No announcement yet.

Where Are They Now? & Random Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool article. Thanks for posting. Brought back a bunch of memories. I was 10 and loved the Mets in 1969. A bunch of them came after the Series to visit us at Nyack Elementary School in Rockland County, (my family and I had moved from NYC in July and I still thought I lived way out in the country), played the NY Giants in a charity basketball game and then signed autographs up on the stage. That was a great year to be a kid.

Comment

It's still very odd to me that Ryan was with us in '69 as a kid, then against us in '86 as a grizzled veteran. Of course, he pitched another 7 years.
      Originally posted by Cougar
      "Read at your own risk. Baseball Fever shall not be responsible if you become clinically insane trying to make sense of this post. People under 18 must read in the presence of a parent, guardian, licensed professional, or Dr. Phil."

Comment

Joe Rigatoni

Forgive me,guys,but this is a story more of a "where are they now" in
        reverse.But this is the closest forum to telling this story without starting my
        own forum.Not that this is earth shattering but here goes.Roy Staiger when
        he was playing for the Mets specifically in 1976-77 was living in my hometown
        Hicksville,L.I.I was 12-13 years old at the time and a friend of mine who is my
        age had a Newsday paper route at the time and found out where Roy Staiger
        lived and tried to get him to subscribe to Newsday.My friend rang Staiger's
        door bell and Roy Staiger's wife answered and she was wearing a Mets T-shirt
        at the time and politely said that they weren't interested in subscribing to
        Newsday.Well,that's the story.I know my friend milladrive will roll his eyes like
        Ralph Kramden after reading this since he's heard this story many times.(lol).
        Thanks for reading.Sincerely,Joe Rigatoni
        "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
        at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
          Forgive me,guys,but this is a story more of a "where are they now" in
          reverse.But this is the closest forum to telling this story without starting my
          own forum.Not that this is earth shattering but here goes.Roy Staiger when
          he was playing for the Mets specifically in 1976-77 was living in my hometown
          Hicksville,L.I.I was 12-13 years old at the time and a friend of mine who is my
          age had a Newsday paper route at the time and found out where Roy Staiger
          lived and tried to get him to subscribe to Newsday.My friend rang Staiger's
          door bell and Roy Staiger's wife answered and she was wearing a Mets T-shirt
          at the time and politely said that they weren't interested in subscribing to
          Newsday.Well,that's the story.I know my friend milladrive will roll his eyes like
          Ralph Kramden after reading this since he's heard this story many times.(lol).
          Thanks for reading.Sincerely,Joe Rigatoni
          Thats a great story, because not too many people are thinking about Staiger these days. I grew up about 10 miles from Hicksville, am the same age as you, and never knew a Met other than Mazzilli (Syosset) and Torre (Huntington) lived that close to me. Never learned exactly where Mazz and Torre actually lived in those towns. Would love to know. Tommy Holmes and Cal Abrams lived in Woodbury during the 70's and early 80's. Swoboda also lived in Syosset in 70's at one point after his career ended.

Comment

Random Sightings

Originally posted by Kentonio View Post
            Thats a great story, because not too many people are thinking about Staiger these days. I grew up about 10 miles from Hicksville, am the same age as you, and never knew a Met other than Mazzilli (Syosset) and Torre (Huntington) lived that close to me. Never learned exactly where Mazz and Torre actually lived in those towns. Would love to know. Tommy Holmes and Cal Abrams lived in Woodbury during the 70's and early 80's. Swoboda also lived in Syosset in 70's at one point after his career ended.
            Thanks for the feedback.I really appreciate it.I actually saw Tommy Holmes at
            the Hicksville train station once in 1988 and he was impressed that I recognized him and knew who he was and he gave me his business card as he
            worked for the Mets at that time.I saw Sam Perlozzo once at a shoe store at
            the Broadway Mall in Hicksville when he was one of the coaches for the Mets
            in the late 80s.I once worked at 100 Crossways in Woodbury as it was a
            building with green tinted windows and I was eating my lunch in the cafetria
            when I saw Tommie Agee walked in.I was the only one who recognized him.
            I said to him "Hey Mr.Agee,how you're doing" and I shook his hand and he
            smiled and said "Hey,how you're doing'' and he shook my hand.It looked like he
            appreciated a guy at work having his lunch recognized him like that.
            That was in 1989.I once saw Howie Rose at the Hicksville train station and I
            was talking with him and he told me he lives around here.I also saw Howie at
            the Shoprite supermarket on S Oyster Bay Rd in the Plainview Center which is
            on the Hicksville/Plainview borderline.My father and my brother once saw him
            at The House Of Lords pool hall in Hicksville.Also,when I was at the Paul
            McCartney concert in Citi Field this past Friday night as I was waiting on line
            to get into Citi Field my friend milladrive and I saw Howie Rose walking by so
            we both shook his hand and my friend milladrive got to say "Put it in the books" to Howie Rose as that's milladrive's signature phrase from Howie's
            signature phrase(lol).I have seen Freeman McNeil of the Jets at the
            Hicksville train station,also one time at 100 Crossways in Woodbury,and a
            couple of times at Penn Station.In February I saw Rich Cimini who covers the
            Jets for the Daily News and is a frequent guest of SNY's Daily News Live at the Hicksville train station as he was on his way to do a taping of Daily News
            Live and I told him I hope the Jets sign free agent Bart Scott and he said that
            would me a great move for the Jets and the Jets did eventually sign him.
            Once again,thanks for the feedback.I really appreciate it.

Love the fact that Hicksville's Billy Joel's song "Scenes From An Italian
            Restaurant" refers to the Italian restaurant Christiano's in Syosset.
            Billy was also a surprise guest at this past Friday's Paul McCartney concert
            at Citi Field as he participated in one song "I Saw Her Standing There".

Grote once said to Koosman:"You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you at least a tie."(lol).
            "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
            at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
              He [Dykstra] is wealthy, though, because he has his health [presumably].
              Zig, you should check out some of the photos. It's been a long time since Lenny was "Nails" -- he's looking pretty awful, in fact.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X