Mets lose out on Lowe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets lose out on Lowe.

The Braves got him today. The Braves gave him 4 years/60 million. They need to sign Perez now without a doubt. I would have liked to seen Lowe on the Mets and not take the Ollie Rollercoaster Ride every 5th day.

Here is the problem, Scott Boras knows that the Mets need to sign him, and he will make them pay a premium.

But who is going to bid against the Mets for him? No one else wants him.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Take a gamble and sign Sheets or Sheets and Wolf. Forget OP unless you want to go 4/45 or something ridiculous like that.

Comment

I know that this is a crazy idea, but why not offer a 2-year, 20-24 million dollar contract to Andy Pettite. He would give a proven veteran who wins for a short term contract and consistency that the Mets are looking for. Thoughts?

Comment

Forget it I'd rather take my chances with Sheets than with Pettitte. Yes he is injury prone, but wow what a talent. Perez is so darn inconsistent and Wolf is a step below those 2.
          We can all thank the desperate braves for over-inflating the SP market by giving Lowe an outrageous 4 guaranteed years at $15,000,000 per! Think about that, $15,000,000 for a #2 starter. Santana looks like a bargain now!
          unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
          unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
          unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Originally posted by dmbfan View Post
            I know that this is a crazy idea, but why not offer a 2-year, 20-24 million dollar contract to Andy Pettite. He would give a proven veteran who wins for a short term contract and consistency that the Mets are looking for. Thoughts?
            I don't think so. Pettitte wouldn't take $10M from the Yankees. He's not worth more than $12-13M and I wouldn't want him for 2 years.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
              But who is going to bid against the Mets for him? No one else wants him.
              Now that Lowe is off the market I think some more focus will be on Ollie.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbfan View Post
                Because the Mets dont have much depth at SP..unless you believe the hype..which I dont, losing Lowe was big. Big because he is consistant and will keep them in every game.

Sheets is too injury prone to invest 2 years 30 million

Perez - I still think he has a big upside but he needs to show up for ALL of his starts

Wolf - another injury prone aging guy that before 2009 made only 43 starts from 05-07.

Pettite - I dont mind signing him. He makes his starts and will keep the Mets in games. The NL is a bit easier than the AL. I think I would take a shot on a 2 year 20 million contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Now that Lowe is off the market I think some more focus will be on Ollie.
                  There was no interest for Lowe other than the Mets. The Braves weren't that interested until Smoltz signed with the Red Sox. The market for Perez is almost non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                    There was no interest for Lowe other than the Mets. The Braves weren't that interested until Smoltz signed with the Red Sox. The market for Perez is almost non-existent.
                    If thats true, than they can sign OP for relativley cheap and get someone else also. Although I dont see that happening because I still think another team along with the Mets will make a run at OP.

Comment

Lowe was the most reliable SP on the market, but $15M per for 4 years is pretty steep. Then again, Perez probably won't come cheap either.

I dunno, blame the market and a weak farm system for this one. Ideally, they could develop some homegrown guys fairly frequently, but since Wright and Reyes, there haven't been much. And before Wright and Reyes... well, not much either.

Comment

Jon Garland?

im not really keeping up the off season that much but why isnt Jon Garland being talked about much

Does any one know how much he wants
                        http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?start=0

Comment

He turned down an offer from the D-backs. They had $4M available so he wants more than that. I thought he'd get 3-4 years for $10M per year. But it doesn't look like he'll get that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin Joe Giradio View Post
                            Lowe was the most reliable SP on the market, but $15M per for 4 years is pretty steep. Then again, Perez probably won't come cheap either.

I dunno, blame the market and a weak farm system for this one. Ideally, they could develop some homegrown guys fairly frequently, but since Wright and Reyes, there haven't been much. And before Wright and Reyes... well, not much either.
                            Perez is now going to cost more because Boras now knows the Mets are desperate with Lowe off the board, just like he just raped Atlanta who also was desperate after Smoltz left.

As far as home grown talent, the Mets have always been better at hyping it than producing it.

Comment

The Braves over payed for Lowe.
                              I'd rather have Oli Perez @4 years $60 million as he'll probably get because of Boras.

I think Perez will round out or rotation lovely.

Santana
                              Maine
                              Perez
                              Pelfry
                              Redding
                              *Pedro?
                              sigpic
                              h!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...