No announcement yet.

Abreau "down" to 8 million per....lets go get him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can't get him now cause he signed with the Angels.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
      The Mets aren't idiots because they passed on a declining paper all-star in Bobby Abreu. They only have $4M to spare and still need another lefty in the pen.

I'm more annoyed they passed on Dunn since he's a superior hitter and not terrified of the wall.
      Superior hitter? Yes Adam Dunn and his 175 k's every year are excellent. Giving up 64 points in batting average and 25 with on base base percentage, while gaining 20 in slugging is a good move....and probably giving more than a one year deal for more money to do so is very intelligent. Genius in fact. Especially since Adam Dunn is absolute stud in left field with the glove.

Your baseball knowledge again rears is amazing ingenius head.

Comment

The Mets aren't idiots because they passed on a declining paper all-star in Bobby Abreu. They only have $4M to spare and still need another lefty in the pen.

I'm more annoyed they passed on Dunn since he's a superior hitter and not terrified of the wall.
        This just in...Dunn signs for two years 20 million. Are you still annoyed genius?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
          Superior hitter? Yes Adam Dunn and his 175 k's every year are excellent. Giving up 64 points in batting average and 25 with on base base percentage, while gaining 20 in slugging is a good move....and probably giving more than a one year deal for more money to do so is very intelligent. Genius in fact. Especially since Adam Dunn is absolute stud in left field with the glove.

Your baseball knowledge again rears is amazing ingenius head.
          Batting average is overrated. Anyone with half a brain knows that. Strikeouts are just one type of out. Whether it's bad or good depends on the situation.

Abreu is 35 and only getting worse. Dunn is only 29 and will be hitting his peak. Abreu's power has gone down over the years and rarely steals anymore. His OBP has been down the past 2 years.

Dunn is no GG OF but he just has poor range as opposed to Abreu who not only has lost his range, but is afraid of being raped by the wall.

Dunn could also play LF this year and then move to 1B replacing Delgado next year. Don't have that option with Abreu.

This just in...Dunn signs for two years 20 million. Are you still annoyed genius?
          I knew when I posted. That's why I said I was annoyed that they didn't try to go after him. They didn't need him though.
          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Batting average is overrated. Anyone with half a brain knows that. Strikeouts are just one type of out. Whether it's bad or good depends on the situation.

Abreu is 35 and only getting worse. Dunn is only 29 and will be hitting his peak. Abreu's power has gone down over the years and rarely steals anymore. His OBP has been down the past 2 years.

Dunn is no GG OF but he just has poor range as opposed to Abreu who not only has lost his range, but is afraid of being raped by the wall.

Dunn could also play LF this year and then move to 1B replacing Delgado next year. Don't have that option with Abreu.

I knew when I posted. That's why I said I was annoyed that they didn't try to go after him. They didn't need him though.
            I know he is 35 thats why you sign him for one year. ONE.

Strikeouts are just another out? Baloney. Strikeouts dont cause sac flys, the dont move runners over. K's are just another out is one of Bill James' most horrid statements. I love Sabremetrics but thats not a good statement.

BA is overrated but it still tells you something...doesnt it?
            Last edited by Paulypal; 02-11-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=NYMets523;1426767]The Mets aren't idiots because they passed on a declining paper all-star in Bobby Abreu. They only have $4M to spare and still need another lefty in the pen. QUOTE]

Omar? Is that you Omar?
              Great job let Abreu go to Cali over one million dollars. When our lineup lets us down again we can point to one million dollars being the difference. (PS They had said they would do Abreu for 4 mil) I really can't stand the Wilpons and Minaya, the Coupons for not spending for one more freakin bat which we need (when the rape us on tickets in a brand new park where they can print their own currency) , and DaLiar for doing it haf-azsed again. Let's fix the pen and rotation but hell the lineup did well enough to play meaningful games in September so why upgrade?
              Typical Mets
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

I know he is 35 thats why you sign him for one year. ONE.

