Our Mets Hall of Fame, election 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Mets Hall of Fame, election 11

This is the eleventh election for Our Mets Hall of Fame. Last time, we elected Jon Matlack.

For rules and specifications for this Hall of Fame, see:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=83894

New on the ballot:

Lute Barnes
    Jim Beauchamp
    Jim Fregosi
    Willie Mays
    Tommy Moore
    Joe Nolan
    Bob Rauch
    Dave Schneck
    Rusty Staub
    Brent Strom
    Bill Sudakis
    Chuck Taylor
    Hank Webb

Dropped from the last ballot:

Bob Aspromonte
    Buzz Capra
    Frank Estrada
    Don Hahn
    Don Rose
    Charlie Williams

Code:
    Mets Hall of Fame:

Player:          Times on ballot:          Induction percentage:           When inducted:

Tommie Agee             2                           80.00                   8th election 
    Jerry Grote             1                           100.00                  5th election
    Bud Harrelson           1                           100.00                  4th election
    Gil Hodges              1                           77.78                   1st election
    Cleon Jones             1                           100.00                  2nd election
    Jerry Koosman           1                           100.00                  6th election
    Ed Kranepool            1                           88.89                   1st election
    Jon Matlack             1                           81.82                   10th election
    Tug McGraw              1                           90.00                   4th election
    Tom Seaver              1                           91.67                   6th election

Manager:          Times on ballot:          Induction percentage:           When inducted:

Gil Hodges               1                           90.00                   1st Mgr. election
    Davey Johnson            1                           100.00                  1st Mgr. election
    Bobby Valentine          2                           100.00                  2nd Mgr. election

Code:
    Holdovers:

Player:          Times on ballot:          Previous percentage:          High percentage: 
    Richie Ashburn          10                      18.18                         33.33
    Yogi Berra              7                       27.27                         41.67
    Ed Charles              5                       36.36                         36.36
    Donn Clendenon          3                       27.27                         60.00
    Choo Choo Coleman       10                      27.27                         27.27
    Roger Craig             10                      9.09                          33.33
    Gary Gentry             3                       9.09                          20.00
    Ron Hunt                9                       63.64                         70.00
    Al Jackson              10                      27.27                         40.00
    John Milner             1                       27.27                         27.27
    Joe Pignatano           10                      18.18                         20.00
    Nolan Ryan              6                       27.27                         50.00
    Ken Singleton           2                       9.09                          10.00
    Warren Spahn            7                       36.36                         36.36
    Ron Swoboda             7                       54.55                         70.00
    Marv Throneberry        10                      27.27                         30.00

Holdovers dropped:

none
    Richie Ashburn
    1.64%
    Lute Barnes
    0.00%
    Jim Beauchamp
    0.00%
    Yogi Berra
    3.28%
    Ed Charles
    6.56%
    Donn Clendenon
    6.56%
    Choo Choo Coleman
    3.28%
    Roger Craig
    3.28%
    Jim Fregosi
    0.00%
    Gary Gentry
    1.64%
    Ron Hunt
    11.48%
    Al Jackson
    4.92%
    Willie Mays
    8.20%
    John Milner
    3.28%
    Tommy Moore
    0.00%
    Joe Nolan
    0.00%
    Joe Pignatano
    3.28%
    Bob Rauch
    0.00%
    Nolan Ryan
    4.92%
    Dave Schneck
    1.64%
    Ken Singleton
    1.64%
    Rusty Staub
    19.67%
    Brent Strom
    0.00%
    Bill Sudakis
    0.00%
    Ron Swoboda
    9.84%
    Chuck Taylor
    0.00%
    Marv Throneberry
    4.92%
    Hank Webb
    0.00%
    None of the above
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Cowtipper; 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM.

Staub gets my vote. He packed more quality into 3+ years as a starter than anyone to date and topped it off 5 years as a pinch hitter deluxe and was a key contributor to the 1973 team.

Comment

Dave Schneck has a vote. Are you serious??

Comment

He is right below Ryan (a guy you can make a case for, though whom I'm not in favor of putting in). Maybe someone clicked the wrong button?
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Can't view the votes, so I'll post mine since I voted for Mays who is definitly a controversial choice.

Mays
          Staub
          Throneberry

Comment

I ALMOST voted for Mays. Couldn't bring myself to do it, ultimately, but voted for Staub and Hunt.
            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
            -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I was a little boy when Mays arrived. The impact on our parents was big, but I suppose difficult to explain. It truely married the Mets to our National League past. There was no question at the time that Mays was a Met and had in fact 'come home'. I don't know that this can be said of any other former NY NL player. Hence, my vote for him as a Met HOF'er.

Comment

I voted for Schneck. I always vote for the guys that really deserve it like Hunt or Staub here...

But let's face it: this isn't Cooperstown. I consider the definition of a Mets Hall of Famer to be a bit different that that of an actual Hall of Famer. One of my big criteria is: is there something essentially "Mets" about the guy? I can't really put my finger on it, but somehow Schneck fits the bill. Maybe it's the name (brings to mind Shlabotnik), or his great beginning that soon faded, but somehow Schneck seems an archetype of many of the Mets' young players of that era - at least the ones they didn't trade away for Peanuts (Joe Shlabotnik pun intended). In addition, I felt like showing some love to a guy whose promise was likely derailed by injuries and service in Vietnam. If it makes anyone feel better, he isn't going to win anyway.

I also have a tendency to vote for guys I've met and like.

If we limit the Mets Hall of Fame to actual good players that excelled in a Mets uniform, it's going to be a pretty lonely place.

If there are posted criteria for voting other than this, let me know.

Although I'd probably disagree with them.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Staub and Ryan

Comment

Hunt, Jackson, Mays, Milner, Ryan, Staub, Swoboda.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

About one day left to vote.

Comment

Welcome Rusty Staub.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X