This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    Mets have reached out to interview Astros bench coach Joe Espada. Has strong link to Billy Eppler from when they were both with Yankees. Serious contender.
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...88252166606848
    At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, Espada doesn't even have a page at Baseball-Reference (does he?). I'm not saying he's qualified or not, but is this the direction the team wants to go?
    Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, Espada doesn't even have a page at Baseball-Reference (does he?). I'm not saying he's qualified or not, but is this the direction the team wants to go?
      DiComo- Mets to interview four for manager, at least. Espada if Astros agree, which they should, Ausmus, Quatraro and Showalter. Espada worked previously with Eppler.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I am hoping many of these interviews are formalities. My concern is nowadays it seems a lot of teams just want a low cost / minimal experienced manager to be "collaborative" - in other words - just nod yes when you get told something.

I am hoping that is not what the Mets do. The stereotype is that the "old school" managers dont use or dont want the given analytical information. That is not true.

Listening to Showalter speak on MLBN he is very into the analytical aspect of the game. That in my opinion is the no brainer choice.

Comment

• The Mets have tried two inexperienced managers in the last few years; neither produced the desired results.

It's time to try something else like I don't know, maybe somebody with a proven MLB track record. Showalter is available, and wants the job. He's managed in New York before, I don't understand this continued flirtation with neophytes.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            The Mets have tried two inexperienced managers in the last few years; neither produced the desired results.

It's time to try something else like I don't know, maybe somebody with a proven MLB track record. Showalter is available, and wants the job. He's managed in New York before, I don't understand this continued flirtation with neophytes.
            Can't afford a good manager, just spent the next three years' budgets on Max Scherzer.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
              The Mets have tried two inexperienced managers in the last few years; neither produced the desired results.

All cant be blamed on the managers. The rosters were not winning rosters, but I believe both Sling Blade and Rojas did cost the Mets wins that Showalter will not.

I totally agree with you on Buck. It is such an obvious no brainer for the reasons you mentioned.

Comment

• With most of the thinking being done by analysts, the main criteria for hiring a manager should be skill in managing people. I think we all do better when we have a certain combination of confidence and aggression. The next at bat, next pitch should be something the player should be hungry for. The mid-80s Mets, as individuals, always seemed eager to be in high leverage situations, to be the one to pick up the team.

This kind of spirit can be achieved by cultivating a roster properly. It can also be helped by leadership setting a tone. To lead a group of veterans, which the team now consists of, someone older, who can command respect, is probably the right choice.

I don't know much about the individual candidates, but it'd be a mistake to hire a mere front office conduit. We'll see who's chosen, but I hope it's someone who'll have unquestioned authority in the clubhouse.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                  With most of the thinking being done by analysts, the main criteria for hiring a manager should be skill in managing people. I think we all do better when we have a certain combination of confidence and aggression. The next at bat, next pitch should be something the player should be hungry for. The mid-80s Mets, as individuals, always seemed eager to be in high leverage situations, to be the one to pick up the team.

This kind of spirit can be achieved by cultivating a roster properly. It can also be helped by leadership setting a tone. To lead a group of veterans, which the team now consists of, someone older, who can command respect, is probably the right choice.

I don't know much about the individual candidates, but it'd be a mistake to hire a mere front office conduit. We'll see who's chosen, but I hope it's someone who'll have unquestioned authority in the clubhouse.
                  I think any good team has the players that want to be in those situations. That is what makes them a good team. The individual parts pulling in the same direction. The Mets have taken steps to have the roster you speak of, but even if you have the fastest car you still need a good driver.

Yes most of the info is coming from analysts, but there still is those on the fly situations where an experienced confident manager sees something that isnt in the plan. I always go back to Kevin Cash taking out Snell when he had no hit stuff in the WS. I would bet my house that Showalter would have left Snell in. He has the resume to do so. Cash has always been a yes man.

The problem with the analysts is that they dont account for hot/cold. In fact they will tell you it doesnt exist. They are without a doubt wrong on that issue. Players do get hot and cold. If they didnt a .300 hitter would get 3 hits in every 10 at bats. Not how it happens. He may hit .250 in April and .350 in May. I believe most of hot/cold comes from confidence and lack of it. Its a feel. A REAL manager that knows his roster can navigate that on some level where as Rojas could not or was not given the rope to do so.

Showalter would command that respect.
                  Paulypal
                  Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 12-08-2021, 06:11 AM.

Comment

With most of the thinking being done by analysts, the main criteria for hiring a manager should be skill in managing people. I think we all do better when we have a certain combination of confidence and aggression. The next at bat, next pitch should be something the player should be hungry for. The mid-80s Mets, as individuals, always seemed eager to be in high leverage situations, to be the one to pick up the team.

Hope this is read by someone in Mets Management.

Bob Geren also getting an interview. Rarely in my car for any length of time, yesterday being an exception. Heard a lot of sports talk. Some wanting Showalter, some saying he ended very poorly in Baltimore at 47-115. Lost the clubhouse blah, blah. Hasn't been hired since but time away helps.

Comment

• Mets select right-handed pitcher Alex Valverde with their first pick of the minor league Rule 5 draft.

He had a 4.88 ERA in Double-A for the Rays in 2021.

He did have 92 strikeouts in 72 innings.

https://twitter.com/mikemayer22/stat...60088009285634
                      Blue387
                      Ya gotta believe
                      Last edited by Blue387; 12-08-2021, 03:14 PM.
                      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Hope this is read by someone in Mets Management.

Bob Geren also getting an interview. Rarely in my car for any length of time, yesterday being an exception. Heard a lot of sports talk. Some wanting Showalter, some saying he ended very poorly in Baltimore at 47-115. Lost the clubhouse blah, blah. Hasn't been hired since but time away helps.
                        I don't remember Showalter's style, as the Yankees manager, vividly enough to comment. But what I have in mind is closer to Dusty Baker than Dallas Green. I think a positive motivational style works best. This can be done while maintaining discipline.

When you think of some of the personnel he won with, it couldn't have been easy to maintain harmony.

Next season's Mets will have more egos to work with. Fitting them together has to be a big consideration.
                        Mongoose
                        Last edited by Mongoose; 12-09-2021, 05:41 AM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

I don't remember Showalter's style, as the Yankees manager, vividly enough to comment. But what I have in mind is closer to Dusty Baker than Dallas Green. I think a positive motivational style works best. This can be done while maintaining discipline.

When you think of some of the personnel he won with, it couldn't have been easy to maintain harmony.

Next season's Mets will have more egos to work with. Fitting them together has to be a big consideration.
                          Supposedly there was a lot of friction between him and the front office when he was managing the Yankees, which is why they ultimately released him and signed Joe Torre. The rest is history.

Comment

• The Mets have interviewed Dodgers first base coach Clayton McCullough as part of their ongoing managerial search, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. It’s expected to be their final interview of the first round of the search to replace Luis Rojas.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-1b-coach.html

Comment

• The Mets brought Matt Reynolds back, signing him to a minor league deal.

Comment

• No surprise here: Joe Espada and Buck Showalter are finalists for the Mets manager opening.

They’ve long been considered the two favorites.

https://twitter.com/mikemayer22/stat...36162194972680

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X