Strikeouts are just another out? Baloney. Strikeouts dont cause sac flys, the dont move runners over. K's are just another out is one of Bill James' most horrid statements. I love Sabremetrics but thats not a good statement.
                I guess you missed the "depends on the situation". A sac fly is just a fly out when runners are on base. Strikeout with no one on base is the same as a fly out or ground out with no on on base.

BA is overrated but it still tells you something...doesnt it?
                It tells you virtually nothing compared to OBP and SLG.

Omar? Is that you Omar?
                Great job let Abreu go to Cali over one million dollars. When our lineup lets us down again we can point to one million dollars being the difference.
                Again? It was our bullpen that let us down. If they could have held a lead, the offense wouldn't have had to score 10 runs a game.

(PS They had said they would do Abreu for 4 mil) I really can't stand the Wilpons and Minaya, the Coupons for not spending for one more freakin bat which we need (when the rape us on tickets in a brand new park where they can print their own currency) , and DaLiar for doing it haf-azsed again. Let's fix the pen and rotation but hell the lineup did well enough to play meaningful games in September so why upgrade?
                Typical Mets[/quote]
                Lighten up on the language. We're not living in the most economically prosperous times and ALL baseball teams are not immune to it.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Really? A mostly taxpayer funded stadium, with $20 mil per in taxpayer $ for a new stadium naming rights. Over-inflated ticket prices in a new park that has all the luxe boxes booked. Poor Freddie Coupon, my heart goes out to him. If my language seems rough I apologize but I am sick of this regime from the Coupons, to Omar and his tyranical little mini-me Bernazard. So yes I am livid. Who likes to get their heart ripped out and stomped on 3 years in a row? This is truelly an inept organization. Let's always settle for second best. What ever happened to the Mets of Gil and Jogi, and Davey and Bobby? Of The Paysons, and Doubleday? I really hope the Wilpons do sell, and soon while David, Jose, and Carlos are still young. To not upgrade over the difference of 1 mil is ludicrous!
                  If this offends anyone sorry, I have been offended 3 years running.

Comment

I guess you missed the "depends on the situation". A sac fly is just a fly out when runners are on base. Strikeout with no one on base is the same as a fly out or ground out with no on on base.

It tells you virtually nothing compared to OBP and SLG.

Again? It was our bullpen that let us down. If they could have held a lead, the offense wouldn't have had to score 10 runs a game.
                    Yes depending on the situation...

I have a question for you - Man on third 1 out....who do you want up Dunn or Abreu? Pretty big problem last year with Mets cashing in in those spots add another 175 k's to the lineup. I already lived through Dave Kingman...no thanks.

I agree on batting average with you. Although you must admit that is funny how the best hitters have higher batting averages. Pujols, Arod, Manny, Ichiro. I do agree its very overrated but "virtually nothing" is silly.

Comment

Yes depending on the situation...

I have a question for you - Man on third 1 out....who do you want up Dunn or Abreu? Pretty big problem last year with Mets cashing in in those spots add another 175 k's to the lineup. I already lived through Dave Kingman...no thanks.
                      Dunn has drawn more walks in 8 ML seasons than Kingman drew in 16. Other than Ks and power, the two aren't similar at all.

I agree on batting average with you. Although you must admit that is funny how the best hitters have higher batting averages. Pujols, Arod, Manny, Ichiro. I do agree its very overrated but "virtually nothing" is silly.
                      It does mean virtually nothing. OBP is much more accurate and reliable.

Originally posted by theAmazingMet
                      Really? A mostly taxpayer funded stadium, with $20 mil per in taxpayer $ for a new stadium naming rights.
                      Citibank isn't using any of their bailout money to pay for the naming rights.

Over-inflated ticket prices in a new park that has all the luxe boxes booked.
                      Ticket prices are high every where.

