1962 New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 New York Mets

hello to everyone. i was wondering does anyone out there have a favorite 1962 new york met or a favorite moment from that 1st season, would like to hear from you take care everyone. LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS donald detroit mi
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

I wasn't around then, but my favorite moment has to be when they got stuck in an elevator a day before their first game.

Comment

Anything Casey Stengel said or did.
      "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

~Mickey Mantle

Comment

We went to several games at the Polo Grounds in 1962, mostly to see OUR former Players, who were now Mets.

The one game that stands out in my mind was the Old Timers Day Game. It was around mid-July, I don't remember the exact date. The Polo Grounds was PACKED, I don't think you could have fit an ant into the place. Here were the METS, losing almost every game they played, but you should have heard the crowd, you couldn't hear yourself think! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZIN'!

The NY fans were so hungry for NL Baseball again that even the METS, as bad as they were, made everyone stand up and cheer, NY style!

c.

Comment

Throneberry failing to touch first and second base on his way to a "triple."

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
            We went to several games at the Polo Grounds in 1962, mostly to see OUR former Players, who were now Mets.

The one game that stands out in my mind was the Old Timers Day Game. It was around mid-July, I don't remember the exact date. The Polo Grounds was PACKED, I don't think you could have fit an ant into the place. Here were the METS, losing almost every game they played, but you should have heard the crowd, you couldn't hear yourself think! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZIN'!

The NY fans were so hungry for NL Baseball again that even the METS, as bad as they were, made everyone stand up and cheer, NY style!

c.
            Information, please. Despite my age, there are still many gaps in my education, so perhaps Deb will be kind enough to fill in this one. In 1962, the Mets' inaugural season, who played in their Old-Timers' Game? Or are you referring to the 1962 Mets themselves?

Seriously.
            pb::

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay
              Information, please. Despite my age, there are still many gaps in my education, so perhaps Deb will be kind enough to fill in this one. In 1962, the Mets' inaugural season, who played in their Old-Timers' Game? Or are you referring to the 1962 Mets themselves?

Seriously.
              I probably could have been, jaykay, but I wasn"t.

That 1962 Old Timers Day event was a combination of retired BROOKLYN DODGERS and New York Giants, in addition to those who were actually playing for the METS at that time.

c.

Comment

1962 mets oldtimers day

hello to everyone the date of the 1st mets oldtimers game was JULY 14 1962 it was a rematch of the 1951 dodgers vs 1951 giants playoff series. IT was held before the regular season dodgers vs mets game and it was only 2 innings long. BY THE WAY in the regular season game the LA DODGERS won big 17-3 over the NY METS take care everyone DONALD DETROIT MI

Comment

6-17-1962 game 1 DH throneberry

Originally posted by donzblock
                  Throneberry failing to touch first and second base on his way to a "triple."
                  THAT cost the mets the game as they fell short in the game losing to the cubs 8-7, LOU BROCK HIT his famous bleacher homerun shot in the game the 1st into the rightfield bleachers also donald detroit mi

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                    hello to everyone the date of the 1st mets oldtimers game was JULY 14 1962 it was a rematch of the 1951 dodgers vs 1951 giants playoff series. IT was held before the regular season dodgers vs mets game and it was only 2 innings long. BY THE WAY in the regular season game the LA DODGERS won big 17-3 over the NY METS take care everyone DONALD DETROIT MI

Thanks for putting the date on the game, PG57!

c.

