No announcement yet.

Kiner's Korner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction to Mets first radio broadcast. No actual Ralph, though he's introduced, but Lindsay Nelson, Howard Cosell and Gil Hodges:

Interesting. I'd heard Cosell had something to do with the Mets' original broadcast team, but this is the first recorded evidence I've come across.

Did he ever call any games?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Another possible honor to make Ralph's resume complete, though Ford Frick was a lousy commissioner and awards are nonsense.

http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/9...dcasting-award

Kiner among 10 finalists for '15 Frick Award
      By Joey Nowak / MLB.com | October 3, 2014

The list of 2015 Ford C. Frick Award finalists has been narrowed to 10, with the winner set to be announced on Dec. 10 at the Winter Meetings.

The finalists are Richie Ashburn, Billy Berroa, Rene Cardenas, Dizzy Dean, Dick Enberg, Ernie Johnson Sr., Ralph Kiner, Ned Martin, Joe Nuxhall and Jack Quinlan. The award is presented annually "for excellence in baseball broadcasting" by the Hall of Fame.

The winner will be honored during the July 25 awards presentation as part of the Hall of Fame Weekend in Cooperstown, N.Y. To be considered, an active or retired broadcaster must have a minimum of 10 years of continuous Major League broadcast service.

The list of 10 includes three fan selections (Enberg, Kiner and Quinlan) and seven that were chosen by the Hall of Fame research committee. Cardenas and Enberg are the only two living candidates.

Final voting will be conducted by a 20-member electorate, comprised of the 16 living award recipients and four broadcast historian/columnists.

Comment

New York Mets 1986 Eastern Division Clincher/Kiner's Korner

1) Here's something for another off day after the All Star Game. A real treat:

https://youtu.be/MQoo2F59wNI

Ralph is interviewing a variety of people here: mostly dignitaries away from the champagne. It's great to see everyone - except Fred around 14:45.

2) Even better is this classic Kiner's Korner with Dwight and Darryl from August 25th 1985:

https://youtu.be/b6udmimC56I

Darryl homered and Dwight won his 20th. At that point it seemed like those two could accomplish anything. Ralph's in great form asking incisive questions.

3) Finally here's some must see TV - a compilation of classic Ralph botching and bungling things. Running time says 3 hours but there's only around 22 minutes worth of material - all of it golden.

https://youtu.be/5Grsvyt5xps

From time to time you can hear broadcast personnel cracking up in the background. His partners in the booth struggle to keep straight faces as chaos erupts.

There have been a lot of broadcasters but there will only ever be one Ralph Kiner. The lapses were always forgivable because he really did know everything about baseball. And nobody was more pleasant company for the duration of a ball game.

I miss him.
        Last edited by Mongoose; 07-16-2015, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          1) Here's something for another off day after the All Star Game. A real treat:

https://youtu.be/MQoo2F59wNI

Ralph is interviewing a variety of people here: mostly dignitaries away from the champagne. It's great to see everyone - except Fred around 14:45.

2) Even better is this classic Kiner's Korner with Dwight and Darryl from August 25th 1985:

https://youtu.be/b6udmimC56I

Darryl homered and Dwight won his 20th. At that point it seemed like those two could accomplish anything. Ralph's in great form asking incisive questions.

3) Finally here's some must see TV - a compilation of classic Ralph botching and bungling things. Running time says 3 hours but there's only around 22 minutes worth of material - all of it golden.

https://youtu.be/5Grsvyt5xps

From time to time you can hear broadcast personnel cracking up in the background. His partners in the booth struggle to keep straight faces as chaos erupts.

There have been a lot of broadcasters but there will only ever be one Ralph Kiner. The lapses were always forgivable because he really did know everything about baseball. And nobody was more pleasant company for the duration of a ball game.

I miss him.
          Mongoose...thank you so much for that.

Like a lot us I guess I was huge Straw & Gooden fan, and I remember so vividly the game that you listed in your post. Gooden won his 20th on the same day that Straw hit his 20th homer. Its been 30 years since that day (man we are getting old) and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Kiner was just such a great person. Kiners Korner is classic and it never gets old.

