Citi Field...a launching pad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citi Field...a launching pad???

I just heard John Heyman on the MLB Network. He was saying that some of the Mets actually took bp in new Citi Field (David Wright was one of them) and the balls were flying out.

I love offense, but this doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about our staff. Johan as great as he is the one knock is the long ball. If thats the case with Citi Field does Lowe become a big priority?

Actually, according to Rob Neyer, the place will be EXTREMELY pitcher-friendly. As in, moreso than Shea.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
      Actually, according to Rob Neyer, the place will be EXTREMELY pitcher-friendly. As in, moreso than Shea.
      Call me silly, but who is Rob Neyer JW ?
      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

I dont think Rob Neyer took bp.

Comment

One good BP session doesn't make it a hitters park. It could have been very windy and/or warm that day which would have made the balls fly longer.

I'll trust Neyer's calculations over one BP session.
          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

"Call me silly, but who is Rob Neyer JW ?"

Probably the only ESPN writer aside from Gammons worth a darn. Very much into Sabermetrics, very much interested in park factors, so you can bet he'd be looking as hard into this as possible.

"I dont think Rob Neyer took bp."

No, but you can't say the place is a launching pad based on ONE DAY's worth of BP; it's too small a sample size AND it's stuff not even being thrown by a pitcher trying to get the hitters out. For all Heyman knows, they could even have been using non-regulations bats or balls (and don't think that doesn't happen in BP...remember when Sammy Sosa took batting practice with juiced baseballs and when Manny Ramirez took BP with a corked bat?).
            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

"Call me silly, but who is Rob Neyer JW ?"

Probably the only ESPN writer aside from Gammons worth a darn. Very much into Sabermetrics, very much interested in park factors, so you can bet he'd be looking as hard into this as possible.

"I dont think Rob Neyer took bp."

No, but you can't say the place is a launching pad based on ONE DAY's worth of BP; it's too small a sample size AND it's stuff not even being thrown by a pitcher trying to get the hitters out. For all Heyman knows, they could even have been using non-regulations bats or balls (and don't think that doesn't happen in BP...remember when Sammy Sosa took batting practice with juiced baseballs and when Manny Ramirez took BP with a corked bat?).
              First of all I didnt call it a launching pad...that is what Heyman said that the Mets that took BP there said. When you see these symbols ????? at the end of a sentence...that makes it a question not a statement. I also heard it was going to be a pitchers park, much to my displeasure, so I was surprised to hear that also.

On another note....maybe you should ask Neyer this, but corking your bat does not make the ball go further...pretty simple physics. It was done at the turn of the century to make the logs they were swinging lighter by drilling out the top and filling it with lighter cork. What you gain in bat speed you lose in mass, and solid mass at that. Just an FYI. The whole cork thing is a crap. Oh I heard that from Robert Adair....so I buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                One good BP session doesn't make it a hitters park. It could have been very windy and/or warm that day which would have made the balls fly longer.

I'll trust Neyer's calculations over one BP session.
                Despite the dimensions maybe with the grandstands blocking most of the winds that Shea had let in makes the ball carry more than Shea.

If the ball was carrying because its warm and windy.......that pretty much describes June through September........doesnt it?

Comment

Probably not a launching pad...

Citi Field: Where Homeruns Go To Die
                  http://www.amazinavenue.com/2009/1/7...where-homeruns

Comment

"First of all I didnt call it a launching pad...that is what Heyman said that the Mets that took BP there said. When you see these symbols ????? at the end of a sentence...that makes it a question not a statement. I also heard it was going to be a pitchers park, much to my displeasure, so I was surprised to hear that also."

There's no need to be condescending. I'm not treating you like an idiot. I do expect to be treated the way I'm treating you. However, you have insinuated that it was a hitter's park in every one of your posts...so take that for what it's worth.

"On another note....maybe you should ask Neyer this, but corking your bat does not make the ball go further...pretty simple physics. It was done at the turn of the century to make the logs they were swinging lighter by drilling out the top and filling it with lighter cork. What you gain in bat speed you lose in mass, and solid mass at that. Just an FYI. The whole cork thing is a crap. Oh I heard that from Robert Adair....so I buy it."

I knew all this, but you're evidently too stuck up and condescending to care. I actually never said it did anything other than break regulations. A corked bat generally gives a placebo effect, however (see "Cash, Norm" and "Otis, Amos"...in fact, Mr. Adair acknowledged that), and also tends to lighten the bat. While no, a lighter bat IN THIS CASE would not make the ball go further, it would certainly take longer to tire the hitter out during BP...
                    Last edited by Dalkowski110; 01-09-2009, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      Despite the dimensions maybe with the grandstands blocking most of the winds that Shea had let in makes the ball carry more than Shea.

If the ball was carrying because its warm and windy.......that pretty much describes June through September........doesnt it?
                      Not every day is warm and windy.

As mentioned, it's BP. They're hitting fastballs that are barely touching 80mph on the gun. They may not be using regulation bats or balls either.

One BP session does not make Citi Field a hitter's park.
                      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

"First of all I didnt call it a launching pad...that is what Heyman said that the Mets that took BP there said. When you see these symbols ????? at the end of a sentence...that makes it a question not a statement. I also heard it was going to be a pitchers park, much to my displeasure, so I was surprised to hear that also."

There's no need to be condescending. I'm not treating you like an idiot. I do expect to be treated the way I'm treating you. However, you have insinuated that it was a hitter's park in every one of your posts...so take that for what it's worth.

"On another note....maybe you should ask Neyer this, but corking your bat does not make the ball go further...pretty simple physics. It was done at the turn of the century to make the logs they were swinging lighter by drilling out the top and filling it with lighter cork. What you gain in bat speed you lose in mass, and solid mass at that. Just an FYI. The whole cork thing is a crap. Oh I heard that from Robert Adair....so I buy it."

I knew all this, but you're evidently too stuck up and condescending to care. I actually never said it did anything other than break regulations. A corked bat generally gives a placebo effect, however (see "Cash, Norm" and "Otis, Amos"...in fact, Mr. Adair acknowledged that), and also tends to lighten the bat. While no, a lighter bat IN THIS CASE would not make the ball go further, it would certainly take longer to tire the hitter out during BP...
                        I wasnt being condescending....just being sarcastic.

I think I made one post that ever said it was possibly a hitter park and that was this thread when I just relaying what Heyman said.

My point was, because I thought it was going to be a pitchers park also, that the Met pitchers may be in for a shock.

Personally I rather see more of a hitters park. In my opinion the Mets have never had an MVP because of the stadium they played in. Put Straw in a more hitter friendly park and walks away with it in 88. Wright may also have one already too.

As I said earlier...despite the dimension the grandstands may have something to do with the ball carrying. I guess we will see.

Comment

"just being sarcastic."

In that case, can you use emoticons in the future? It's difficult to tell whether someone is genuinely angry or not without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                            Personally I rather see more of a hitters park. In my opinion the Mets have never had an MVP because of the stadium they played in. Put Straw in a more hitter friendly park and walks away with it in 88. Wright may also have one already too.
                            The Mets have never had an MVP because in their entire history, you can count on one hand the number of great offensive seasons from their position players. Two of which were 2006 (Beltran) and 2007 (Wright).

Comment

"just being sarcastic."

In that case, can you use emoticons in the future? It's difficult to tell whether someone is genuinely angry or not without them.
                              will do.

I dont get angry on here....I think that would be kind of silly.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X