Kiner's Korner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Rigatoni View Post
    Ralph would head down to the Kiner's Korner studios after the bottom of the eighth.I don't recall Kiner's Korner being shorter
    or longer due to half hour intervals.For the most part or at least it seemed that way that Kiner's Korner at least through the
    mid 90's was always about the same length.And Bowling For Dollars was a show that Bob Murphy hosted for one season after
    the 1973 World Series ended and continued to do the show until Spring Training 1974.Murphy no longer did the show after that.
    Bowling For Dollars used to be on Monday through Friday at 6:30 pm on Ch 9 from as I said from after the 1973 World Series
    ended until Spring Training 1974.

My grandmother was on an episode of Bowling for Dollars with Murph........I'd give ANYTHING to see it, but I know that no episodes survived.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Ralph would head down to the Kiner's Korner studios after the bottom of the eighth.I don't recall Kiner's Korner being shorter
      or longer due to half hour intervals.For the most part or at least it seemed that way that Kiner's Korner at least through the
      mid 90's was always about the same length.And Bowling For Dollars was a show that Bob Murphy hosted for one season after
      the 1973 World Series ended and continued to do the show until Spring Training 1974.Murphy no longer did the show after that.
      Bowling For Dollars used to be on Monday through Friday at 6:30 pm on Ch 9 from as I said from after the 1973 World Series
      ended until Spring Training 1974.
      Thanks much for straightening out the facts for us, Joe. As usual, you were spot on.

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
      My grandmother was on an episode of Bowling for Dollars with Murph........I'd give ANYTHING to see it, but I know that no episodes survived.
      That's terrific! One has to wonder if there are no recordings of the episodes.

I only say that because an old episode from the 1950's of Beat The Clock with Bud Collyer was aired a few years back on the Game Show Network, and one of the couples was a husband and wife from here in Nassau County for whom I was landscaping their property in the 1990's. And they lived in the same house they were in back when they appeared on the show as newlyweds. I've regretted not being quick enough to throw the videocassette in the machine when it aired.

Sorry for the digression, but that's why I wonder if someone potentially archived Kiner's Korner or Bowling For Dollars.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
        m8644,Like milladrive said I think that's terrific too and I hope that you are able to eventually find that episode of Bowling
        For Dollars with Murph.These days episodes come out of the woodwork for different shows so hopefully you will be able to
        find it.And milladrive your Beat The Clock story which I have heard before and I have been greatly impressed with in my
        opinion is relevant to this discussion.You can relate to m8644 trying to find that episode as you are trying to find your
        episode and we are all trying to find the Kiner's Korner episodes so we all have a common goal in trying to find these
        episodes in which we can all relate to.
        "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
        at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Ralph would head down to the Kiner's Korner studios after the bottom of the eighth.
          I remember this one story Gary Cohen was sharing about KK, when Ralph was in the booth. They were discussing the 24 inning loss to the Cards back in 1974. Gary was watching the game on TV. Of course, Ralph had to go down prepare for Kiner's Korner. Little did he know that he'd be waiting for hours upon hours. Gary remembers the WOR-TV crew kept cutting away to Ralph sitting patiently at his news desk and the game continued on....

Cheers!
          -Doug
          20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

It’s great to see how appreciated Ralph Kiner is. I can’t think of anyone else who never played or managed a game with the team that’s so iconic and popular with fans. This goes way beyond his likable demeanor on the air. It got me wondering why.

I think the reason Ralph resonates with Mets fans is because he’s pretty much the Mets franchise incarnated. He’s Marv Throneberry, Darryl Strawberry, Casey Stengel and Tom Seaver rolled into one. He’s part lovable bungler but all glorious winner. All of the franchise’s characteristics, some good some bad but all endearing, are pretty much embodied by Kiner. He’s makes a ton of mistakes as a broadcaster, but at the end of the day he’s just awesome. He personally sums up the team’s traditional persona and mystique. His show was as much a strange, enjoyable, off-kilter pleasure as some of the Mets’ best baseball.

Does this make sense to anyone?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
              It’s great to see how appreciated Ralph Kiner is. I can’t think of anyone else who never played or managed a game with the team that’s so iconic and popular with fans. This goes way beyond his likable demeanor on the air. It got me wondering why.