Comment

1962 New York Mets

HELLO to everyone. I was only 1 year old when the mets played there 1st season at the polo grounds. but over the years i have collected a huge collection of 1960,s mets games on audio. I still enjoy listening to them even today. SO i have my favorite 1962 mets players and moments that i would like to share with you all. MY favorite 1962 mets are marv throneberry and GIL HODGES. AND my favorite games that i enjoy listening over again are the LA DODGERS AND SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 1ST games back to new york since 1957.ON may 30 1962 THE LA DODGERS came back to NEW YORK for a holiday doubleheader with the mets at the polo grounds in front of a packed crowd of 55,704 WHICH was the largest baseball crowd at the polo grounds since 1942.the dodgers won the 1st game 13-6 with MAURY WILLS hitting 2 homeruns from both sides of the plate including a inside the park homerun, and other homeruns from RON FAIRLY WILLIE DAVIS and the mets GIL HODGES ALSO hit a homerun in the losing cause. WINNING PITCHER WAS sandy koufax and the losing pitcher for the mets was JAY HOOK. IN GAME 2 OF THE DH the dodgers won a close game by the score of 6-5. WITH HOMERUNS hit by RON FAIRLY AGAIN, FRANK HOWARD and willie davis again. GIL HODGES HIT 2 HOMERUNS FOR THE METS FOR A TOTAL OF 3 in the doubleheader and jim hickman also hitting a homerun for the mets. WINNING PITCHER FOR THE DODGERS WAS JOHNNY PODRES AND THE LOSING PITCHER FOR THE METS WAS BOB MILLER. the mets also had there a triple play in the 6th inning. ON JUNE 1 1962 the SF GIANTS returned to the polo grounds for the 1st time since they left in 1957, in front of a crowd of 43,742. WILLIE McCOVEY hit 2 homeruns in his 1st 2 at bats at the polo grounds and willie mays hit a HR in his first game back to the PG. ALSO jim davenport hits a GRANSLAM in the 7th inning.THE METS HOT ROD KANEHL hit his first ever ML HOMERUN in the losing cause. WINNNG pitcher for SF is BILLY PIERCE and the losing pitcher was ROGER CRAIG. THESE games i enjoy listening to over again the crowd at the PG was very vocal.ALSO LA DODGERS RON FAIRLY HIT 5 HOMERUNS AT THE polo grounds that year and WILLIE DAVIS HIT 6 homeruns at the polo grounds that year, MAURY WILLS ALSO hit 4 HR runs at the PG that year. THE POLO GROUNDS lead all NATIONAL LEAGUE PARKS in homeruns with 213 homeruns hit there in 1962. I listen to about 2 to 3 games a week and i also enjoy having a cold RHEINGOLD BEER while listening to the games. TAKE CARE EVERYONE donald detroit mi

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                        I attended that horror show. Frank Howard did colossal damage in that 17-3 game. In the Oldtimers' game, Branca made Bobby Thomson skip and then retired him on a short fly to center. Snider caught it and pretended to be overjoyed. The only thing missing was a sign stealer in the scoreboard.

Comment

1962 new york mets audios games

HELLO to everyone. just wanted to talk to you about the baseball games on audio tape that alot of you people out there enjoy listening to.MANY of you may not know who is the person that taped these games years ago. HIS name was PAT RISPOLE and he lived in the SCHENECTADY NEW YORK area. HE started taping brooklyn dodger and new york yankee games in 1957. after the dodgers left town he continued to tape the yankee games on reel to reel. IN 1962 he started to tape THE NEW YORK METS GAMES. and in 1969 he was able to tape some montreal expos games on reel to reel. THE METS GAMES were taped off of WGY-810 AM SCHENECTADY NEW YORK. and they had commercials of rheingold beer and kool and viceroy cigarettes. THE DODGER GAMES had schaefer beer commercials and the new york yankees had BALLANTINE BEER MR RISPOLE continued to tape baseball games on reel to reel tape until his death in 1979. SO if any of you out there got any audios out of the BASEBALL DIGEST THE OLD DANRICK ENTERPRISES or the miley collection these games are from MR PAT RISPOLE. so we have mr rispole to thank for having all of these games to listen to. LETS HOPE that these games are .preserved so that future generations can listen to brooklyn dodgers games from ebbets field the NY METS from the polo grounds and shea stadium and all of the old stadiums that are no longer around REST IN PEACE MR RISPOLE AND THANK YOU FOR SAVING AND PRESERVING THESE CLASSIC GAMES ON AUDIO take care everyone DONALD DETROIT MI LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964.

Comment

9-23-1962 mets 2 cubs 1

HELLO on 9-23-1962 the NEW YORK METS closed out there home portion of the 1962 baseball season at the polo grounds by beating THE CHICAGO CUBS by the score of 2-1. IN the game 17 year old ED KRANEPOOL got his 1st major league hit a double down the left field line in the 8th inning. CHICAGO scored first in the 1st inning by leading 1-0. the mets tied the game in the 6th on FRANK THOMAS HITTING his 33rd homerun of the year.AND the mets won the game in the 9th by frank thomas hitting a single to score CHOO CHOO COLEMAN from 3rd base.CRAIG WAS THE WINNING pitcher 10-23 and BREWER WAS THE LOSING PITCHER 0-1. the attendance for what everyone thought would be the last mets game at the polo grounds was 10,304. final attendance for the year at the polo grounds was 922,530. take care everyone DONALD DETROIT MI

Comment

1962 mets

Here are the 1962 mets at spring training with casey stengel and the gang.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X