Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kiner's Korner

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    The secret to the success of Kiner's Korner, I've long believed, was Ralph's natural ability to relate to the players and the game itself. He was the rare ex-athlete with HOF talent who could talk about the game with the guys still playing it. You could see, even as a kid, how naturally he connected with Tom Seaver, Cleon Jones, Jerry Koosman et al. They actually enjoyed being on the show - that came through. And that was Ralph. It wasn't his talent with language, it was his empathetic, humorous, authentic personality.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      The secret to the success of Kiner's Korner, I've long believed, was Ralph's natural ability to relate to the players and the game itself. He was the rare ex-athlete with HOF talent who could talk about the game with the guys still playing it. You could see, even as a kid, how naturally he connected with Tom Seaver, Cleon Jones, Jerry Koosman et al. They actually enjoyed being on the show - that came through. And that was Ralph. It wasn't his talent with language, it was his empathetic, humorous, authentic personality.
      Absolutely.

      He announced he had Bells Palsy in 1998 and here he is in 2012 still contributing to the team's broadcasts which is remarkable along with his love of the Mets since day one. His show will always be memorable because it was obvious he did connect with the players in a way we no longer see.

      This man (along with Bob Murphy, Lindsay Nelson) need more visible tributes.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by WEB View Post
        Absolutely.

        He announced he had Bells Palsy in 1998 and here he is in 2012 still contributing to the team's broadcasts which is remarkable along with his love of the Mets since day one. His show will always be memorable because it was obvious he did connect with the players in a way we no longer see.

        This man (along with Bob Murphy, Lindsay Nelson) need more visible tributes.
        Here's a treat with Ralph, Bob and Lindsay: the Mets first game! Five innings of it anyway:

        http://contursi.freeyellow.com/baseb...sfirstgame.mp3

        Anyone heard Ralph this year?

        Anyone popped open a nice cold Rheingold Extra Dry lately? Is it even around anymore? Extra Dry and refreshing. It must have been nice to sip one while watching this team and listening to these guys.


        "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          Here's a treat with Ralph, Bob and Lindsay: the Mets first game! Five innings of it anyway:

          http://contursi.freeyellow.com/baseb...sfirstgame.mp3

          Anyone heard Ralph this year?

          Anyone popped open a nice cold Rheingold Extra Dry lately? Is it even around anymore? Extra Dry and refreshing. It must have been nice to sip one while watching this team and listening to these guys.
          Original Rheingold went out in 1976. However, in the past 10 years or so, the brand was brought back by others using the same formula.

          http://www.rheingoldbrewingcompany.com/home.html

          Comment


          • #50
            I missed this:

            http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-digital/?_r=0

            August 21, 2010, 1:04 am 15 Comments
            ‘Kiner’s Korner’ Returns, Dusted Off and in Digital
            By RICHARD SANDOMIR

            “Kiner’s Korner” is getting a new life online, providing Mets fans with a chance to see Ralph Kiner in his television heyday as the host of Channel 9’s postgame (and rain delay) show from a cramped studio in Shea Stadium.

            Starting Tuesday, SNY.tv. will post the first of nine weekly webisodes that combine clips from Kiner’s postgame interviews and new chats between him and the host Ted Berg for the Mets network’s dip into nostalgia.

            “When I’m in town or in the car, people yell out, ‘Kiner’s Korner,’” Kiner said by telephone Friday. “I can’t tell you how many people tell me that they grew up with ‘Kiner’s Korner.’”

            The footage that will be seen is about all that is known to have been rediscovered. Only some of it is usable.

            Nearly all the “Korners” are gone, tossed out or taped over at a time when few local stations, networks or teams understood the value of a video archive of their history and broadcasts.

            During their move to Citi Field from Shea before the 2009 season, the Mets gave SNY a box of unlabeled videotapes. Some of them were the “Korners,” and others were team marketing films made from 1962 to 1988, which the network turned into the “Mets Yearbooks” series that has been running since last year.

            “It’s fun to see those old shows and see the guys who were there — good God — 50 years ago,” Kiner said. “The thing is, the topics are the same as they were back then. Baseball is still four balls and three strikes.”

            The online resurrection of “Kiner’s Korner” fits into other history-related moves by the Mets. For its second season at Citi Field, the team belatedly opened a hall of fame and museum and recently inducted four members into the hall (Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Davey Johnson and Frank Cashen) after an eight-year hiatus.

            Kiner, 87, is a human archive of Mets and baseball history, but he continues to use his knowledge of the past in his occasional appearances on SNY’s game broadcasts to reflect on current players. “When I did the show originally, I feel as I do now that the game is still a great game,” he said.

            The guests on the SNY webisodes are Pete Rose, Bobby Valentine, Johnny Bench, Richie Ashburn, Ed Kranepool (a two-parter), Eric Davis, and Johnson and Tommy Lasorda (also in two parts). In a clip from the 1980s, Rose and Kiner discuss why Rose’s continuing to play would delay induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

            The interview with Ashburn leads inevitably into a discussion of the 1962 Mets, when Kiner was calling the games with Lindsey Nelson and Bob Murphy, and Ashburn was in the outfield and batting .306.

