Yahoo.com mocks the new Mets Citifield Uniform Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad still has the real one.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
      So do I.

On the patch thing...that is horrendous. How hard is it to make a good looking patch?

Comment

I hate the patch and will be boycotting all items that have that patch on it
        NL Wild Card
        1999 2000

NL East Division Champs
        1969 1973 1986 1988 2006

National League Champs
        1969 1973 1986 2000

World Champs
        1969 1986

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
          Here's a better question: It's a stupid patch; WHO CARE'S!!?!?!?!?!?
          I hear you this thing about this patch is getting so childish!!

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
            Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            So do I.

On the patch thing...that is horrendous. How hard is it to make a good looking patch?
            Heh, without trying to appear immodest, I have all four. The original '86, the original '86 with the printed UPC, the Revised '86, and the '06 reprint of the Revised '86.

At very least, it looks as if Citibank will survive the offseason. Was up in the air there for a while. Wonder how differently things would look all-around had they gone the way of some other banks.

Anyhow... it's just a stupid, meaningless, insignificant patch. Big deal.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
              Heh, without trying to appear immodest, I have all four. The original '86, the original '86 with the printed UPC, the Revised '86, and the '06 reprint of the Revised '86.

At very least, it looks as if Citibank will survive the offseason. Was up in the air there for a while. Wonder how differently things would look all-around had they gone the way of some other banks.

Anyhow... it's just a stupid, meaningless, insignificant patch. Big deal.
              Wilpon wanted the ugly Citi logo to be the patch, but got smacked down by MLB, which doesn't allow corporate logos on uniforms. His goal was having the Mets wear little league style sponsorship signs on the uniforms! All that stood in his way was MLB.

The Citi logo is still the team's logo for the season, so he's putting the closest facsimile allowable on the uniforms. It's ugly as hell and it's an embarrassment; the whole episode indicates Wilpon cares more about money than having his team look professional like the rest of MLB teams manage to.

A lot of people seem to find this distasteful. I'm not a fan of his stewardship of the team. A lot of people seem to think his insatiable appetite for money impedes the fan experience. Certainly an episode like this contributes to the second-rate aura that unfortunately hangs over the team.

I guess whether or not it's a big deal is a matter of opinion.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                ...the whole episode indicates Wilpon cares more about money than having his team look professional like the rest of MLB teams manage to. .... A lot of people seem to think his insatiable appetite for money impedes the fan experience. Certainly an episode like this contributes to the second-rate aura that unfortunately hangs over the team.
                Seems we've had that aura for 47 seasons, heh.

In all fairness, for $40M a year for 20 years of payroll fuel, I personally give very little weight to a temporary (most likely) insignia. I guess that's the primary reason I give little significance to it. :$:
                Last edited by milladrive; 01-16-2009, 12:53 AM.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

When the Yankees choke on their patch next year, you'll have an answer.
                  "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Because it's ugly. Does there really need another reason?

Comment

Originally posted by NinthWithoutNen View Post
                      Also because it's going to be on every jersey sold this year, in every store and shopping mall, in every sports boutique, and at every baseball game the Mets play in.

Comment

Originally posted by NinthWithoutNen View Post
                        Well I do agree that is a terrible design, and they could have done much better.

I'll be paying more attention to the players and their stats vice a patch on their sleeve.
                        Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Does it take a long time to put at least the silhouette of the new field on the patch. This current patch could be for anything. Generic and bland.

Comment

I just got the patch in mail today. I know it is ugly, and bland, but I collect these things. It is right up there with the ugliest patch ever. Hopefully after this year is over it will bring back happy memories. (WS?) I can dream can't I?
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                            unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                              I just got the patch in mail today. I know it is ugly, and bland, but I collect these things. It is right up there with the ugliest patch ever. Hopefully after this year is over it will bring back happy memories. (WS?) I can dream can't I?
                              So true, i like your positive attitude.

...if ESPN & Yahoo didn't announce the ugliness of the design, 2/3rds of us probably wouldn't even gripe about it. :silent:

Originally posted by d32123 View Post
                              Wow I feel bad for you Mets fans.
                              First, your team chokes two years in a row.
                              Then, they dump Shea to create a replica of the Dodgers old stadium and name it after a corporate sponsor.
                              Then, they honor their creation with a patch that I could make on Microsoft Paint!
                              The path of your new stadium has "issues" too.
                              sigpic
                              h!

Comment

Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                                Also because it's going to be on every jersey sold this year, in every store and shopping mall, in every sports boutique, and at every baseball game the Mets play in.
                                Thankfully, "that" patch won't be on merchaindise. This patch was created by the people at Citi.

The Mets have created a different patch, with the CitiField shiloutte on it, that will be on merchandise you can buy.

But frankly, the one that the Mets will be wearing on their uniforms, sucks.
                                Lets go Mets!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X