X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

When do we find out about the NL DH?
    Did anyone miss the DH during that fantastic game last night between the Dodgers and Giants? NL at its best except for the very last call of the game on our Wilmer.

It’s coming, I’ve accepted it. Probably viewed the last classic NL game unless the Braves have something in store for us.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

The NL DH is part of the next CBA discussions, so not until the CBA is agreed to by both sides.
      I think (from what I have read) that the DH is all but a done deal. Which really makes the 2021 ruling even more ridiculous. They had in 2020 - then didnt in 2021, and then it will be there for good in 2022. I get that the DH was used as a hammer in the player/management war, but to stop it for a year was just plain stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
        Absolutely no way Wilmer did not check his swing . A great season with two epic teams going for win 110 ends on a bad call . Giants - Dodgers should have been the NLCS , MLB should address the seeding .

As for the Mets ;

Maybe the Mets can start imitating the Cardinals.

What about Mike Shildt ?
        I believe MLB did address the seeding after the 1993 Giants won 103 games and missed the playoffs. Shortly after that the Wild Card teams came into play. I guess you don't have to seed a first place team higher than a second or third place team but not sure how the playoff races would look.

Haven't heard about Shildt. Read about ex-Rockies manager Weiss under consideration

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I think (from what I have read) that the DH is all but a done deal. Which really makes the 2021 ruling even more ridiculous. They had in 2020 - then didnt in 2021, and then it will be there for good in 2022. I get that the DH was used as a hammer in the player/management war, but to stop it for a year was just plain stupid.
          I agree 100% and now that we live in an age where pitchers get to the NL having never held a bat in their hands after age 11, they have no business being asked to stand at the plate and watch 103 MPH fastballs whiz by.

Comment

Mets’ chances to land Stearns appear to be close to nil. He’s under contract for at least ‘22, word is the Crew may also have an option for an extra year on him and they want to keep him. No official word on Beane but no encouraging signs. Short list may need to grow.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...66712314351623
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I agree 100% and now that we live in an age where pitchers get to the NL having never held a bat in their hands after age 11, they have no business being asked to stand at the plate and watch 103 MPH fastballs whiz by.
              Totally agree. We have been saying this for years.

I was watching a game a couple of years ago. This was the pitchers first at bat since high school and he was facing Max Scherzer.

The argument of the "NL strategy" is a weak one in compared to watching pitchers hit. One reason why the DH hasnt been put in the NL earlier is because it was used a bargaining hammer between the union and the owners. Meanwhile the fans had to watch Al Leiter hit.......allow me to rephrase......Al Leiter stand with a bat in his hand.

Then we hear the Madison Bumgarner argument. Yes he can hit, but for everyone of Bumgarner we have 100 Al Leiters. If a pitcher is that big of hitter.........dont DH for him. Let him hit. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                Absolutely no way Wilmer did not check his swing . A great season with two epic teams going for win 110 ends on a bad call . Giants - Dodgers should have been the NLCS , MLB should address the seeding .

As for the Mets ;

Maybe the Mets can start imitating the Cardinals.

What about Mike Shildt ?
                Wilmer checked it but I cant say the Giants got screwed over because of it. Wilmer is 0-17 against Scherzer and if even in that at bat Scherzer had him befuddled. Now I would have liked to see the right call made and finish that at bat, because you never know, but in my opinion Wilmer was toast.

I have been saying for years that it is time to do away with divisions. The NL/AL should 15 team leagues with no divisions. Geography plays way too big of a role in baseball. The top 5 teams make the playoffs.

#1 plays WC game winner in LDS
                # 2 plays #3 in LDS
                Team with the better record gets home field in the LCS round.

In that format the Giants play the Dodgers in the LCS.

If you want to keep somewhat of an unbalanced schedule to reduce the travel nightmare to a minimum fine, but otherwise have 6 5 team divisions just doesnt make any sense to me.

Shildt is a good option.
                Paulypal
                Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                Last edited by Paulypal; 10-16-2021, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I have been saying for years that it is time to do away with divisions. The NL/AL should 15 team leagues with no divisions. Geography plays way too big of a role in baseball. The top 5 teams make the playoffs.

# 2 plays #3 in LDS

If you want to keep somewhat of an unbalanced schedule to reduce the travel nightmare to a minimum fine, but otherwise have 6 5 team divisions just doesnt make any sense to me.
                  Geography plays a big role in many things.
                  You moved what, 400 miles away from your hometown area?
                  Milladrive moved 2,000+ miles away from his hometown area (I think)
                  Mandrake moved far enough away from his hometown area that in order to go to Citi Field or any event in NYC he has to pay tolls, gas, endure traffic and spend time.
                  I live 15 miles from Citi Field, no tolls and can take LIRR if I choose.
                  Due to many reasons, of which geography is key, I've been to Citi many times this past season.
                  Geography matters in MLB as well.

