Abreau "down" to 8 million per....lets go get him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abreau "down" to 8 million per....lets go get him

I just read the White Sox were having discussions for Abreau for 8 million one year. I really think for that price the Mets need to jump in. I think he would be every bit as productive as he was in the Yankee lineup. He would fit nicely in right behind Reyes. Patient hitter giving Reyes every opp to steal, and an excellent two strike hitter.

His defense isnt that bad - no worse than the two clowns in left. Lets say he is petrified of the wall....how many times does that really happen? Well worth the risk for that price.

Any thoughts?

The only thing that Abreu can do well defensively is catch a fly ball. He's slow coming in on the ball and he acts as if the wall is on fire. And if a ball bounces in front of him, he jumps AWAY from it! When you watch him in a full season, you will see how horrible he is.

How often does it happne? I've seen him screw up going to the wall twice in one game. One he should have caught, instead MIGUEL CABRERA got a triple. If that were hit by someone who gave a damn, it would have been an inside the parker home run. He also misplayed a double for a triple off of Magglio Ordonez.

You're exaggerating how bad Tatis and Murphy were. Neither were great but Murphy had never played LF professionaly and Tatis has mostly played the IF in his career.

Abreu is declining offensively and isn't worth it. His numbers look good but he's the type of player who when you see them play everday, looks a lot uglier.

I also like how you want Abreu yet he's the "soft" type of player you don't want on the team.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
      The only thing that Abreu can do well defensively is catch a fly ball. He's slow coming in on the ball and he acts as if the wall is on fire. And if a ball bounces in front of him, he jumps AWAY from it! When you watch him in a full season, you will see how horrible he is.

How often does it happne? I've seen him screw up going to the wall twice in one game. One he should have caught, instead MIGUEL CABRERA got a triple. If that were hit by someone who gave a damn, it would have been an inside the parker home run. He also misplayed a double for a triple off of Magglio Ordonez.

You're exaggerating how bad Tatis and Murphy were. Neither were great but Murphy had never played LF professionaly and Tatis has mostly played the IF in his career.

Abreu is declining offensively and isn't worth it. His numbers look good but he's the type of player who when you see them play everday, looks a lot uglier.

I also like how you want Abreu yet he's the "soft" type of player you don't want on the team.
      I think your going overboard on his defense just a bit, but your willing to live Mo, and Larry in left. Murphy never played left and Tatis played the IF....excellent sounds like the perfect pair to play left. You must be kidding me.

For your information I watch as many Yankee games as I do Met games probably more, and Abreau isnt nearly as bad you are making it out to be. He jumps away from balls hit in front of him ...uh huh exactly.

Abreau is not a hard nose guy no doubt about that, but unless you can find a better player especially for 8 million let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        I think your going overboard on his defense just a bit, but your willing to live Mo, and Larry in left. Murphy never played left and Tatis played the IF....excellent sounds like the perfect pair to play left. You must be kidding me.
        My point is before last year, Murphy had never played LF. This off-season he has been practicing.

For your information I watch as many Yankee games as I do Met games probably more, and Abreau isnt nearly as bad you are making it out to be. He jumps away from balls hit in front of him ...uh huh exactly.
        Put him in a stadium that doesn't have a small RF fence and he's terrible.

He HAS jumped away from line drives that land in front of him. I recall him doing it in a Red Sox game in Fenway Park. Ortiz hit it and went to 3rd.

Abreau is not a hard nose guy no doubt about that, but unless you can find a better player especially for 8 million let me know.
        We don't need him. Do you still not realize that the Mets offense wasn't the problem last year? If their bullpen hadn't given up so many runs, they would have won more games.
        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

My point is before last year, Murphy had never played LF. This off-season he has been practicing.

Put him in a stadium that doesn't have a small RF fence and he's terrible.

He HAS jumped away from line drives that land in front of him. I recall him doing it in a Red Sox game in Fenway Park. Ortiz hit it and went to 3rd.

We don't need him. Do you still not realize that the Mets offense wasn't the problem last year? If their bullpen hadn't given up so many runs, they would have won more games.
          Their offense in my opinion is going to be a huge problem as currently constructed in 2009....you keep looking at last year. Last year is gone...thankfully. If the first 3-4 hitters dont produce...say good night.

You see this is my opinion....when we find out if my opinion or your opinion becomes a fact it will be later on this summer. I think we need another bat in the worst way. You think we dont. I think thats fantasitc...I hope your 100% correct. I think your about as wrong as you can be, but you never know. Your sold on this team, I am not. Very simple. Its ok to have a different opinion.

If they dont make a move and score tons of runs because Murphy is the real deal, or Castillo plays well, or whatever the reasons are that seem unforseen to me I will be the first one to tell you I was wrong. Then you can go high five your David Wright Fat Head, but until then its just a different opinion.

Comment

Their offense in my opinion is going to be a huge problem as currently constructed in 2009....you keep looking at last year. Last year is gone...thankfully. If the first 3-4 hitters dont produce...say good night.
            You're right. I shouldn't base my expectations on their performance last year. Maybe if someone had a really great year, you'd have a point but they didn't. Every starter, except Castillo, performed at their career averages. You're just going on your own pessimistic expectations. I'm going by statistics but I guess I'm the dumb one.

