2021-2022 Mets Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to see anything happening.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Mets great Edgardo Alfonzo has been hired now as manager of the new Staten Island Ferry Hawks of the Atlantic League
      https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...50507254038539
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
        Mets great Edgardo Alfonzo has been hired now as manager of the new Staten Island Ferry Hawks of the Atlantic League
        https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...50507254038539
        I've never understood why the franchise hasn't consistently employed Fonzie, who is very clearly quite good with young players.
        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Depending on the date an agreement is reached, here's what we can expect.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-day-and-more/
          Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

I've never understood why the franchise hasn't consistently employed Fonzie, who is very clearly quite good with young players.
            They could have picked him to manage the Mets instead of Luis Rojas or be on the coaching staff.

Comment

• Have heard Mets might consider signing another significant pitcher and hitter once the lockout ends, on top of Scherzer, Marte, Canha and Escobar. If so $270M payroll could approach $300M.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...69225902604294

Comment

• Clay Davenport's Projections for the rest of 2022
                generated on 1-22-2022
                http://claydavenport.com/projections/PROJHOME.shtml

Atlanta 93-69
                New York 87-75
                Philadelphia 84-78
                Washington 77-85
                Miami 74-88

Comment

• Will Opening Day really happen next month? Pitchers and Catchers in two weeks?
                  Kind of hoping that the 60 game season of 2020 is the last shortened season for awhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                    Will Opening Day really happen next month? Pitchers and Catchers in two weeks?
                    Kind of hoping that the 60 game season of 2020 is the last shortened season for awhile.
                    As I've been saying, I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ng-opening-day
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

As I've been saying, I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ng-opening-day
                      Yeah I've been saying ST and OD will only be delayed if really stupid people are in charge of of MLB.

Unfortunately....
                      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Yeah I've been saying ST and OD will only be delayed if really stupid people are in charge of of MLB.

Unfortunately....
                        I didnt think there would be a delay in ST never mind the season. Now I am not so sure about the season starting on time. I have given up on ST starting on time.

I am totally disgusted by it all. Baseball can not help by stepping on its own feet at every turn. The arrogance of baseball is not measurable.

When it comes to the HOF vote they try to walk on higher moral ground despite letting steroid users in but select others to lobby against. The all time hits leader and the all time HR leader are not in the HOF. Harold Baines is in. Fantastic.

Now with the lockout driven by greed on both sides shows that baseball doesnt have any special morality. They just want you to think they do. There is so much revenue to go around and these two sides can not come to any agreement? Its just greed. Without going into specifics of the issues - there is some middle ground without a doubt. Greed is stopping the middle ground from being met -- on both sides.

To your point Strawman - baseball needs an actual commissioner. We have said on here many times that the office of the "Commissioner of Baseball" is grossly mis titled. He is the Commissioner of the Owners.

Baseball needs a true Commissioner - that is a mediator between both sides with truly the best interest of the game in mind. He should not have absolute power but the ability to mediate.

Manfred, and Selig, - in my opinion - have been two of the worst things to happen to the game as a whole since the game was not integrated.
                        Last edited by Paulypal; 02-06-2022, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                          The all time hits leader and the all time HR leader are not in the HOF. Harold Baines is in. Fantastic.
                          Please don't blame Harold Baines for Rose and Bonds being excluded. They have nobody but themselves to blame.

Baseball needs a true Commissioner - that is a mediator between both sides with truly the best interest of the game in mind. He should not have absolute power but the ability to mediate.
                          I nominate Bob Costas.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• 8 days to pitchers and catchers?

At some point if this continues I can see a 140-150 game season. The unsigned Free Agents must be walking around in bubble wrap. Get injured now and no contract or smaller length/amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I didnt think there would be a delay in ST never mind the season. Now I am not so sure about the season starting on time. I have given up on ST starting on time.

I am totally disgusted by it all. Baseball can not help by stepping on its own feet at every turn. The arrogance of baseball is not measurable.

When it comes to the HOF vote they try to walk on higher moral ground despite letting steroid users in but select others to lobby against. The all time hits leader and the all time HR leader are not in the HOF. Harold Baines is in. Fantastic.

Now with the lockout driven by greed on both sides shows that baseball doesnt have any special morality. They just want you to think they do. There is so much revenue to go around and these two sides can not come to any agreement? Its just greed. Without going into specifics of the issues - there is some middle ground without a doubt. Greed is stopping the middle ground from being met -- on both sides.

To your point Strawman - baseball needs an actual commissioner. We have said on here many times that the office of the "Commissioner of Baseball" is grossly mis titled. He is the Commissioner of the Owners.

Manfred, and Selig, - in my opinion - have been two of the worst things to happen to the game as a whole since the game was not integrated.
                              I've looked at the MLBPA's latest proposal. This is 100% the owners being overly greedy. Things like anti-tanking incentives make the game more competitive.

We will be lucky if we see baseball on July this year.

I'm also not even remotely surprised by this. The 60 game season in the height of the pandemic only happened because of a drop date clause and that was in the middle of a time where people were starving for entertainment of any kind. I remember things like the World Series of Cornhole and the national Beer Pong championships getting prime time airtime on ESPN that year and actually generating positive Nielsen scores.
                              Last edited by jjpm74; 02-06-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                                Please don't blame Harold Baines for Rose and Bonds being excluded. They have nobody but themselves to blame.

I nominate Bob Costas.
                                I just reread my post and I didnt see where I blamed Harold Baines for anything. My point was --- in case you missed it -- was that baseball likes to stand on its high moral ground when it suits them, but ignores it when it doesnt.

Baseball itself was always the cause of the steroid epidemic. The owners, GM's, and Selig himself were the root cause. It made the game a ton of money, and when it hit the fan they cut the players loose to swing.

MLB likes to use the morality clause when it works, but they should look at history and re- think their position. Racists, gamblers, drunks, steroid users and game fixers are all in the HOF.

You should a book titled "Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball". You might be surprised as to the amount of game fixing that was going on by the stars of the day -- Cobb, Lajoie, Speaker, countless others.
                                Last edited by Paulypal; 02-06-2022, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X