Our Mets Hall of Fame, election 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Mets Hall of Fame, election 13

This is the thirteenth election for Our Mets Hall of Fame. Last time, we elected Ron Hunt and Felix Millan.

For rules and specifications for this Hall of Fame, see:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=83894

New on the ballot:

Jack Aker
    Benny Ayala
    Bruce Boisclair
    Jerry Cram
    Nino Espinosa
    Ike Hampton
    Brock Pemberton
    Rich Puig
    Randy Sterling

Dropped from the last ballot:

Rich Chiles
    Greg Harts
    Phil Hennigan
    Jerry May
    Brian Ostrosser
    Harry Parker
    George Stone
    John Strohmayer

Code:
    Mets Hall of Fame:

Player:          Times on ballot:          Induction percentage:           When inducted:

Tommie Agee             2                           80.00                   8th election 
    Jerry Grote             1                           100.00                  5th election
    Bud Harrelson           1                           100.00                  4th election
    Gil Hodges              1                           77.78                   1st election
    Ron Hunt                11                          77.78                   12th election
    Cleon Jones             1                           100.00                  2nd election
    Jerry Koosman           1                           100.00                  6th election
    Ed Kranepool            1                           88.89                   1st election
    Jon Matlack             1                           81.82                   10th election
    Tug McGraw              1                           90.00                   4th election
    Felix Millan            1                           77.78                   12th election
    Tom Seaver              1                           91.67                   6th election
    Rusty Staub             1                           85.71                   11th election

Manager:          Times on ballot:          Induction percentage:           When inducted:

Gil Hodges               1                           90.00                   1st Mgr. election
    Davey Johnson            1                           100.00                  1st Mgr. election
    Bobby Valentine          2                           100.00                  2nd Mgr. election

Code:
    Holdovers:

Player:          Times on ballot:          Previous percentage:          High percentage: 

Bob Apodaca             1                       22.22                         22.22
    Richie Ashburn          12                      11.11                         33.33
    Yogi Berra              9                       22.22                         41.67
    Ed Charles              7                       22.22                         36.36
    Donn Clendenon          5                       33.33                         60.00
    Choo Choo Coleman       12                      22.22                         27.27
    Roger Craig             12                      11.11                         33.33
    Gary Gentry             5                       22.22                         22.22
    Ron Hodges              1                       11.11                         11.11
    Al Jackson              12                      11.11                         40.00
    Willie Mays             2                       55.56                         55.56
    John Milner             3                       33.33                         33.33
    Joe Pignatano           12                      22.22                         22.22
    Nolan Ryan              8                       22.22                         50.00
    Dave Schneck            2                       11.11                         11.11
    Ken Singleton           4                       11.11                         11.11
    Warren Spahn            8                       22.22                         36.36
    Craig Swan              1                       44.44                         44.44
    Ron Swoboda             9                       66.67                         70.00
    George Theodore         1                       11.11                         11.11
    Marv Throneberry        12                      22.22                         30.00

Holdovers dropped:

none
    Jack Aker
    1.72%
    Bob Apodaca
    1.72%
    Richie Ashburn
    1.72%
    Benny Ayala
    1.72%
    Yogi Berra
    3.45%
    Bruce Boisclair
    1.72%
    Ed Charles
    3.45%
    Donn Clendenon
    8.62%
    Choo Choo Coleman
    1.72%
    Roger Craig
    3.45%
    Jerry Cram
    0.00%
    Nino Espinosa
    1.72%
    Gary Gentry
    3.45%
    Ike Hampton
    0.00%
    Ron Hodges
    3.45%
    Al Jackson
    5.17%
    Willie Mays
    8.62%
    John Milner
    6.90%
    Brock Pemberton
    0.00%
    Joe Pignatano
    3.45%
    Rich Puig
    0.00%
    Nolan Ryan
    5.17%
    Dave Schneck
    1.72%
    Ken Singleton
    1.72%
    Warren Spahn
    3.45%
    Randy Sterling
    0.00%
    Craig Swan
    8.62%
    Ron Swoboda
    10.34%
    George Theodore
    1.72%
    Marv Throneberry
    5.17%
    None of the above
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

I impulsively gave my vote to Donn Clendenon, maybe this will get our 1969 WS MVP over the hump.

Comment

I voted for more candidates than is usual (especially considering the weakness of this ballot), but really, if I had to support only four here, they would be (in order): Craig Swan, Ron Swoboda, Donn Clendenon, and Willie Mays (honorary...I know some current Mets fans would not support it, but believe me when I say that the VAST majority that saw him play both for the New York Giants and the Mets would support it simply as an homage to arguably the greatest man ever to play with a New York National League franchise).
      "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
      -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

From this ballot: Jackson, Mays, Milner, Ryan, Swan, Swoboda.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

mhube...You voted for Bob Apodaca, yet you didn't vote for Craig Swan. Mind explaining that?
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Welcome aboard Ron Swoboda. I'll get a new election up tomorrow.

Comment

I shall now lobby for Craig Swan and Skip Lockwood's entries into the Mets HoF (I think we see Skip in the next election).

Comment

Swoboda? Its an embarrasment that our HOF is anyone that had a season or moment that rose above mediocrity. Swan? He won an ERA title but had all of one full season. Lockwood? I'm waiting for the Willie Montanez push.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                  Swoboda? Its an embarrasment that our HOF is anyone that had a season or moment that rose above mediocrity. Swan? He won an ERA title but had all of one full season. Lockwood? I'm waiting for the Willie Montanez push.
                  It's not all about statistical accomplishments in this HOF.

Comment

"It's not all about statistical accomplishments in this HOF."

Bingo. Don't forget that Craig Swan was more of a "What If?" that gave hope to the late 1970's Mets fans. And Skip Lockwood? Actually, with regards to him, he SHOULD be in this Hall of Fame based on statistical accomplishment with the Mets. Since we will inevitably vote in Roger McDowell and Jesse Orosco, why not Lockwood? He was actually consistently better than McDowell. He had two seasons with an ERA+ over 200 while playing with the Mets. That's not good. That's DOMINATING. He also had two seasons with an ERA+ over 110. He only has one season with the Mets where he's league average (ERA+ of 97...that's almost exactly league average).

By comparison, Roger McDowell has zero seasons with an ERA+ above 200, three seasons with the Mets with an ERA+ over 100, one half a season where he's completely average with the Mets (1989), plus a significantly sub-par 1987. You may point out that McDowell had more saves, but when Lockwood was pitching, he was used as a fireman type closer, when getting 15 saves was a standard of excellence. He got 20 in 1977. I'd take Lockwood over McDowell any day of the week. And had the two been somehow switched, we'd all remember Lockwood better than we remember McDowell, at least as a pitcher (admittedly, McDowell does gain points for being *the* prankster).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X