Comment

Wilmer checked it but I cant say the Giants got screwed over because of it. Wilmer is 0-17 against Scherzer and if even in that at bat Scherzer had him befuddled. Now I would have liked to see the right call made and finish that at bat, because you never know, but in my opinion Wilmer was toast.

# 2 plays #3 in LDS

Shildt is a good option.
                    0-17 just meant Wilmer was overdue. He's not going to go 0-100. No excuse for an unfair AB.

I was never a fan of the expanded playoffs. Best teams are often knocked out before the World Series. After rounds of playoffs on cable stations with limited accessibility, World Series keeps losing interest and audience. The whole scheme has been a short term money grab, at the expense of baseball's long term health.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Cameron Maybin and Brandon Drury became free agents. I'm surprised New York kept Maybin in their system after his poor showing with them. I hope they bring Brandon Drury back on a minor league deal. He was a solid sparkplug for a while there.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Geography plays a big role in many things.
                        You moved what, 400 miles away from your hometown area?
                        Milladrive moved 2,000+ miles away from his hometown area (I think)
                        Mandrake moved far enough away from his hometown area that in order to go to Citi Field or any event in NYC he has to pay tolls, gas, endure traffic and spend time.
                        I live 15 miles from Citi Field, no tolls and can take LIRR if I choose.
                        Due to many reasons, of which geography is key, I've been to Citi many times this past season.
                        Geography matters in MLB as well.
                        Indeed. I lived in Hicksville for 54 years before the 2,600-mile move. It's definitely a deterrent to going to the games, heh. ...which I miss bigtime. It's one of the very few things about New York that I miss. I had been to at least one Met home game every year from 1973 to 2017. That 45-year steak ended, altho I did go to a game at Petco Park in 2018. A 350-mile 5½-hour drive. It was much easier to live 20 miles away -- and nice being part of the home crowd -- altho I'll never miss the traffic and general congestion.

I get what Pauly's saying. It kinda sucks that one of the two best teams in baseball went home before the LCS even started, and it magnifies the point that the two best teams go to the World Series much less often these days than in the past, due to geographically-aligned divisions and an expanded postseason.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Indeed. I lived in Hicksville for 54 years before the 2,600-mile move. It's definitely a deterrent to going to the games, heh. ...which I miss bigtime. It's one of the very few things about New York that I miss. I had been to at least one Met home game every year from 1973 to 2017. That 45-year steak ended, altho I did go to a game at Petco Park in 2018. A 350-mile 5½-hour drive. It was much easier to live 20 miles away -- and nice being part of the home crowd -- altho I'll never miss the traffic and general congestion.

I get what Pauly's saying. It kinda sucks that one of the two best teams in baseball went home before the LCS even started, and it magnifies the point that the two best teams go to the World Series much less often these days than in the past, due to geographically-aligned divisions and an expanded postseason.
                          Definitely. If you look at "best team" definition by wins and losses. The Philadelphia Phillies were the best team in baseball when Steve Carlton pitched in 1972 when he was 27-10. He was 27-10 on the 1972 Phillies which won 59 games. This dreadful team was the best team when he pitched.

I know I don't want to go back to an NL and AL pennant winner going directly to the World Series. Which is the way to do it if best team idea is the team with the most victories.

Comment

Definitely. If you look at "best team" definition by wins and losses. The Philadelphia Phillies were the best team in baseball when Steve Carlton pitched in 1972 when he was 27-10. He was 27-10 on the 1972 Phillies which won 59 games. This dreadful team was the best team when he pitched.

I know I don't want to go back to an NL and AL pennant winner going directly to the World Series. Which is the way to do it if best team idea is the team with the most victories.
                            I believe that's part of the balance that was lost when two divisions per league turned into three, and the 4 "best teams" turned into 10, and before the 10th best team could beat the 2nd best team in a one-game showdown before the "real" postseason even begins.

I definitely wouldn't want just two 15-team races. But the way it is right now makes little sense. I say add a team to each league and create two 8-team divisions in both leagues. But they won't do that because it means eliminating everything but the LCS and WS. TV revenue is too profitable for that, and unfortunately, the short-term money grab trumps the long-term good of the sport.

So who knows what they'll do, if anything. It's anyone's guess.
                            Last edited by milladrive; 10-16-2021, 03:47 PM. Reason: Number correction
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

0-17 just meant Wilmer was overdue. He's not going to go 0-100. No excuse for an unfair AB.

I was never a fan of the expanded playoffs. Best teams are often knocked out before the World Series. After rounds of playoffs on cable stations with limited accessibility, World Series keeps losing interest and audience. The whole scheme has been a short term money grab, at the expense of baseball's long term health.
                              I didnt say the call was ok - it was a bad way to end it.

Setting up divisions has screwed teams over the years. Its a terrible design.

Comment

Nobody said go back to the AL/NL winner to the WS.

I posted earlier today - which you responded to - the top 5 teams by record should make the playoffs. The Braves who had 90 wins (approx) have home field over a team that had 106 wins because they play in division that wasnt as good.

It is ridiculous.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X