1962 New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
    In one sentence you say everyone has a right to an opinion, then in the next you completely discount it by claiming "fact" that the Mets have not played in a real ballpark.

That is your opinion.

Many were happy to have a new ballpark in 1964 and grew up watching baseball at Shea. It was our home.

Now I'm not one of those who is going to miss it too much as it has become a bit worn over the years.

Looking forward to the Mets playing at a new park in a couple of years.
    The fact is the mets have not played in a real ballpark since 1963.you can like shea stadium all you want but there are many people out here that hates the ballpark or dislikes the stadium. its a dump in 2007 and was one in 1964. i cant wait to those demolition photos of shea stadium.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

• Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
      The fact is the mets have not played in a real ballpark since 1963.you can like shea stadium all you want but there are many people out here that hates the ballpark or dislikes the stadium. its a dump in 2007 and was one in 1964. i cant wait to those demolition photos of shea stadium.
      You can keep cutting and pasting the same tired reply but it doesn't make it fact. Fact is many people have enjoyed Shea. Millions have attended games there, some have gone their to see their first major league game (Seaver vs. Marichal, 1968). People have memories of championships and favorite players. They're not going to take kindly to you calling the park of their youth a dump.

Like it or not, it was is a REAL park. Been major league games there every year since 1964.

Comment

• Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
        You can keep cutting and pasting the same tired reply but it doesn't make it fact. Fact is many people have enjoyed Shea. Millions have attended games there, some have gone their to see their first major league game (Seaver vs. Marichal, 1968). People have memories of championships and favorite players. They're not going to take kindly to you calling the park of their youth a dump.

Like it or not, it was is a REAL park. Been major league games there every year since 1964.
        SHEA STADIUM IS A DUMP like it or not and the fact is that there are alot of people on this forum that feels the same way i do. the mets have not played in a real park since 1964.this is starting to get way off of topic. you can like shea stadium and i will hate shea stadium.

Comment

• 1962 New York Titans

The New York Mets were not the only sports team to call the Polo Grounds home in 1962. the AFL New York Titans played at the Polo Grounds from 1960 until 1963. in 1963 the teams nickname was changed from titans to Jets.the jets played the last event at the polo grounds in december of 1963 with a game against the Buffalo Bills.
          Attached Files

Comment

SHEA STADIUM IS A DUMP like it or not and the fact is that there are alot of people on this forum that feels the same way i do. the mets have not played in a real park since 1964.this is starting to get way off of topic. you can like shea stadium and i will hate shea stadium.
            This is a Mets forum, so discussing the ballpark they play in isn't off topic. Tom Seaver played at Shea. Ron Swoboda made an amazing catch in the 69 Series at Shea. Agee made two. Seaver pitched his near perfect game at Shea. The Mets won two World Series IN that park. In 1973 coming down the stretch Cleon Jones played a ball that hit of the top corner of the fence, hit the cut-off man who threw it to Ron Hodges for the out. The Pete Rose, Bud Harrelson fight was at Shea. They clinched at Shea too. The Bill Buckner play was at Shea. Doc Gooden pitched there, Straw hit some blasts there. Mike Piazza slugged some big homers at Shea, especially that memorable one in the forst game after 9/11. The Mets have returned to the top of the standings this decade, still at Shea. Endy Chavez made one of the great catches in post season history, at Shea.

Yes it's been a ball park, our ball park. Warts and all, call it what you like, Big Shea, home of the Mets for 44 seasons now.

Comment

• 1962 New York Mets

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
              This is a Mets forum, so discussing the ballpark they play in isn't off topic. Tom Seaver played at Shea. Ron Swoboda made an amazing catch in the 69 Series at Shea. Agee made two. Seaver pitched his near perfect game at Shea. The Mets won two World Series IN that park. In 1973 coming down the stretch Cleon Jones played a ball that hit of the top corner of the fence, hit the cut-off man who threw it to Ron Hodges for the out. The Pete Rose, Bud Harrelson fight was at Shea. They clinched at Shea too. The Bill Buckner play was at Shea. Doc Gooden pitched there, Straw hit some blasts there. Mike Piazza slugged some big homers at Shea, especially that memorable one in the forst game after 9/11. The Mets have returned to the top of the standings this decade, still at Shea. Endy Chavez made one of the great catches in post season history, at Shea.

Yes it's been a ball park, our ball park. Warts and all, call it what you like, Big Shea, home of the Mets for 44 seasons now.
              I am going to say this one more time. THIS IS OFF TOPIC. this thread is about the 1962 new york mets and not DUMPY SHEA STADIUM. go talk about shea stadium elsewere in this mets forum. this thread is not about shea stadium. i will ignore you from now on about shea stadium. we will get back on topic with this thread.

Comment

I am going to say this one more time. THIS IS OFF TOPIC. this thread is about the 1962 new york mets and not DUMPY SHEA STADIUM. go talk about shea stadium elsewere in this mets forum. this thread is not about shea stadium. i will ignore you from now on about shea stadium. we will get back on topic with this thread.
                Ok whatever, you're the one who keeps bringing up Shea and calling it a dump. A little respect for the feelings of Mets fans on the Mets forum would be nice.

Comment

• Jay Hook

Here is a photo of mets pitcher Jay Hook taken at the Polo Grounds.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Polo Grounds

Here is a color photo showing the Polo Grounds and its parking lot on the stadiums 1st base side.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Polo Grounds

In this photo you are on 8th ave looking at the Polo Grounds and its parking lot.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Polo Grounds

In this photo you are looking at the polo grounds.the road next to the apartments on the right side of the photo is 157th street.and you can also see the 8th ave side of the Polo Grounds.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Great photos. Thanks!

Comment

• Lets all play nice here..

POLO GROUNDS has created this thread about the 1962 so lets please try to keep it on that topic..

If we want to discuss who like Shea and who doesn't lets just start another thread which is what I intend to do...

Thanks
                            "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                            ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Here is a photo from the mets first home game on 4-13-1962 taken during the national anthem
                              Thanks for bringing back a memory. My dad took me up to the Polo Grounds that day. I remember I got to skip school and it was a crumby, cloud and cold afternoon. The ballpark was a mess and stunk. I remember Bob Friend pitched for the Pirates and we lost. Naturally, I had a wonderful time.

Comment

• Polo Grounds

Originally posted by Bob Koenig View Post
                                Thanks for bringing back a memory. My dad took me up to the Polo Grounds that day. I remember I got to skip school and it was a crumby, cloud and cold afternoon. The ballpark was a mess and stunk. I remember Bob Friend pitched for the Pirates and we lost. Naturally, I had a wonderful time.
                                Glad to hear this.you have to remmber that this game was the first baseball game at the polo grounds since 1957. i have seen photos and the mets did spend alot of money on renovations at the stadium even since at that time they only planned to stay at the Polo Grounds for only 1 season.Thank god that we got another year at the PG in 1963

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X