1962 New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First home game

Here is a photo from the mets first home game on 4-13-1962 taken during the national anthem
    Attached Files
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

1962 first pitch at polo grounds

Here is the first pitch in the mets first home game at the polo grounds in 1962.
      Attached Files

Comment

1962 marv throneberry

Here is marv throneberry at the polo grounds in 1962.
        Attached Files

Comment

1962 richie ashburn

Here is richie ashburn with the 1962 new york mets at the polo grounds.
          Attached Files

Comment

1962 felix mantilla

Here is felix mantilla at the polo grounds in 1962.
            Attached Files

Comment

1962 al jackson

Here is al jackson at the polo grounds in 1962
              Attached Files

Comment

1962 chris cannizzaro

Here is mets catcher chris cannizzaro at the polo grounds in 1962
                Attached Files

Comment

1962 polo grounds

Here is a postcard of the polo grounds from 1962.
                  Attached Files

Comment

As always, great stuff Donald!
                    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

my favorite 1962 met- ed kranepool, i know he wasn't on the opening day team.
                      my favorite moment of the year was the first met game i went to, i don't remember the date. the mets were playing the phillies and we had seats right behind the mets dugout. the game went back and forth and ended with the score, i think, 13 to 12, mets loss. near the end of the game casey was walking back from the mound, looked up to the sky held his hands up and shook his head like there was no hope. after the game we listened to the post game show hosted by howard cosell. this was my first memory of him. he started off the show by saying this was the worst exhibition of baseball he had ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                        hello to everyone. i was wondering does anyone out there have a favorite 1962 new york met or a favorite moment from that 1st season, would like to hear from you take care everyone. LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS donald detroit mi
                        I fully realize that this answer isn't exactly within your designated framework, but in the SECOND season I remember a great moment (as a kid just out of high school I was covering the Mets for a Queens weekly and sitting in the press box)--Roger Craig had lost umpteen games in a row, and changed his number to 13 and carried rabbits' feet to change his luck. He was losing to the Cubs in the ninth when, with 2 out and the bases loaded, all runners moving on the pitch, Jim Hickman hit a game winning grand slam. Craig came out and took a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                          I probably could have been, jaykay, but I wasn"t.

That 1962 Old Timers Day event was a combination of retired BROOKLYN DODGERS and New York Giants, in addition to those who were actually playing for the METS at that time.

c.
                          I recently came across a fun book, "Tales from (of?) the 62 Mets"; it was published a couple of years ago. It was very, very tough, on one level, for a former Dodger fan--used to at least some level of success--to put up with the equivalent of the 1956 Pittsburgh Pirates, but on another level, it was pure heaven; my four years of wandering in the baseball desert--listening to Les Keiter recreate games, watching piped in Phillies games, and watching the Yankees--had ended.