Mongoose we all miss Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
            Mongoose...thank you so much for that.

Like a lot us I guess I was huge Straw & Gooden fan, and I remember so vividly the game that you listed in your post. Gooden won his 20th on the same day that Straw hit his 20th homer. Its been 30 years since that day (man we are getting old) and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Kiner was just such a great person. Kiners Korner is classic and it never gets old.

Mongoose we all miss Ralph.
            Wish there were some early 70s KK's still out there - I read somewhere that they didn't save tape, but re-used it.
            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Here's a special edition of Kiner's Korner from the day Lindsay Nelson was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Frick Award winner.

Ralph and Bob and lots of nice old footage here. All three would be HOF honorees: a Hall of Fame broadcast team. Ralph is still up for a Frick Award, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                Here's a special edition of Kiner's Korner from the day Lindsay Nelson was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Frick Award winner.

Ralph and Bob and lots of nice old footage here. All three would be HOF honorees: a Hall of Fame broadcast team. Ralph is still up for a Frick Award, too.
                Pretty awesome footage there. Thanks for that.

Makes me really reflect back on how long I have been a Met fan & an even bigger baseball fan.
                Last edited by Paulypal; 11-28-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Here's the Kiner's Korner from the Jimmy Fund game in 1987. Ralph asks some good questions and David Cone provides some good answers. As many will remember the game was a Red Sox related charity event which the Mets had committed to the year after the miracle win/devastating loss in the 1986 World Series.

I had wondered why the Mets would start a pitcher like Cone in an exhibition game and then remembered it was still only 1987.

What's interesting is that the pitchers the Mets "wasted" in the exhibition game would be among the best in baseball over the next decade. David Cone started, Randy Myers relieved him. Cone's stuff is great. These were the up and coming players the Mets had the year after winning 108 games.

Comment

Here are three Kiners Korners that haven't been seen by most since they originally aired.

The first features Roger McDowell and Wally Backman, 8/12/87. Good stuff. Great Miller Light commercial too; preceded Cowboys and Aliens by 20+ years

Here's Keith Hernandez and Davey Johnson from 6/10/87

And finally Dwight Gooden on August 20th 1985 after striking out 16 on the way to his 13th win in a row. Nice footage from when he was the best pitcher in history.

Great to see Gooden dominate again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                      Here are three Kiners Korners that haven't been seen by most since they originally aired.

The first features Roger McDowell and Wally Backman, 8/12/87. Good stuff. Great Miller Light commercial too; preceded Cowboys and Aliens by 20+ years

Here's Keith Hernandez and Davey Johnson from 6/10/87

And finally Dwight Gooden on August 20th 1985 after striking out 16 on the way to his 13th win in a row. Nice footage from when he was the best pitcher in history.

Great to see Gooden dominate again.
                      Thanks Goose, very nice. Ralph was the best.

Comment

• Kiner and Kong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Kiner and Kong.
                          Never get tired of Kiner. What a guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

Never get tired of Kiner. What a guy.
                            I like seeing Kingman, too, here. When he got a good piece of one, the question was, would it clear the fence? - the back fence of the bullpen, that is. You always paid attention to his at bats.

I had the chance to see most of a game from the late 1970s on video, not long ago. I now recognize the players as bad. Craig Swan started. Poor guy. It's amazing he allowed as few runs as he did considering the kind of defense behind him. I think this Kiner's Korner is from Kingman's second stint with the team.

But I really got a lot of enjoyment from those teams. And the broadcast team, at least Kiner and Murphy after Nelson left, was first rate. More than first rate.

Comment

• Seems a book came out about Kiner's Korner last year.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...how-1.11740384

Anyone have a chance to look at it? Reviews are pretty good.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...how-1.11740384

Little time to read now, but its certainly on my list of books to get.

Nice story about Ricky Horton in the article, by the way.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X