• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Good

Where did you get those Pictures?
    "God is living in New York, and he's a Mets fan." Tom Seaver

Comment

"the polo grounds was not a dump."

By the time the Mets went there in 1962-1963, from what my Dad said, "a dump" was just about the only term to describe it. My Dad was using the Polo Grounds from 1950-1957 (when it was well-maintained and kept up) as a comparison, and when he walked back into the blueish-green-painted Polo Grounds in 1962, he literally said upon entering "What the hell did they do to the place?" It hadn't been kept up properly (sure, it was maintained from 1958-1961, but not properly) and suffered as a result. Had it been kept up, I'm sure it wouldn't have turned into a dump. But it wasn't, so it did. The Polo Grounds of the Mets was horrible. To say that Shea Stadium was not a real stadium compared to the '62-'63 era Polo Grounds is nothing short of a bad joke. To say that Shea was nothing compared to the Polo Grounds of the 1950's is a completely different story, but we're not talking about that. Blame poor maintenance that allowed the Polo Grounds to fall apart, not Shea Stadium.
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Polo Grounds

Originally posted by Dalkowski110
        "the polo grounds was not a dump."

By the time the Mets went there in 1962-1963, from what my Dad said, "a dump" was just about the only term to describe it. My Dad was using the Polo Grounds from 1950-1957 (when it was well-maintained and kept up) as a comparison, and when he walked back into the blueish-green-painted Polo Grounds in 1962, he literally said upon entering "What the hell did they do to the place?" It hadn't been kept up properly (sure, it was maintained from 1958-1961, but not properly) and suffered as a result. Had it been kept up, I'm sure it wouldn't have turned into a dump. But it wasn't, so it did. The Polo Grounds of the Mets was horrible. To say that Shea Stadium was not a real stadium compared to the '62-'63 era Polo Grounds is nothing short of a bad joke. To say that Shea was nothing compared to the Polo Grounds of the 1950's is a completely different story, but we're not talking about that. Blame poor maintenance that allowed the Polo Grounds to fall apart, not Shea Stadium.
        When the mets moved into the polo grounds they renovated the stadium in 1962. and the stadium was used after the giants left in 1957. remmber the new york titans of the AFL. They changed there name to the new york jets in 1963.
        Also the polo grounds was not a dump and it was not falling down. when the stadium was torn down in 1964 the demolition company said that there was nothing wrong with the stadium that it could have lasted along time.sorry to all of you shea stadium fans but i hate that ballpark with a passion. and i still say that i cant wait to see shea stadium come down. the mets have not had a real stadium to play in since the polo grounds. everyone has the right to there opinion and nobody will change my opinion.
        LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
          Alot of oldtimmers that i have talked to liked the polo grounds and thats including brooklyn dodger fans.and i have been told by people who went there that the polo grounds was not a dump. the mets moved into a dump in 1964. the mets have not had a real stadium since the Polo Grounds.

Shea Stadium is NOT a dump and it certainly wasn't in the 60's and 70's. Shea was always very similar in design to Dodger Stadium and deserves some respect. It has become vogue to call Shea a dump but I doubt many of those people have attended games there. Is it time for a new stadium? Yes, but it served the Mets well and just because it is representative of the cookie cutter era doesn't mean it is terrible.
          sigpic

Comment

Polo Grounds

Originally posted by Shotgun Shuba
            Shea Stadium is NOT a dump and it certainly wasn't in the 60's and 70's. Shea was always very similar in design to Dodger Stadium and deserves some respect. It has become vogue to call Shea a dump but I doubt many of those people have attended games there. Is it time for a new stadium? Yes, but it served the Mets well and just because it is representative of the cookie cutter era doesn't mean it is terrible.
            Well Shotgun Shuba you have the right to your opinion.to me and alot of people shea stadium has always been a dump. they should never left the polo grounds.the mets have not had a real stadium since 1962 and 1963.if the new york yankees can still today play across the river at yankee stadium then the mets could still have been playing at a renovated polo grounds.and as far as the area around the polo grounds there would have been a ton of police around during game days.again look across the river at yankee stadium.

Comment

"and as far as the area around the polo grounds there would have been a ton of police around during game days"

I'll move over and defer to my father. My Dad was an ADA at the Manhattan District Attorney's Office for 29 years (he currently works as a consultant and is in his 30th year at the office). In those 29 years, he personally had FOUR murders in the Polo Grounds Projects (Albeit one was a triple homicide involving two guys, thus reducing your convicted murderer count in the IMMEDIATE AREA to three...) and about a dozen more within a half mile radius. Yeah, nice neighborhood...
              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Polo Grounds

"and as far as the area around the polo grounds there would have been a ton of police around during game days"

I'll move over and defer to my father. My Dad was an ADA at the Manhattan District Attorney's Office for 29 years (he currently works as a consultant and is in his 30th year at the office). In those 29 years, he personally had FOUR murders in the Polo Grounds Projects (Albeit one was a triple homicide involving two guys, thus reducing your convicted murderer count in the IMMEDIATE AREA to three...) and about a dozen more within a half mile radius. Yeah, nice neighborhood...
                You are talking about a apartment complex today not a ballpark. look at how bad the area around yankee stadium is. i was there in 1988. but when there is a game going on the city makes sure that there is police all around.this subjest about the polo grounds has been debated for a while. and i still say if the polo grounds was still there and improvements to the surrounding area things would be diffrent today. they could still play baseball at the polo grounds.and i also was at the polo grounds towers in 1988. look at the thread about whats on the property today of old stadiums. i took photos there at the polo grounds towers in 1988.

