X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Well if there’s a season we know someone in the Hodges family will be throwing out the first pitch on Opening Day.
    There has to be some sort of public acknowledgement by the Mets, right?

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

96 and she got to hear the announcement live!
    Awesome. She is such a lovely lady, and I'm so happy for her and the family. How great is it that she lived long enough for this.

A really momentous occasion.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I believe Joan Hodges is 95 years old. This has gotta be a great day for her.
    96 and she got to hear the announcement live!

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    Gil hodges finally elected
    to cooperstown !!!!!
    Seriously, I'm over the moon on him FINALLY getting in!!!

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied

Several years ago I printed off the stats for my dad that showed Hodges and Perez were so close in stats that if either was in , they both should be in . Or neither .

I found an old photo album from my mom . The black construction paper is literally crumbling , and it
    covers her family events 1946-1947 . Inside the album was an official 8x10 of Hodges with a stamp in the back saying “ Brooklyn National League Baseball Club ”.
    I’m in a Facebook group that tried to promote Gil’s candidacy and his daughter is a part of it and she asked me to send her a copy of the photo , which I did .

Also very glad Buck O’Neill finally got in too !

Yes siree.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    I've argued the point many times on the HoF and History boards: With war credit, Hodges was Tony Perez as a player, plus a legendary stint as manager.

This is long overdue.

I wish there was a Gil Hodges around we could hire as manager right now.
    Several years ago I printed off the stats for my dad that showed Hodges and Perez were so close in stats that if either was in , they both should be in . Or neither .

I found an old photo album from my mom . The black construction paper is literally crumbling , and it
    covers her family events 1946-1947 . Inside the album was an official 8x10 of Hodges with a stamp in the back saying “ Brooklyn National League Baseball Club ”.
    I’m in a Facebook group that tried to promote Gil’s candidacy and his daughter is a part of it and she asked me to send her a copy of the photo , which I did .

Also very glad Buck O’Neill finally got in too !

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    I've argued the point many times on the HoF and History boards: With war credit, Hodges was Tony Perez as a player, plus a legendary stint as manager.

This is long overdue.

I wish there was a Gil Hodges around we could hire as manager right now.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Hallelujah!
    And his wife is still with us. So happy for her, the family, his friends and teammates/players he managed.

There’s a bridge in Brooklyn that people better be honking on as they drive over it.
    I believe Joan Hodges is 95 years old. This has gotta be a great day for her.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Well if there’s a season we know someone in the Hodges family will be throwing out the first pitch on Opening Day.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    to cooperstown !!!!!
    Wow! Holy cow, that is so awesome! And long overdue.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    to cooperstown !!!!!
    Hallelujah!
    And his wife is still with us. So happy for her, the family, his friends and teammates/players he managed.

There’s a bridge in Brooklyn that people better be honking on as they drive over it.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    to cooperstown !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    After the government built Coupon Field, and Fred quit spending money on the team, the Mets had a decade of cheap or rookie managers. Since they also had a decade of cheap or rookie players, it usually worked out.

Who was good enough to be a prima donna? Maybe Harvey, but for him this manifested more in running after women, than on the field. Wright and Parnell threw out Syndergaard's lunch, and that was that. Valdespin? Buck sucker punched him after a game winning grand slam (as I recall), with a brick covered in shaving cream, and masquerading as a pie. This was on camera. And that was that.

Most of the team came through the Minors together. Fred was more interested in cheap, family friendly free agents than good ones. Team harmony was easier. But those things have changed.

I can't remember much about Joe Torre as a tactician, but he managed to maintain harmony in a potentially difficult late 90s, Yankee clubhouse. I always advocated Dusty Baker for his people skills. Now that managers are no longer allowed to think for themselves, people skills are probably the only thing left that matters.

Right now, I think a manager of men is more important than a slave to the analytics team.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post

In fairness to Rojas, he had a decent amount of success managing the Mets minor leagues before getting the call up, even managing several players in both the minors and majors. When he was hired to manage the Mets, I had visions of the same kinda success.
    Ok I see that on some level...in 2020, but when they kept him for 2021 after they turned over the ownership and front office it was a mistake keeping him.

Personally, and this is just me maybe, but when it comes to a manager I want the guy with pedigree. Let other teams hire the first time MLB managers. When the first day as an MLB manager is managing the Mets - I pass. That doesnt mean that first timers cant be good it is just not the direction I like Mets going in.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I agree with you and Mongoose on Granderson.

It is a great out of the box name to throw out there, but to me that is all it is. I would like to see this team go totally pro - especially after the start this off season got off to.

In my opinion hiring a new first time guy would be a total blow to momentum gained the past two weeks. Bochy, or Showalter put the icing on the cake for me. Yes I realize that both of those guys are considered old school, but how many "collaborative" managers do we have to see until we get a real one?

Every manager nowadays old school or not realizes that analytics and the guys upstairs are going to have their say, but I still feel along with that you need the field general. Sling Blade, and Rojas were just horrendous hires.

The last two managers were disasters - total disasters. Hopefully Cohen can learn from other peoples mistakes.
    In fairness to Rojas, he had a decent amount of success managing the Mets minor leagues before getting the call up, even managing several players in both the minors and majors. When he was hired to manage the Mets, I had visions of the same kinda success.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X