I think the reason Ralph resonates with Mets fans is because he’s pretty much the Mets franchise incarnated. He’s Marv Throneberry, Darryl Strawberry, Casey Stengel and Tom Seaver rolled into one. He’s part lovable bungler but all glorious winner. All of the franchise’s characteristics, some good some bad but all endearing, are pretty much embodied by Kiner. He’s makes a ton of mistakes as a broadcaster, but at the end of the day he’s just awesome. He personally sums up the team’s traditional persona and mystique. His show was as much a strange, enjoyable, off-kilter pleasure as some of the Mets’ best baseball.

It does. And frankly, I think you should be unofficially named this forum's poet laureate. Seriously, though, you do have a way with words (and a brilliant mind to put behind them).
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Makes perfect sense. I met Ralph once. Spring training a few years ago. My teenage son was happy to see Reyes and Wright and get whatever autographs he could of the current players during workouts and pregame. On the way into one game I told him to wait a moment as I saw Ralph accompanied by Omar Minaya entering the stadium. Ralph took a few minutes to say hello and talk to the fans entering the stadium. Must be nice going through life universally liked. (of course you earn that by being the right kind of person yourself). Kind of like Yogi and Stan Musial.

Comment

Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
                  They were discussing the 24 inning loss to the Cards back in 1974.
                  OK, now who remembers how this game ended? I expect Joe Rigatoni to pounce on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                    OK, now who remembers how this game ended? I expect Joe Rigatoni to pounce on this one.
                    That was 25 innings. And it was some mess of errors. Botched pickoff and some more.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                      It was 25 innings.It was the top of the 25th and Mets relief pitcher Hank Webb tried to pickoff the Cardinals Bake McBride
                      off of first base but Webb throws the ball into right field and McBride comes all the way around to score and the Cardinals
                      won 4-3 in 25 innings.McBride was on Kiner's Korner at 3:30 in the morning after the game.

Speaking of Hank Webb he is going to be at an autograph signing at a 1973 Mets theme show in late October in New Jersey.
                      "You don't give up any runs,we'll guarantee you
                      at least a tie." ~ Grote to Koosman

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                        It does. And frankly, I think you should be unofficially named this forum's poet laureate. Seriously, though, you do have a way with words (and a brilliant mind to put behind them).
                        Thank you Milladrive. I'm blushing. I'll accept the position, but only if Dana Brand is named the official Poet Laureate. It might be nice to find someplace to link to his blog, which still stands as a monument to him, as well as a monument to being a Mets fan:

http://danabrand.com/blog/

I especially like the end of his penultimate piece, written about Fred Wilpon's New Yorker profile:

I am heartbroken for the Mets and for their fans. We deserved more than this final clueless arrogance.

Watching a game with Wilpon, Toobin describes how the Astros put three runs up on the board in the second inning, and Wilpon says to him “We’re snakebitten, baby,” as if the disasters of the past four and a half years had something to do with snakes or stars.

They didn’t, but it turns out that we are snakebitten. We’ve been bitten by a snake.
                        Dana also slams the new stadium in the piece. I know for a fact he considered the corporate mission of the new place appalling and found an element of poetic justice in Fred Wilpon's current plight.

His post about Ralph Kiner here earlier is masterful, and by far the best post in the thread.

Comment

I haven't had the chance to watch games as regularly as I used to. Could someone please tell me if the great man has anything like a regular slot during home broadcasts this season?

And is he still the same old Ralph? How does he sound?

And does anyone have any videos of old Kiner's Korners? I've been watching various collections of old programming lately and feel the urge to see some of the classic Kiner interviews, both to see classic Ralph and to see so many of the players I remember.

Comment

Best I can do to help is offer this recent photo of Ralph in the broadcast booth...

(Photo taken June 17, 2012. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

...but if that's not very helpful - and I don't expect it really would be - here's a screenshot I took off one of the flat screen TVs in the Caesars Club during that same game... and yes, that is Tom Seaver on the left...

(Photo taken June 17, 2012. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
                            X
                            What's THAT guy doing?
                            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Once Ralph had Neil Allen on. You may recall this reliever as continuously upbeat, always talking, always effusive and pleasant. Ralph asked him about the game he had just pitched in and Allen went on and on about how he loved baseball and how he learns something new every day. He then looked at Ralph and quipped, "I bet even now, Ralph, I bet even you learn something new every day." Without missing a beat, Ralph deadpanned: "The last thing I learned was that I was washed up."

Comment

Here's a treat. Ralph reminisces about a few things:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X