Comment

"You are talking about a apartment complex today not a ballpark."

So what? It's the SAME AREA.

"look at how bad the area around yankee stadium is."

Yes...and still nothing compared to the area around where the Polo Grounds stood...

"but when there is a game going on the city makes sure that there is police all around."

The 32nd Precinct (which covers the area around the former Polo Grounds) should honestly not have to commit inordinate amounts of its police officers just because of a baseball stadium, no matter how notalgiac. The 32nd Precinct covers an EXTREMELY high crime area. So what happens when a game's going on? Do we just protect the fans over everyone else? When people's lives start becoming an issue, I wouldn't care if it was the greatest ballpark ever made. Demolish it and get out of there. Baseball, while the greatest of games, is still JUST a game, and innocent citizens shouldn't have to be put at risk just to protect it.

"they could still play baseball at the polo grounds."

That dear sir is a ridiculous fairy tale. NOTHING should take priority over human life.

Comment

"You are talking about a apartment complex today not a ballpark."

So what? It's the SAME AREA.

"look at how bad the area around yankee stadium is."

Yes...and still nothing compared to the area around where the Polo Grounds stood...

"but when there is a game going on the city makes sure that there is police all around."

The 32nd Precinct (which covers the area around the former Polo Grounds) should honestly not have to commit inordinate amounts of its police officers just because of a baseball stadium, no matter how notalgiac. The 32nd Precinct covers an EXTREMELY high crime area. So what happens when a game's going on? Do we just protect the fans over everyone else? When people's lives start becoming an issue, I wouldn't care if it was the greatest ballpark ever made. Demolish it and get out of there. Baseball, while the greatest of games, is still JUST a game, and innocent citizens shouldn't have to be put at risk just to protect it.

"they could still play baseball at the polo grounds."

That dear sir is a ridiculous fairy tale. NOTHING should take priority over human life.
                    You sound like to me that you think that you are a know it all.things would be diffrent today if the polo grounds was still there and not a apartment complex. and if the polo grounds was still there the area around the stadium would have been improved. like i said i have been to the polo grounds towers in 1988 and was the only white man in that area at the time. i took my photos and got out of there. i never have also said that i know everything about the polo grounds but i do know alot. and i did help out with Mr Joshua Prager with his echoing green book. my name is in the back of his book for helping him. and i got the information about the condition of the polo grounds in 1964 from the demolition company. so i know what i am talking about when i say that the polo grounds was not falling down and was not a dump.

Comment

"You sound like to me that you think that you are a know it all."

I don't give a whit how I come across. I have friends in the 32nd Precinct. I don't give a darn if you know everything to know about the Polo Grounds.

"and if the polo grounds was still there the area around the stadium would have been improved. like i said i have been to the polo grounds towers in 1988 and was the only white man in that area at the time."

Crime knows no race. And I find that to be pretty discriminatory. Incidentally, it was in the 1950's that crime was taking off in the area. When Mapp vs. Ohio came down from the Supreme Court in 1961 and a crook knew he could carry a gun without being searched, the floodgates came open. But even before then, the neighborhood was turning bad.

"and i got the information about the condition of the polo grounds in 1964 from the demolition company."

From what it's worth, Donald, take your information from a city or state surveyor. I don't have access to the structural reports from said surveyor, but to trust a demolition company with structural integrity is never a good idea. I will extend this not only to the Polo Grounds, but to every man-made structure within recent memory. Unless you do actually believe the company demolishing what was left of the Oklahoma City Federal Building that had just been blown up by Timothy McVeigh was correct when it said the structure was "fundamentally sound" and "capable of standing upright."

Comment

Gil Hodges

Here is a great photo showing Gil Hodges rounding 1st base on his way to a inside the park homerun at the polo grounds in May of 1962.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Polo Grounds 1964

From what it's worth, Donald, take your information from a city or state surveyor. I don't have access to the structural reports from said surveyor, but to trust a demolition company with structural integrity is never a good idea. I will extend this not only to the Polo Grounds, but to every man-made structure within recent memory. Unless you do actually believe the company demolishing what was left of the Oklahoma City Federal Building that had just been blown up by Timothy McVeigh was correct when it said the structure was "fundamentally sound" and "capable of standing upright."
                          This will be the end of this period.there is a big diffrence in a demolition company coming in to tear down a half blown up building than a demolition company coming in to tear down a perfectly good building like how the polo grounds was.the demo companys know what they are doing.they go into every building and study it on how to take the building down.and they said back in 1964 that there was nothing wrong with the polo grounds. it was not falling down or a dump like shea stadium fans think.now i suggest people to go out and get Mr Joshua Pragers book called Echoing Green which i helped him with this book. and you can read for yourself the comments that the demolishion company said back in april of 1964.

Now Lets Get back on topic here.

Comment

1962 Autographs

Here is a page of facsmile autographs that the mets sent out to fans in 1962. see if you can find you favorite 1962 Met. on the other side of this page was the 1962 new york mets team photo.
                            Attached Files

Comment

1962 Stan Musial & Hornsby At Pg

Here is a nice photo of Roger Hornsby and Stan Musial before a mets cardinals game at the polo grounds in 1962.
                              Attached Files

Comment

April 1962

In this photo taken at the polo grounds before the mets left for St Louis for there 1st game ever at old sportsman park, you can see Don Zimmer, Roger Craig and the gang before a practice.you also see the workers putting the finishing touchs on the new scoreboard on the facing of the clubhouse building.and they still have to put up the batters back ground out in the centerfield bleachers.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X