Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between different rules in the leagues, different ballpark dimensions, no salary cap, indoor or outdoor stadiums, different weather, different schedules, the record of a team that doesn’t win their division needs to change the rules for postseason play?

As if the win/loss records are on the level to begin with.
    Last edited by LI METS FAN; 10-16-2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
      Between different rules in the leagues, different ballpark dimensions, no salary cap, indoor or outdoor stadiums, different weather, different schedules, the record of a team that doesn’t win their division needs to change the rules for postseason play?

Aw come on, are you really dismissing wins and losses?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Most of the variables you listed were around before divisions were ever created. Are you saying you're okay with the way things are? If that's your opinion, fine. I'm just trying to ascertain what it is.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

So are you saying everything has to be perfectly lined up and equal for the records to be "on the level"?

And to answer your question............yes it needs to change. When a team that wins 90 games gets home field over a team that wins 106 in my opinion that is a problem in the set up.

Hypothetical question -- Look at this past season Toronto didnt make the playoffs with 91 wins. The White Sox won 93 games. What if the White Sox won 90 games - now they still would have won their division that absolutely sucked by 10 games instead of 13 but they would have had a worse record than Toronto, and make the playoffs while Toronto goes home.

I dont think that works. The better team wouldnt have made the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Aw come on, are you really dismissing wins and losses?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Most of the variables you listed were around before divisions were ever created. Are you saying you're okay with the way things are? If that's your opinion, fine. I'm just trying to ascertain what it is.
          No I’m saying that there are a lot of differentials that go into a won-loss record. Dodgers had a great year. They are defending champs. Their 106 wins are impressive. The Mets certainly couldn’t beat them.
          With all that,They came in second place. Because they came in second place with an impressive record the rules need to change?

Matt Snyder CBS Sports- don’t change a rule for an anomaly that will never happen again.
          Last edited by LI METS FAN; 10-16-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

So are you saying everything has to be perfectly lined up and equal for the records to be "on the level"?

And to answer your question............yes it needs to change. When a team that wins 90 games gets home field over a team that wins 106 in my opinion that is a problem in the set up.

Hypothetical question -- Look at this past season Toronto didnt make the playoffs with 91 wins. The White Sox won 93 games. What if the White Sox won 90 games - now they still would have won their division that absolutely sucked by 10 games instead of 13 but they would have had a worse record than Toronto, and make the playoffs while Toronto goes home.

I dont think that works. The better team wouldnt have made the playoffs.
            They came in second place with a very impressive record. Very.
            The current rules say they’re the Wild Card without home field advantage. I know they tried their best to obtain first place. They weren’t successful. If the Giants advanced the Braves would not be playing in Atlanta tonight.
            the Dodgers beat the Rockies and Dbacks 29 times. The Giants beat the Rockies and Dbacks 32 times. Looks like the difference right there.

If MLB wanted second place teams with better records than first place teams to have home field advantage they should have done it.
            Last edited by LI METS FAN; 10-16-2021, 07:03 PM.

Comment

No I’m saying that there are a lot of differentials that go into a won-loss record. Dodgers had a great year. They are defending champs. Their 106 wins are impressive. The Mets certainly couldn’t beat them.
              With all that,They came in second place. Because they came in second place with an impressive record the rules need to change?

Matt Snyder CBS Sports- don’t change a rule for an anomaly that will never happen again.

They came in second place with a very impressive record. Very.
              The current rules say they’re the Wild Card without home field advantage. I know they tried their best to obtain first place. They weren’t successful. If the Giants advanced the Braves would not be playing in Atlanta tonight.
              the Dodgers beat the Rockies and Dbacks 29 times. The Giants beat the Rockies and Dbacks 32 times. Looks like the difference right there.

If MLB wanted second place teams with better records than first place teams to have home field advantage they should have done it.
              I think I understand what you're saying. At the same time, it does seem like you're okay with the way things are. I mean, are you saying things shouldn't change in an effort to improve on things and perhaps stop so many injustices? Again, if you like how things are, you're entitled.