You see this is my opinion....when we find out if my opinion or your opinion becomes a fact it will be later on this summer. I think we need another bat in the worst way. You think we dont. I think thats fantasitc...I hope your 100% correct. I think your about as wrong as you can be, but you never know. Your sold on this team, I am not. Very simple. Its ok to have a different opinion.
            As I said above, I don't think we NEED another bat because of how the lineup performed statistically last year (ie very well). We could use one but we don't need to spend $8M on a declining fantasy player.

If they dont make a move and score tons of runs because Murphy is the real deal, or Castillo plays well, or whatever the reasons are that seem unforseen to me I will be the first one to tell you I was wrong. Then you can go high five your David Wright Fat Head, but until then its just a different opinion.
            I don't have a David Wright Fathead. Could you at least make up new insults?

The difference between my opinion and yours is, as I stated above, you're going by your own pessimistic feelings; I'm going by statistics.

Comment

You're right. I shouldn't base my expectations on their performance last year. Maybe if someone had a really great year, you'd have a point but they didn't. Every starter, except Castillo, performed at their career averages. You're just going on your own pessimistic expectations. I'm going by statistics but I guess I'm the dumb one.

As I said above, I don't think we NEED another bat because of how the lineup performed statistically last year (ie very well). We could use one but we don't need to spend $8M on a declining fantasy player.

I don't have a David Wright Fathead. Could you at least make up new insults?

The difference between my opinion and yours is, as I stated above, you're going by your own pessimistic feelings; I'm going by statistics.
              Ok..........................

Comment

Last year the Mets and Phillies scored the exact same number of runs 799 only behind the Cubs 855. In road runs the Mets were first in the NL @ 5.07 with three teams @ 5.00 or 5.01. Pitching was 6th in R/G and 6th on the road. Defensive efficiency was 3rd in the league even with the alleged butchers in LF. That doesn't seem like a team with glaring holes. If Wright hits close to his average w/ RISP instead of 50 points below and the bullpen doesn't go a month where no lead is safe, the team should be fine. They may not be the '27 Yanks or the 86 Mets but they'll do fine.

Comment

Again.........looking ahead to 2009, not backwards..I do not see the same year from Delgado, Tatis, and Murphy's contribution is a big question mark in 2009. Church had a good first half, but how does he come back?

You dont improve something when it becomes a problem. I think you improve when you can if it makes sense.

Yes in 2008 they scored a million runs. It wont matter in 2009.

Comment

Delagdo may not be so boom or bust, Murphy showed signs of being good and frankly I don't see why you insist on acting as if we must reinvent the wheel every year.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                      Delagdo may not be so boom or bust, Murphy showed signs of being good and frankly I don't see why you insist on acting as if we must reinvent the wheel every year.
                      I didnt realize adding a productive corner OF'er was reinventing the wheel.

Comment

Reinventing the wheel is your insistence on ignoring that the Mets offense as presently constructed performed better than every team in the league last year and stating you are looking forward. As for aging players let's hope Citi field is not the graveyeard for career that Shea was.

Comment

You dont improve something when it becomes a problem. I think you improve when you can if it makes sense.
                          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Don't waste money improving something that doesn't need it; especially when you have other areas that need the improvement far more.

Yes in 2008 they scored a million runs. It wont matter in 2009.
                          So I guess you would have been fine with them making no changes to the bullpen since, to you, the previous year doesn't matter.

Comment

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Don't waste money improving something that doesn't need it; especially when you have other areas that need the improvement far more.

So I guess you would have been fine with them making no changes to the bullpen since, to you, the previous year doesn't matter.
                            I think although you take yourself very seriously,,,I must admit I do get a chuckle from your posts sometimes.

You see and I will explain again, because when I drive I look out of the front window not the rear window, I do not forsee this current lineup producing as it has.

The bullpen was a nightmare. Its obvious I dont sit around and I hope for a turnaround so the bullpen needed addressing. My point is and I hope you understand it is that ...I do not expect the same from Tatis, Delgado, or Murphy, and we already know that Castillo is a horror (well I know). You and your buddies can toss all the 2008 stats you want. They mean nothing in 09.

You think this lineup is not broke because in 2008 . I see it different, and I see it as a concern. I dont understand why its so hard for you to get the fact that I dont agree with what your saying.

Comment

I think although you take yourself very seriously,,,I must admit I do get a chuckle from your posts sometimes.
                              Don't get what you mean but I don't really care.

You see and I will explain again, because when I drive I look out of the front window not the rear window, I do not forsee this current lineup producing as it has.
                              You are supposed to check your rear view mirror though.

The bullpen was a nightmare. Its obvious I dont sit around and I hope for a turnaround so the bullpen needed addressing. My point is and I hope you understand it is that ...I do not expect the same from Tatis, Delgado, or Murphy, and we already know that Castillo is a horror (well I know).
                              I can understand Tatis but Murphy is capable of being a productive hitter. Delgado's problem in the first half was probably his hips and wrists which seemed to have recovered by the 2nd half. I don't expect him to be as good as 2006 and 2008 but he will most likely be better than 2007 and I'll take it.

You and your buddies can toss all the 2008 stats you want. They mean nothing in 09.
                              I'm sorry but they do mean something.

You think this lineup is not broke because in 2008 . I see it different, and I see it as a concern. I dont understand why its so hard for you to get the fact that I dont agree with what your saying.
                              The problem I have with you is you're not basing your opinions off of anything except your gut feeling.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X