Figueroa's start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figueroa's start

Figueroa looked good. Perfect game through 4th, 2 runs in 5th, only walked 2 2 hits, and 6 strikeouts.

I think he is a similar situation to Pagan. It looks like they caught lightning in a bottle with them and they should get all they can. However, expectations have to be tempered, as I doubt either one can keep it up for an extended time.

That said, great job tonight and hopefully he can pitch anywhere near this well in the future:gt
    "All shortstops can dance...Derek Jeter is a fullback with power and speed. Jose Reyes is a tailback with speed and quickness"-"analysis" of the New York shortstops' defense by the genius that is Joe Morgan

Comment

He'd certainly make a solid reliever if someone went down. The fact that he exclusively pitches out the stretch helps him a bit.
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Every championship team has a good mix of veterans, kids and 1 or 2 players that emerge from the dead and give the WS game announcers a chance to report their remarkable story. Figueroa, and Pagan too, look like they could be our 'special stories' this season.

Comment

Well, nice Cinderella Story.
          His wife had some tears of joy right after the anounce said s.th. like "Tonights winning pitcher New York Mets # 27 Nelson Figueroa". Just nice to see that.

He won't pitch like that all season long, but who cares right now
          sorry for some grammar mistakes

Comment

I think that if Willie and The Jacket can get six innings, 2 runs, and 6 strikeouts out of Figgy every time he pitches, or average that for 5-6 starts, I'd say that Pelf is the pithcer that goes back to the Big Easy when Pedro comes back from the DL. If Figgy averages those numbers, then Omar just found himself a #4, not a #5. It'll also take one pitching slot out of the "need a replacement for" column, at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by metssincekindergarten View Post
              I think that if Willie and The Jacket can get six innings, 2 runs, and 6 strikeouts out of Figgy every time he pitches, or average that for 5-6 starts, I'd say that Pelf is the pithcer that goes back to the Big Easy when Pedro comes back from the DL. If Figgy averages those numbers, then Omar just found himself a #4, not a #5. It'll also take one pitching slot out of the "need a replacement for" column, at the end of the year.
              No matter how well he pitches, his repoirtoire gives him no chance of averaging a strikeout per inning for a sustained period of time
              "All shortstops can dance...Derek Jeter is a fullback with power and speed. Jose Reyes is a tailback with speed and quickness"-"analysis" of the New York shortstops' defense by the genius that is Joe Morgan

Comment

"No matter how well he pitches, his repoirtoire gives him no chance of averaging a strikeout per inning for a sustained period of time"

Agreed. He's a sinkerball type pitcher. However, he likely could at the very least maintain a 5.0 K/9 rate (check out his stats, both Major and Minor League), which makes him independent of his fielders. I do think he's good as a swingman or long guy, though.
                "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince85 View Post
                  Well, nice Cinderella Story.
                  His wife had some tears of joy right after the anounce said s.th. like "Tonights winning pitcher New York Mets # 27 Nelson Figueroa". Just nice to see that.

He won't pitch like that all season long, but who cares right now
                  Agreed! It was great to see him pitch so well.. Lifelong Met fan and now getting his 1st win as a Met!
                  "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                  ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X