Rotation Options...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotation Options...

Beyond Santana, Maine, and Pelfrey, the Mets' rotation has some question marks. Niese certainly didn't show he is a reliable 5th option, though he may have to be. Lowe looks like a perfect option for the Mets, but that still leaves us with one more hole. I honestly don't understand why the Mets would look at a guy like Tim Redding, since he really wasn't that outstanding for the Nationals in 2008. I think Randy Wolf has good stuff, but his health is questionable, and I don't like the idea of signing him for more than a season or so (especially if he's looking for $10 mil). So, here's my idea -- sign Andy Pettitte. The Mets need another lefty since Perez should be gone, and Pettitte has a good track record. The Yankees aren't willing to offer him more than a one year, $10 million deal, so why not offer him $12 million?

Our 2009 rotation...

Johan Santana
    Derek Lowe
    John Maine
    Andy Pettitte
    Mike Pelfrey

Not bad, eh?
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Have you looked at Pettitte's numbers since he stopped taking HGH? He's had an ERA over 4 and WHIP over 1.4. He was horrible in the 2nd half last year as well. He's approaching Glavine's 2007 form and needs to retire.

Redding had a bad BAbip b/c the Nationals have no good fielders outside of Zimmerman. He'll also cost $4M at most. Pettitte will cost almost three times as much. He also had horrible home numbers.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
      Have you looked at Pettitte's numbers since he stopped taking HGH? He's had an ERA over 4 and WHIP over 1.4. He was horrible in the 2nd half last year as well. He's approaching Glavine's 2007 form and needs to retire.

Redding had a bad BAbip b/c the Nationals have no good fielders outside of Zimmerman. He'll also cost $4M at most. Pettitte will cost almost three times as much. He also had horrible home numbers.
      Glavine only had 89 K's in 2007, whereas Andy Pettitte had 158 K's in 2008. There is a big difference. Pettitte still has very good control (2.4 BB/9 IP), and in the second half, despite the ERA slip, he still posted a stronger K/9 IP (7.4 K/9 versus his 6.4 K/9 in the first half).

Another thing to consider is the move from the AL East to the NL East. Pettitte is still a good pitcher, would be even better in the NL, and would make the Mets rotation a heck of a lot stronger than having a journeyman like Tim Redding slotted to start.
      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Redding also has at best league-average control, and far worse than league average K/9 -- and have you seen his second half stats?
        ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

well the mets are heavily in talks with Lowe..personally i wouldnt mind pettite but i def. want wolf as our other lefty if petitte wont sign.....redding did OK in Washington but everywhere else he went he did bad

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy View Post
            Glavine only had 89 K's in 2007, whereas Andy Pettitte had 158 K's in 2008. There is a big difference. Pettitte still has very good control (2.4 BB/9 IP), and in the second half, despite the ERA slip, he still posted a stronger K/9 IP (7.4 K/9 versus his 6.4 K/9 in the first half).
            I said he is approaching Glavine's 2007 form who had a good 2006. He's only going to get worse at this point.

Another thing to consider is the move from the AL East to the NL East. Pettitte is still a good pitcher, would be even better in the NL, and would make the Mets rotation a heck of a lot stronger than having a journeyman like Tim Redding slotted to start.
            Think again. Pettitte's numbers in Houston in 2006 were hardly better than his last 2 years in the AL East.

Pettitte would need a multi-year deal to come here. And despite what you may think of Niese, the Mets want to leave a spot in the rotation available for him. If you signed Pettitte for 2 years, there won't be an open spot in the rotation for Niese until Pettitte goes. Signing Redding is cheaper in years and salary. Acquiring him also doesn't block a spot in the rotation from Niese.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

I was saying if he would take a one year deal for slightly more than the Yankees were offering, it would be a good move. And I'm not advocating that Petttite become our #2 or even #3 -- he'd be our #4. I'd rather throw a guy like Pettitte against the Phillies and Braves (especially the Phillies) than a guy like Redding (yes, I know, Redding had success against the Phillies last season, but that's as reputable as his entire career).
              ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

From last night:
                mets.com
                http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=nym
                Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

"Pettitte would need a multi-year deal to come here. And despite what you may think of Niese, the Mets want to leave a spot in the rotation available for him. If you signed Pettitte for 2 years, there won't be an open spot in the rotation for Niese until Pettitte goes. Signing Redding is cheaper in years and salary. Acquiring him also doesn't block a spot in the rotation from Niese."

If Neise is truly better than Pettitte or Wolf over the course of a season, then fine use him. No problem. If he isn't, then I don't care about saving a rotation spot for the rookie. Let him learn and refine in AAA ball for 1-3 years. The Mets already have given away too many games over the past couple of years and it cost them both times. I don't want Neise learning on the job unless he can really pitch well in the bigs this year and has a real opportunity to be a winning pitcher who can get through at least 6 innings. Otherwise he will give away games the Mets need while he is "developing." I don't have any confidence that the team constructed as it has been, will be able to overcome a bunch of "give away" games and still get to the playoffs. I want them to win NOW! Do what ever is best to make that happen. So if Pettitte or Wolf or Lowe or Neise or whomever possesses the best potential to make that happen I am good, but I am not for just saving a rotation spot because it may or may not block a guy like Neise or any other rookie for a year or two.

Comment

Now, this is what I like to see. Pitching talk.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Right now I am very concerned about the rotation. The only real starter that they can count on right now is Santana. Pelfrey had a good half a season, and Maine is coming off a big question mark season.

I was hoping for Lowe, and Perez to be honest. Yeah its big bucks but that would be a good 5 to have. Add that to the upgraded bullpen, and the Mets would be in good shape. Niese could be a spot starter, a would be good number 5 insurance.

I still think they need another bat in the lineup but thats not what this thread is about.

Comment

I would think the BoSox signing of Brad Penny bodes well for us getting Lowe. I would take Ollie in addition to Lowe but he's way overpriced for what he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met View Post
                          I would think the BoSox signing of Brad Penny bodes well for us getting Lowe. I would take Ollie in addition to Lowe but he's way overpriced for what he is.
                          What are your thoughts on Randy Wolf instead of Ollie?
                          Last edited by AutographCollector; 12-29-2008, 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Wolf is probably a safer bet, especially for the money. Ollie is capable of great things but he did cough up a 5-1 lead in his 2nd to last start this year. That's not $10-12M stuff to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met View Post
                              Ollie is capable of great things but he did cough up a 5-1 lead in his 2nd to last start this year. That's not $10-12M stuff to me.
                              Santana didn't accomplish squat in the first half, but look how is second half turned out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X