Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shea Stadium

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    Well Shotgun Shuba you have the right to your opinion.to me and alot of people shea stadium has always been a dump. they should never left the polo grounds.the mets have not had a real stadium since 1962 and 1963.if the new york yankees can still today play across the river at yankee stadium then the mets could still have been playing at a renovated polo grounds.and as far as the area around the polo grounds there would have been a ton of police around during game days.again look across the river at yankee stadium.
    I would not call Shea Staduim a dump. However, it does suffer from the same malady of all stadiums that try to accomodate both baseball and football. The placement of the stands provides less than optimum viewability of the action compared to the seating arrangements in stadiums designed exclusively for either football or baseball. That is why the Jets moved from Shea Stadium to Giants Stadium. One may also notice that many of the stadiums built in the 60's and 70's to accomodate both football and baseball have been demolished in favor of separate stadiums for baseball and football teams. Stadiums that try to please both baseball and football fans end up pleasing neither.
    Barry G. Disbrow
    Last edited by Barry G. Disbrow; 06-17-2007, 09:40 PM. Reason: reinforce and clarify my posting

Comment

Originally posted by Barry G. Disbrow View Post
      I would not call Shea Staduim a dump. However, it does suffer from the same malady of all stadiums that try to accomodate both baseball and football. The placement of the stands provides less than optimum viewability of the action compared to the seating arrangements in stadiums designed exclusively for either football or baseball. That is why the Jets moved from Shea Stadium to Giants Stadium. One may also notice that many of the stadiums built in the 60's and 70's to accomodate both football and baseball have been demolished in favor of separate stadiums for baseball and football teams. Stadiums that try to please both baseball and football fans end up pleasing neither.
      Well i will say this i never liked shea stadium and cant wait to see it come down.it will make up for that April day in 1964 when the polo grounds was torn down.
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

In case anyone's wondering, Hodges and Neal are actually wearing Dodgers uniforms. Mantilla is wearing a Braves uniform. Jay Hook is portrayed in a Cincinnati Reds uniform. Neil Chrisley is with the Tigers. Al Jackson's '62 Topps card was late series, and portrays him with the Mets. Topps often took backup photos of every player without their caps on just in case they were traded.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Richie Ashburn

When Richie Ashburn decided to retire after the 1962 season the mets hitting suffered big time in the 1963 season.Ashburn just could not take another mets losing season.
          Attached Files

Comment

Al Jackson

Here is the 1962 topps card for the ace of the 1962 mets pitching staff Al Jackson.and you can see that the photo for the card was taken at the polo grounds.
            Attached Files

Comment

4-13-1962

Here is a great photo of the polo grounds taken on 4-13-1962 when the pittsburgh pirates played the mets in there first home game.
              Attached Files

Comment

1962 Mets Audios

Hello all. i have posted here in the past about the 1962 and 1963 new york mets games at the polo grounds that i have on audio tape. i will post here my list of games from the polo grounds from the 1962 season that i have.

4-14-1962 PITTSBURGH at NY METS
                4-29-1962 PHILADELPHIA at NY METS GM 1 DH
                5-11-1962 MILWAUKEE at NY METS
                5-13-1962 MILWAUKEE at NY METS
                5-30-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS GM 1 DH
                5-30-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS GM 2 DH
                6-1-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
                6-3-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
                6-15-1962 CHICAGO CUBS at NY METS
                6-17-1962 CHICAGO CUBS at NY METS GM 1 DH
                7-8-1962 ST LOUIS at NY METS
                7-13-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS
                7-15-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS GM 1 DH
                7-15-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS GM 2 DH
                7-16-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
                8-2-1962 PHILADELPHIA at NY METS
                8-4-1962 CINCINNATI at NY METS GM 1 DH
                8-22-1962 SF GIANTS at NY METS
                8-25-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS
                8-26-1962 LA DODGERS at NY METS
                9-18-1962 HOUSTON at NY METS GM 1 DH
                9-23-1962 CHICAGO at NY METS

I will also list my 1963 mets games from the polo grounds on audio.
                i do have some road games on audio also.

there are some games that do exsist that i do have yet.

Comment

Here is a letter that i picked up back in the 1980s. It came from the mets office at the polo grounds.
                  Attached Files

Comment

8-18-1962

Here is a photo from 8-18-1962 when the mets gave hall of famer Stan Musial at nite at the polo grounds with gifts before the game between the cardinals and mets.this game also excists today on audio but the miley collection only kept the pregame musial ceramony.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Casey Stengel

Here is a very happy young mets fan meeting Casey Stengel near the dugout at the polo grounds during the 1962 season.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• 7-14-1962

Here are some of the old timmers at the polo grounds on 7-14-1962.
                        Attached Files
                        POLO GROUNDS 1957
                        Last edited by POLO GROUNDS 1957; 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM. Reason: WRONG PHOTO

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry G. Disbrow View Post
                          I agree. It's unfair to call the Shea of the 60's and 70's a dump. I'm with the earlier poster whose Dad went to games at the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field in the 40's and 50's, then the PG in 1962-63, my Dad also thought the Polo Grounds of the Mets years was and old dump that needed to be replaced. He was happy to have a new stadium to go to in 1964.

Comment

• Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                            I agree. It's unfair to call the Shea of the 60's and 70's a dump. I'm with the earlier poster whose Dad went to games at the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field in the 40's and 50's, then the PG in 1962-63, my Dad also thought the Polo Grounds of the Mets years was and old dump that needed to be replaced. He was happy to have a new stadium to go to in 1964.
                            You like everyone has the right to a opinion, but the fact is that the mets have not played in a real ballpark since 1963 and the polo grounds which was not a dump like shea stadium. i do hope that someone here in this baseball forum posts a thread just for demolition photos of shea stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
                              You like everyone has the right to a opinion, but the fact is that the mets have not played in a real ballpark since 1963 and the polo grounds which was not a dump like shea stadium. i do hope that someone here in this baseball forum posts a thread just for demolition photos of shea stadium.
                              In one sentence you say everyone has a right to an opinion, then in the next you completely discount it by claiming "fact" that the Mets have not played in a real ballpark.

That is your opinion.

Many were happy to have a new ballpark in 1964 and grew up watching baseball at Shea. It was our home.

Now I'm not one of those who is going to miss it too much as it has become a bit worn over the years.

Looking forward to the Mets playing at a new park in a couple of years.

Comment

• By the way PG 1957 I love all the old photos and memorabilia you have from the oldtime parks. They definitely shouldn't be forgotten.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X