Comment

HELLO to everyone. I was only 1 year old when the mets played there 1st season at the polo grounds. but over the years i have collected a huge collection of 1960,s mets games on audio. I still enjoy listening to them even today. SO i have my favorite 1962 mets players and moments that i would like to share with you all. MY favorite 1962 mets are marv throneberry and GIL HODGES. AND my favorite games that i enjoy listening over again are the LA DODGERS AND SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 1ST games back to new york since 1957.ON may 30 1962 THE LA DODGERS came back to NEW YORK for a holiday doubleheader with the mets at the polo grounds in front of a packed crowd of 55,704 WHICH was the largest baseball crowd at the polo grounds since 1942.the dodgers won the 1st game 13-6 with MAURY WILLS hitting 2 homeruns from both sides of the plate including a inside the park homerun, and other homeruns from RON FAIRLY WILLIE DAVIS and the mets GIL HODGES ALSO hit a homerun in the losing cause. WINNING PITCHER WAS sandy koufax and the losing pitcher for the mets was JAY HOOK. IN GAME 2 OF THE DH the dodgers won a close game by the score of 6-5. WITH HOMERUNS hit by RON FAIRLY AGAIN, FRANK HOWARD and willie davis again. GIL HODGES HIT 2 HOMERUNS FOR THE METS FOR A TOTAL OF 3 in the doubleheader and jim hickman also hitting a homerun for the mets. WINNING PITCHER FOR THE DODGERS WAS JOHNNY PODRES AND THE LOSING PITCHER FOR THE METS WAS BOB MILLER. the mets also had there a triple play in the 6th inning. ON JUNE 1 1962 the SF GIANTS returned to the polo grounds for the 1st time since they left in 1957, in front of a crowd of 43,742. WILLIE McCOVEY hit 2 homeruns in his 1st 2 at bats at the polo grounds and willie mays hit a HR in his first game back to the PG. ALSO jim davenport hits a GRANSLAM in the 7th inning.THE METS HOT ROD KANEHL hit his first ever ML HOMERUN in the losing cause. WINNNG pitcher for SF is BILLY PIERCE and the losing pitcher was ROGER CRAIG. THESE games i enjoy listening to over again the crowd at the PG was very vocal.ALSO LA DODGERS RON FAIRLY HIT 5 HOMERUNS AT THE polo grounds that year and WILLIE DAVIS HIT 6 homeruns at the polo grounds that year, MAURY WILLS ALSO hit 4 HR runs at the PG that year. THE POLO GROUNDS lead all NATIONAL LEAGUE PARKS in homeruns with 213 homeruns hit there in 1962. I listen to about 2 to 3 games a week and i also enjoy having a cold RHEINGOLD BEER while listening to the games. TAKE CARE EVERYONE donald detroit mi
                            FYI, a great place to get old tapes, particularly of NY related games, is the Miley Collection, run by John Miley, out of some place in Indiana. I don't have the phone number handy, but he may have a web site or if you need it I could track down the number (I recently bought from him a tape of the 69 Mets-Cubs game where Hands knocks down Agee in the first, and Koosman then hits Santo in the elbow the next inning).

Comment

HELLO to everyone. just wanted to talk to you about the baseball games on audio tape that alot of you people out there enjoy listening to.MANY of you may not know who is the person that taped these games years ago. HIS name was PAT RISPOLE and he lived in the SCHENECTADY NEW YORK area. HE started taping brooklyn dodger and new york yankee games in 1957. after the dodgers left town he continued to tape the yankee games on reel to reel. IN 1962 he started to tape THE NEW YORK METS GAMES. and in 1969 he was able to tape some montreal expos games on reel to reel. THE METS GAMES were taped off of WGY-810 AM SCHENECTADY NEW YORK. and they had commercials of rheingold beer and kool and viceroy cigarettes. THE DODGER GAMES had schaefer beer commercials and the new york yankees had BALLANTINE BEER MR RISPOLE continued to tape baseball games on reel to reel tape until his death in 1979. SO if any of you out there got any audios out of the BASEBALL DIGEST THE OLD DANRICK ENTERPRISES or the miley collection these games are from MR PAT RISPOLE. so we have mr rispole to thank for having all of these games to listen to. LETS HOPE that these games are .preserved so that future generations can listen to brooklyn dodgers games from ebbets field the NY METS from the polo grounds and shea stadium and all of the old stadiums that are no longer around REST IN PEACE MR RISPOLE AND THANK YOU FOR SAVING AND PRESERVING THESE CLASSIC GAMES ON AUDIO take care everyone DONALD DETROIT MI LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964.
                              So that's why there are all these upstate NY ads on those tapes; I also have some with Saratoga area ads orare on an Albany station.

Comment

1962 & 1963 mets audios

Originally posted by Lprof
                                So that's why there are all these upstate NY ads on those tapes; I also have some with Saratoga area ads orare on an Albany station.
                                I have alot of 1962 and 1963 mets games from the polo grounds from mr miley. i try to listen to them once a year.Mr miley of the miley collection by the way changed his email address. if anyone would like his new email addres contact me. Donald detroit mi

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X