            Kiner recalled that guests received $50 or so for appearing on the show, but in the early days, they could instead choose merchandise from a catalog as compensation. One year, Kiner said that he balked at an offer to be paid $75 a show. He missed a couple of shows (Murphy filled in) while he bargained for more money.

            Eventually, Kiner relented and took the $75.

            “My first holdout,” he said.



            I'm sure lots of people have episodes taped on VCRs. There should be an open call for those and they should be made available. I'm sure the rights issues could be solved. I've always been surprised there was no trading community for taped shows like there is for taped rock concerts.

            I'd love to see the old shows again.

            It's easy to forget there was ever such a thing as homespun local television.

            Kiner's Korner was the anti-ESPN.


            "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

            Comment


            • #51
              Just reread this thread. Great stuff! I also remember as others have noted the time when Cleon Jones was out of his mind winning every game. He would end his time with Ralph and say "see you tomorrow on the show" and sure enough he'd help win that game and come on Kiner's Korner again. Loved when Tommie Agee joined him as well.

              Comment


              • #52
                I remember reading a story on Ralph Kiner in 2012 on the 50th anniversary of the team. Kiner was doing a postgame show (radio? TV?) with then-manager Casey Stengel with Stengel wearing a microphone. It was an improvised TV studio in the Polo Grounds. When Kiner's interview with Casey Stengel ended, Stengel abruptly got up and knocked down one of the walls on his way out.
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Here's a treasure:



                  Ralph knew how to conduct an interview and Tom knew how to give one.

                  We could have used Seaver in 1984 and 1985.


                  "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                    Here's a treasure:



                    Ralph knew how to conduct an interview and Tom knew how to give one.

                    We could have used Seaver in 1984 and 1985.
                    Leaving him unprotected was a disgrace, although I do not think one of his strong points was or would have been teaching younger players. Seaver pitching against the Mets in the 86 world series would have been unbearable. Not glad he was hurt but was glad he couldn't pitch against the Mets in 86.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      The Great Man has passed on.

                      http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ses-away-at-91


                      Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner passes away at 91
                      By Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer
                      February 6, 2014 3:29 pm ET

                      Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner passed away at his home in California on Thursday. He died peacefully from natural causes with his family at his side. He was 91.

                      “With the passing of Ralph Kiner, the baseball world has lost one of its greatest ambassadors and the Hall of Fame has lost a wonderful friend,” said Jane Forbes Clark, Chairman of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. “Ralph spent eight decades as a player, executive and broadcaster. He was a man who truly loved our National Pastime and made it better in every way. His legacy will live forever in Cooperstown.”

                      "Ralph Kiner was one of the most beloved people in Mets history — An original Met and extraordinary gentleman,"said Mets owner and CEO Fred Wilpon in a statement. "After a Hall of Fame playing career, Ralph became a treasured broadcasting icon for more than half a century. His knowledge of the game, wit, and charm entertained generations of Mets fans. Like his stories, he was one of a kind. We send our deepest condolences to Ralph's five children and twelve grandchildren. Our sport and society today lost one of the all-time greats."

                      Kiner played 10 years in the big leagues from 1946-55, suiting up for the Pirates, Cubs and Indians. He retired as a .279/.398/.548 (149 OPS+) career hitter with 369 career home runs. Kiner led the league in homers in each of his first seven seasons and led MLB in homers six times.

                      Following his playing career, Kiner broadcast games for the White Sox and Mets. Condolences to his family and friends.


                      "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I remember Ralph with Lindsey and Bob as a kid on TV and radio. Remember Kiner's Korner coming on with the theme song on the picture of the bats in a bat rack. I met Ralph at spring training about 9 years ago. My son was happy to see al the younger Mets. I was excited when I met Gary Carter by the back fields then going into the game that afternoon there was Ralph being escorted into the stadium by Omar Minaya. I stopped to say hello and he was very nice to everyone. Made my day.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                          I remember Ralph with Lindsey and Bob as a kid on TV and radio. Remember Kiner's Korner coming on with the theme song on the picture of the bats in a bat rack. I met Ralph at spring training about 9 years ago. My son was happy to see al the younger Mets. I was excited when I met Gary Carter by the back fields then going into the game that afternoon there was Ralph being escorted into the stadium by Omar Minaya. I stopped to say hello and he was very nice to everyone. Made my day.
                          You were fortunate.

                          I've been in a room with Ralph but regret never "officially" meeting him.

                          I wonder how many posters here actually met him?


                          "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                            You were fortunate.

                            I've been in a room with Ralph but regret never "officially" meeting him.

                            I wonder how many posters here actually met him?
                            My dad bought him a drink in the Diamond club back in the 1970's.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                              My dad bought him a drink in the Diamond club back in the 1970's.
                              Just one?

                              I would have bought Ralph two!


                              "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Also posted this in the Shea thread...

                                After years of searching...I finally FOUND IT - the source recording of the original Kiner's Korner theme!!

                                It's the "Flag Of Victory Polka" from "Big Band Polkas On Parade", by Ira Ironstrings and his Polka Marching Band, released in 1962 (I'm sure the whole album is a real toe-tapper, lol). Anyway, the full song does not appear to be available online - I could only find a 30-second sample, and quickly posted it to YouTube. Might get the actual CD and get the whole version soon. So, a quick sample, and here's to Ralph, an original Met.

                                Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X