Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milladrive
    replied
    I think we'd be remiss if we didn't acknowledge today as the 50th anniversary of the Mets' first win. It gave them a 1-9 record. And ironically, it was against the Giants, who went to 10-1.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Rigatoni

• Joe Rigatoni
    replied
    Originally posted by jimm View Post
    Was it '62 when the Giants - Mets went like 20 innings?
    No,It was 1964 when the Giants beat the Mets 8-6 in 23 innings in the second game of a doubleheader at Shea.
    Infact,when this game was going on John Daly was hosting What's My Line and said "Backstage I was watching
    this incredible baseball game that's going on now" and inadvertently got some of his audience to change the channel
    from What's My Line to the Giants-Mets game.

Leave a comment:

• jimm
    orange and black

• jimm
    replied
    Was it '62 when the Giants - Mets went like 20 innings?

Leave a comment:

• redban

• redban
    replied
    I've been reading about this team recently, and I'm fascinated by Frank Thomas' season.

They were possibly the worst team in MLB history, with a record 120 losses, yet he does so well.

34 homeruns and 94 RBI. That must have been cool for him, to be the lone shining star in a dreadful season.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    Ya gotta believe

• Blue387
    replied
    Daily News article on the '62 Mets:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false

Leave a comment:

• apbaball

• apbaball
    replied
    Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    Hello all. i have posted here in the past about the 1962 and 1963 new york mets games at the polo grounds that i have on audio tape. i will post here my list of games from the polo grounds from the 1962 season that i have.

4-14-1962 PITTSBURGH at NY METS
    4-29-1962 PHILADELPHIA at NY METS GM 1 DH
    5-11-1962 MILWAUKEE at NY METS
    5-13-1962 MILWAUKEE at NY METS
    5-30-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS GM 1 DH
    5-30-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS GM 2 DH
    6-1-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
    6-3-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
    6-15-1962 CHICAGO CUBS at NY METS
    6-17-1962 CHICAGO CUBS at NY METS GM 1 DH
    7-8-1962 ST LOUIS at NY METS
    7-13-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS
    7-15-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS GM 1 DH
    7-15-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS GM 2 DH
    7-16-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
    8-2-1962 PHILADELPHIA at NY METS
    8-4-1962 CINCINNATI at NY METS GM 1 DH
    8-22-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
    8-25-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS
    8-26-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS
    9-18-1962 HOUSTON at NY METS GM 1 DH
    9-23-1962 CHICAGO at NY METS

I will also list my 1963 mets games from the polo grounds on audio.
    i do have some road games on audio also.

there are some games that do exsist that i do have yet.
    These five are NOT available at Danrick Enterprises or from John Miley

6-3-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
    7-15-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS GM 2 DH
    7-16-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
    8-22-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
    8-26-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS
    apbaball
    Last edited by apbaball; 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    I simply can't resist posting that today was the 50th anniversary of the Mets' first official ballgame.

Leave a comment:

• apbaball

• apbaball
    replied
    He listed the two vendors that sell old radio broadcasts in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• davidtre

• davidtre
    replied
    Have you posted any audio Polo Grounds games on net

Hello all. i have posted here in the past about the 1962 and 1963 new york mets games at the polo grounds that i have on audio tape. i will post here my list of games from the polo grounds from the 1962 season that i have.
    Seeking first LA Met doubleheader May 30 1962.
    How can I obtain it?

Leave a comment:

• TIGER STADIUM 1912

• TIGER STADIUM 1912
    replied
    Rheingold beer which was the sponsor on the NEW YORK METS when they played at the POLO GROUNDS in 1962 and 1963 is being sold nationwide including here in MICHIGAN

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
    Um, not all of us.

Issue 24.
    lol, that really doesn't say much, MSU. You don't like Mays because the Mets won't issue his number? Well, if it means anything, I'm okay with issuing the number. Then again, I'm okay with issuing ANY number. I think anyone should be able to wear whatever number they wish, regardless of whomever wore it previously. Let's say you and me write the Rays' front office and tell them our thoughts of how silly it is to not allow a Ray to wear #12. Then we can turn our attentions to the other extreme and let MLB know how we think players should be allowed to honor Jackie Rob by wearing #42. ...Ya know what, I'll save the rest of this rant regarding the institution of number preservation for another time.

The point was -- and I think still is -- Mays was still quite beloved in New York when the Mets played home games against the Gints in '62 and '63. He was also still a fan favorite when he came to the Mets and said goodbye to his playing days. As I mentioned, the Paysons thought so high of him that the Mets had an annual Willie Mays promotional night for well over a decade after the Mets' expansion.

Merely take a look at the faces on those fans in the picture. That's what I'm talkin' about. If anyone here thinks Mike Piazza got a warm welcome from Met fans upon his return with another team, that warm welcome doesn't even carry a spotlight compared to the cheers Mays got in '62. ...and for the remainder of the subsequent decade.

Leave a comment:

• MSUlaxer27

• MSUlaxer27
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post

There's a reason why Willie Mays is still so beloved by Met fans.
    Um, not all of us.

Issue 24.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    One can only imagine -- unless of course, one was there -- the excitement of seeing Willie emerge from his old home field clubhouse when back in New York, espeically for those two years the Gints visited the Polo Grounds.

There's a reason why Willie Mays is still so beloved by Met fans. It naturally goes beyond those first six home series with his team -- each Mets season had a "Willie Mays Night" as a promo date until he retired as player, such fans of him were the Paysons. And let's face it, as great as the Duke was, he was no match for the Kid.

Leave a comment:

• TIGER STADIUM 1912

• TIGER STADIUM 1912
    replied
    6-1-1962

6-1-1962 Willie Mays AT POLO GROUNDS
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• metsfanbook

• metsfanbook
    replied
    Originally posted by link View Post
    My school was on split session and I was out at 12 noon. My buddy and I would hop on the subway at 179th street in Queens, zip into the city and ride up to the Polo Grounds. I was there at the 1st game on that dreary afternoon, watching them lose to Pitt 4-3. Sat in the upper deck down the right field line and had a real good view of Frank Thomas's HR. Seems like yesterday. I can't recall if it was 1962 or 63 when they had the first Banner Day, but...I was there with my friend marching around the warning track holding our banner. If I still had it I sure it would go for a good amount today on EBAY, but I probably wouldn't part with it. What I did save though was my stub from that first game. Great memories!
    Link, I was at the first Banner Day. It was the last weekend game at the Polo Grounds, September 15, 1963. I was celebrating my ninth birthday with my family. I remember everybody marching around with their banners between the games of the doubleheader (the Mets lost both). I envied all of those people down on the field, including, it seems, you.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X