "baboon", it can also be a bomb blowing up.

Bobbooooone!
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

I used to get a kick out of Gary Cohen describing an at-bat by Lucas Duda. If the count got to 2-2, Cohen would say, with emphasis, "two-two to Duda!"

I can't say that five times fast without cracking up. I guess you had to be there...
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

In an in-depth interview with The Athletic's Brittany Ghiroli, long-time manager Buck Showalter was asked about the rumblings that he'd be connected to two of the most popular manager vacancies in the league -- the Mets and San Diego Padres.

Showalter admitted if the Mets gave him a call, he'd definitely pick up the phone.

"I don’t talk about jobs that aren’t currently open, so the ones that are, it’s always an honor just to be mentioned," he said. "They got a lot of good, qualified people to pick from. I don’t know (if I will be asked to interview). That’s not my decision, but I’d listen if they (the Padres or Mets) called. Like I said, it’s an honor just to be mentioned."

Showalter last managed with the Baltimore Orioles in 2018, adding that he misses being in the dugout a lot. He's recently been an analyst with the YES Network, so he's still connected to the game.

https://theathletic.com/2882805/2021...gerial-future/
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                            In an in-depth interview with The Athletic's Brittany Ghiroli, long-time manager Buck Showalter was asked about the rumblings that he'd be connected to two of the most popular manager vacancies in the league -- the Mets and San Diego Padres.

Showalter admitted if the Mets gave him a call, he'd definitely pick up the phone.

"I don’t talk about jobs that aren’t currently open, so the ones that are, it’s always an honor just to be mentioned," he said. "They got a lot of good, qualified people to pick from. I don’t know (if I will be asked to interview). That’s not my decision, but I’d listen if they (the Padres or Mets) called. Like I said, it’s an honor just to be mentioned."

Showalter last managed with the Baltimore Orioles in 2018, adding that he misses being in the dugout a lot. He's recently been an analyst with the YES Network, so he's still connected to the game.

https://theathletic.com/2882805/2021...gerial-future/
                            I now believe that if the Mets want Showalter, they'll get him. I'm kinda getting the feeling he wants to be back in NY, too.

And I'd not object.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

I now believe that if the Mets want Showalter, they'll get him. I'm kinda getting the feeling he wants to be back in NY, too.

And I'd not object.
                              I'd like to see the organization offer him more of a GM/M role if they offer him something. He has proven multiple times that he can turn a team around. Give him some autonomy and surround him with some bright minds and see what happens instead of going after the same 3 or 4 people to run fhe franchise. No more recycled stooges. Try something else and see what happens.
                              Last edited by jjpm74; 10-12-2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

And I'd not object.
                                I used to think I’d object, but no more. There are 6 mlb managers over age 60 so he wouldn’t be alone.
                                His voice and twang would take some getting used to but I can manage that burden

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X