Honest Question: Do you consider the Phillies "rivals"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest Question: Do you consider the Phillies "rivals"

Not, the oh well they are in the same division and we both are fighting for first type of rivals.

The I REALLY WANT TO BEAT THIS TEAM NO MATTER THE COST type of rivals.

Because in all honesty, I don't. The Philly fans seem to have this hatred of the Mets... and I just don't feel the same towards them.

I hold a true disdain towards the Yankees.... and felt a similar hatred for the Braves back in late 90's and early oozes.

Am I completely off base?

I don't consider them rivals like the Yankees and Red Sox are rivals or Cubs and Cards are rivals.

I want to beat them at all costs because they are the team we have to beat to win the division.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Absolutely, the Phillies are now bonafide rivals. They talk smack, they call us out, they give us a hard time on the field. And there is what happened last year...The Mets must crush them to make up for that.

Plus I went to school near Philly and they have it bad for New York down there.
      Last edited by AutographCollector; 07-23-2008, 11:03 AM. Reason: Edited due to language.

Comment

Originally posted by LostMet View Post
        Absolutely, the Phillies are now bonafide rivals. They talk smack, they call us out, they give us a hard time on the field. And there is what happened last year...The Mets must crush them to make up for that.

Plus I went to school near Philly and they have it bad for New York down there. They should since they live in a **** hole.
        Just because a team's fans talk smack about you doesn't mean you are rivals with them.

It really has to be mutual. No, this reminds me of Maryland's "rivalry" with Duke... If you ask a Dukie, they will say Maryland is obsessed with them.

IMHO Philly is just obsessed with us, which kinda seems to be what you are describing.

You may feel a natural rivalry because of your geographical location, but the majority of New York Met Fans are not privy to the taunts of Phillie fans. And most that I know (granted it isn't a large sample size), don't feel the same way towards Philly as they do towards us.

Comment

There is not enough history yet. For much of the past 40 years, when one team was good, the other was bad. That has only changed recently
          http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fromw what I hear...

They don't like each other much and that has plenty to do with last year's results.

But I can think of several phils-Mets situations where the Mets were on the wrong side.

Anyone remember 26-7? Years ago, the Mets actually lost by that score. Two pitching Stiffs named Calvin Scharldi and Tom Gorman were the main culprits.

On at least three occasions, I remember the Mets playing well and then when the Phils came up on the schedule, not only did the Phils win convincingly, but it always would send the Mets plummeting.

I remember the 70's when a guy named Luzinski teamed up with Mike Schmidt and killed Mets pitching, and I'm talking about pitchers like Seaver, Koosman, Matlack.

So, I hate the Phillies. I hope the players hate them as much as I do.
            http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...lOrangeLED.gif

Comment

Due to their geographic proximity, and both teams have been competitive the last few years, the Mets and Phillies have got to be rivals. It won't be like Yanks-Red Sox or Cubs-Cardinals, but it has potential.

Comment

I don't think it will last long. The Phillies aren't willing to use their resources to keep their players long term.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

I think it is a really good rivalry in the making. The core players of both teams are relatively young, good players, so these teams should be battling for the the top of the NL East for years. Just gotta have Rollins and Beltran keep going at each other through the media. I really hope it becomes huge because I'm only 2 hrs from NY and 90 mins. from Philly.
                  People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

Comment

The Phillies' core players are actually older.

Rollins-29
                    Utley-29
                    Howard-28
                    Burrell-31

Reyes-25
                    Wright-25
                    Beltran-31
                    Church-29

I threw Burrell in there b/c he could be re-signed and Church b/c he seems like the only other guy besides the Mets' who will be sticking around for a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by nymetsgiantspolo View Post
                      Just because a team's fans talk smack about you doesn't mean you are rivals with them.
                      I think he was referring to the Phillies players. Jimmy Rollins has talked smack on multiple occasions, and I think Brett Myers has as well. The Phillies have become the Braves to us of the late 1990's.
                      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
                      ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy View Post
                        I think he was referring to the Phillies players. Jimmy Rollins has talked smack on multiple occasions, and I think Brett Myers has as well. The Phillies have become the Braves to us of the late 1990's.
                        I just don't feel the fire... Some feel the same... some feel different.

Comment

Phils are Rivals

It may not be Sox-Yukees now, but it could become something similar.

Comment

No Love for Philly Teams

My dislike goes far past the Phillies. I hate all the Philadelphia teams. Here's why:

Last season.

The Fumble.

The'73 Sixers were 9-73. Somehow they managed to be the Knicks who were enroute to a championship.

Philly teams have a way of getting lucky when it comes to New York, Knicks and Mets especially.

Comment

I can not stand the Phillies. Never liked them nor will I ever. I also can not stand the Braves.

I consider this to be a rivalry. Rollins talked his garbage last year, and this year Beltran not only spoke, but this team will deliver.
                              Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X