Beltran pulls a Rollins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metsfan28 View Post
    ur pretty much sayin we cant beat the phillies??
    Hmmm.... no. Those words never came out out my mouth, nor were my words meant to be interpreted that way. I KNOW we can kick their butts. No ifs ands or buts.
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
      Hmmm.... no. Those words never came out out my mouth, nor were my words meant to be interpreted that way. I KNOW we can kick their butts. No ifs ands or buts.
      Don't you mean,"no ifs ands or butts

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
        lol grammar police
        Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

-Lou Brock-

Comment

Originally posted by metsfan28 View Post
          lol grammar police
          Sorry, Dalkowski110 has been named Grammar Guru, in the just for this occasion thread

Comment

Same difference. (I was born in North Central Joiiiisey, so it's all good)

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
              Same difference. (I was born in North Central Joiiiisey, so it's all good)
              Bergan County?

Comment

Bergan County?
                Morris .

Comment

Bergan County?
                  Bergen County

Comment

The gap in Rollins teeth. 5 1/2 inches
                    The distance of a Beltran homerun. 500 feet
                    The distance from the Phillies hair to jaw after the Mets clinch. Priceless

Comment

Mistake on Beltran's part, imo. First of all, like stated many times, he's not usually the vocal leader. I'm not sure if he realized that with one statement, he made himself the representative of this team. He'll be the first one the media comes to in a big loss, his slumps will be magnified more than anyone else on the team. By getting a little over confident because of one player, he's set himself up to be the vocal leader for the rest of the year. I don't think that was his intention and I don't think he will want that role for the rest of the season. Rollins was outspoken before he made his comment, so he was prepared for the amount of attention he received last season. If this affects Beltran's performance in a positive way I'll be surprised.

Secondly, Rollins didn't call out the Mets or anyone on the Mets specifically. Though the team no doubt took offense to his statement, he didn't direct it at them. Beltran on the other hand not only added fuel to Rollins' and the Phillies' fire, he did so to every team he neglected that is also in the NL East. The Phils may be the defending champs, but thanks to Beltran, the Mets will be the team everybody's gunning for and giving their best against.

Finally, Beltran seriously underestimated Philly fans. Sure Beltran ditched Houston for NY, but he didn't hit a bunch of homeruns in the playoffs for the Phillies. These fans have no reason to show the slightest bit of mercy. Phillies fans didn't need another reason to hate Mets players, but Beltran went and gave them one. I can't wait for his first game in Philly.
                      Defending NL East Champion's Philadelphia Phillies

Comment

"Sure Beltran ditched Houston for NY, but he didn't hit a bunch of homeruns in the playoffs for the Phillies."

Jimmy Rollins' Stat Line for the 2007 Playoffs, plus HR's hit...

NLDS: .182/.308/.606 with 1 homerun (one is a bunch?)

Carlos Beltran's Stat Line for the 2006 Playoffs, plus HR's hit...

NLDS: .222/.500/.222 with no homers. But what about the NLCS?

NLCS: .296/.387/.667 with 3 homeruns. Forgot about that?

I think it's safe to say Beltran's playoffs, even excluding 2004 where everyone acknowledged he tore it up (translation: 2007 only), are far superior to Rollins' lone appearance. Now how about performances against each other's teams? Rollins has the reputation of a Met Killer, one he likely deserves (stats are for 2007)...

.346/.391/.667 with 6 homeruns (in 81 at-bats)

But what about Carlos Beltran against the Phillies?

.278/.338/.597 with 6 homeruns (in 80 at-bats)

Beltran and Rollins actually walked the same amount of times vs. the Phillies and Mets respectively. Rollins' lone edge is that he collects nine more hits. Beltran even steals 5 bases (Rollins steals 6). With the exception of Rollins' nine hits, Rollins and Beltran put up almost exactly THE SAME STAT LINE.

While you're entitled to your opinion on the dichotomy between Beltran, Rollins, and the Mets and Phillies, you cannot tell me that 1) Beltran didn't perform well against the Phillies or 2) that Rollins is somehow better in a playoff environment. Because neither are true and the numbers would agree with me.
                        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
                          "Sure Beltran ditched Houston for NY, but he didn't hit a bunch of homeruns in the playoffs for the Phillies."

Jimmy Rollins' Stat Line for the 2007 Playoffs, plus HR's hit...

NLDS: .182/.308/.606 with 1 homerun (one is a bunch?)

Carlos Beltran's Stat Line for the 2006 Playoffs, plus HR's hit...

NLDS: .222/.500/.222 with no homers. But what about the NLCS?

NLCS: .296/.387/.667 with 3 homeruns. Forgot about that?

I think it's safe to say Beltran's playoffs, even excluding 2004 where everyone acknowledged he tore it up (translation: 2007 only), are far superior to Rollins' lone appearance. Now how about performances against each other's teams? Rollins has the reputation of a Met Killer, one he likely deserves (stats are for 2007)...

.346/.391/.667 with 6 homeruns (in 81 at-bats)

But what about Carlos Beltran against the Phillies?

.278/.338/.597 with 6 homeruns (in 80 at-bats)

Beltran and Rollins actually walked the same amount of times vs. the Phillies and Mets respectively. Rollins' lone edge is that he collects nine more hits. Beltran even steals 5 bases (Rollins steals 6). With the exception of Rollins' nine hits, Rollins and Beltran put up almost exactly THE SAME STAT LINE.

While you're entitled to your opinion on the dichotomy between Beltran, Rollins, and the Mets and Phillies, you cannot tell me that 1) Beltran didn't perform well against the Phillies or 2) that Rollins is somehow better in a playoff environment. Because neither are true and the numbers would agree with me.
                          Calm down. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that Beltran hit 8 homeruns for the Astros in the playoffs in 2004. Astro fans may despise him running away to New York after that season, but in the end they got more than they expected: a rental player who played strong for them in the postseason. If he thinks the reputation and the reception he gets from Houston and Philly fans are going to be similar at all, there's something wrong with him.

Nice stats in your second section, but I never said Beltran doesn't perform well against the Phillies. Beltran has played well against the Phillies since he blasted a 16th inning walkoff against Ryan Madson in 06. My point was that he made himself the face of this team, and that type of pressure is much different from playoff pressure. Jose Reyes and Delgado were picking up much of the slack back in 06. Now Delgado's bat speed and play are declining and Reyes is coming off of a down year. It's all speculation of course, I know as much as the next person about what will happen in the future, but I feel this pressure will get to Beltran.

Comment

I misunderstood your point, but still take some issue with it. It became clear as you said that Beltran has basically been the Phillie Killer in the Mets lineup ever since that 16th inning homerun. Well, Phils fans have hated him ever since. He should be able to deal with this. Time will prove one of us right.
                            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

One homerun doesn't cause the kind of hatred a statement like this can. Answer this: Was Rollins every treated as harshly in Shea over one game against the Mets as he was after his comments?

I agree, time will tell, but I think the nature of Philly fans is clear enough to make this prediction. J-Roll will hear it big time from Shea again this year, and Beltran will hear the same from CBP.

Comment

"but I think the nature of Philly fans is clear enough to make this prediction."

Actually, if you think of it, Beltran's shouldered the load of the Shea Faithful going berserk at him and using him as some kind of scapegoat (to a degree I honest don't think Pat Burrell has experienced...well, maybe per capita, but not on the grand scale) whenever he slumps. Again, here's an example...Beltran's reputation as a slacker (which is BS, btw) really comes from the Mets part of his career.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X