One of the primary points is, the Dodgers came in second place in their division. They also came in second in the National League and MLB. I don't know what the run differentials were, nor the variables in each park. I just know the Giants, the winningest team in baseball, are sitting at home watching the rest of October on TV with the rest of us, because they were eliminated by the "second best team" before the semifinals. ...a team that had to unreasonably prove themselves against the Cardinals before they could get on with business.

It's like hockey now, and I think it sucks.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

I think I understand what you're saying. At the same time, it does seem like you're okay with the way things are. I mean, are you saying things shouldn't change in an effort to improve on things and perhaps stop so many injustices? Again, if you like how things are, you're entitled.

One of the primary points is, the Dodgers came in second place in their division. They also came in second in the National League and MLB. I don't know what the run differentials were, nor the variables in each park. I just know the Giants, the winningest team in baseball, are sitting at home watching the rest of October on TV with the rest of us, because they were eliminated by the "second best team" before the semifinals. ...a team that had to unreasonably prove themselves against the Cardinals before they could get on with business.

It's like hockey now, and I think it sucks.
                I’m ok with the current playoff rules.

Why the Giants who were below .500 and substantially below .500 in 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017 had a great season this year I don’t know.
                They rested while other teams played a wild card game. They had home field advantage. They didn’t win in an elimination game at home.

Comment

I’m ok with the current playoff rules.

Why the Giants who were below .500 and substantially below .500 in 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017 had a great season this year I don’t know.
                  They rested while other teams played a wild card game. They had home field advantage. They didn’t win in an elimination game at home.
                  The best teams in other sports can go through a regular season undefeated, or close to it. The best teams in baseball will only win 2/3rds of their games. The favorites usually win through the playoffs in other sports. Baseball's different. Multiple short series are very likely to knock out the best teams, thereby rendering the regular season pointless. This sets up a World Series between teams that don't belong on that stage.

The system is almost rigged to advance teams that fans don't want to see. World Series viewership has plummeted in the era of expanded playoffs.

I think the correlation is obvious.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

The other thing which I haven’t seen written about yet is that before 2012 the Wild Card winner could NOT face the winner of their own division in the Division Series. They played the team with the best record outside their division. Complaints were made about that. The WC team SHOULD face the team with the best record in the Division Series. So the rule changed.

Fast forward almost a dozen years and now complaints are made that the WC team should NOT face the winner of their own division in the Division Series. The rule SHOULDN'T have been changed to begin with apparently.

Comment

So LA would have played the Brewers and Atlanta would have played the Giants in the Division Series if changes hadn’t been made to a perfectly good rule.

Comment

I think there is a way to keep the playoffs as they are and give the best team the homefield advantage. Of the three division winners, have home field advantage go to the winner of the seasonal series against the other team and then let wins be the tiebreaker if the teams split the season series against each other.

As for the 1 game playoff, supposedly, one of the major sticking points of the CBA is to turn that into aa 3 game series.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                          I think there is a way to keep the playoffs as they are and give the best team the homefield advantage. Of the three division winners, have home field advantage go to the winner of the seasonal series against the other team and then let wins be the tiebreaker if the teams split the season series against each other.

As for the 1 game playoff, supposedly, one of the major sticking points of the CBA is to turn that into aa 3 game series.
                          In your example is the “other team” the WC team? Or just referring to the 3 division winners series records with the WC team never having home field advantage no matter their record?
                          Last edited by LI METS FAN; 10-17-2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

The other thing which I haven’t seen written about yet is that before 2012 the Wild Card winner could NOT face the winner of their own division in the Division Series. They played the team with the best record outside their division. Complaints were made about that. The WC team SHOULD face the team with the best record in the Division Series. So the rule changed.

Fast forward almost a dozen years and now complaints are made that the WC team should NOT face the winner of their own division in the Division Series. The rule SHOULDN'T have been changed to begin with apparently.
                            I've not heard those complaints.

Intra-division or not, I actually don't care who the WC team plays. I think the Wild Card should be eliminated altogether.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

In your example is the “other team” the WC team? Or just referring to the 3 division winners series records with the WC team never having home field advantage no matter their record?
                              Just in the case of the division winners. The WC team shouldn't get home field advantage outside of the WC game.

Comment

I've not heard those complaints.

Intra-division or not, I actually don't care who the WC team plays. I think the Wild Card should be eliminated altogether.
                                Fair enough.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X