Poor Freddie Coupon, my heart goes out to him. If my language seems rough I apologize but I am sick of this regime from the Coupons, to Omar and his tyranical little mini-me Bernazard.
                      Omar has been successful as a GM. He's made good signings and trades. The only real knock against him is he's not put much into the draft but that's been improving. Bernazard is a great scout. He shouldn't have been in the clubhouse but Willie was an awful manager and should have been fired after 2007.

So yes I am livid. Who likes to get their heart ripped out and stomped on 3 years in a row?
                      Thank you for admitting you're a 2006 bandwagoner.

I really hope the Wilpons do sell, and soon while David, Jose, and Carlos are still young.
                      Good luck finding a buyer now.

To not upgrade over the difference of 1 mil is ludicrous!
                      Maybe if they had already acquired another lefty, you'd have a point but they still need to acquire one.

Comment

Whatever guy yeah i only liked them in 2006. I suffered in the 70's and early 80's, and early to mid 90's, so dont even start that garbage. I was a season ticket holder for 8 years. Disagree with me if you want but DO NOT question my loyalties. It's because of my loyalty to THE METS and not any PERSON OR GM that i get irate when I see things done wrong. Goodnite!

Comment

Dunn has drawn more walks in 8 ML seasons than Kingman drew in 16. Other than Ks and power, the two aren't similar at all.
                          Low average, high K's, a lot of power. Dunn walks more, and played in an era where runs are way up.

I use to think you were just being difficult but now I think that your being a wipe as part of being a joke. You seem to have a problem with anything everyone posts no matter what it is. You disagree and your kind of a nasty wipe about it too.

You love baseball. I will assume that, but you really are not very knowledgeable. Maybe with your buddies you are but your obviously a child or very good at acting like one. You dont know much and you dont respect other peoples opinions. You need to have your own website where you can post to your self. Dealing with other people doesnt seem to be your strong suit.

Comment

Did ANA get Abreu for like $5 mil? That's a steal.

I think Abreu would be a better fit than Dunn. You could bat him 2nd and he'd get on base a ton and he can still run pretty decently. I would have signed Abreu instead of Ollie honestly.

Dunn would probably be one of those guys who gets booed a lot at home. It would be rough if you had Delgado and Dunn back to back in the lineup. All or nothing.

It's weird, it seems this year the starting pitchers are getting the deals while some established hitters - superior players to the pitchers, are not drawing much interest.

Comment

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                              Really? A mostly taxpayer funded stadium, with $20 mil per in taxpayer $ for a new stadium naming rights. Over-inflated ticket prices in a new park that has all the luxe boxes booked. Poor Freddie Coupon, my heart goes out to him. If my language seems rough I apologize but I am sick of this regime from the Coupons, to Omar and his tyranical little mini-me Bernazard. So yes I am livid. Who likes to get their heart ripped out and stomped on 3 years in a row? This is truelly an inept organization. Let's always settle for second best. What ever happened to the Mets of Gil and Jogi, and Davey and Bobby? Of The Paysons, and Doubleday? I really hope the Wilpons do sell, and soon while David, Jose, and Carlos are still young. To not upgrade over the difference of 1 mil is ludicrous!
                              If this offends anyone sorry, I have been offended 3 years running.
                              Wilpon pretty much intended "Citi Field" to be season tickets only. As long as the team is good enough to pre-sell its 41,000 capacity, there's no reason to spend another cent. At least from his perspective. He has all his ticket money up front for the next season in November, and it no longer matters to him if the team will win or not.

I have to laugh at the Mets fans that defend his taking bank bailout money and other handouts. Somehow they seem to think that those funds will somehow be put into building a winner.

How wrong they are.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                                Wilpon pretty much intended "Citi Field" to be season tickets only. As long as the team is good enough to pre-sell its 41,000 capacity, there's no reason to spend another cent. At least from his perspective. He has all his ticket money up front for the next season in November, and it no longer matters to him if the team will win or not.
                                C'mon, Mongoose! The squad at least has to be able to make the first round of playoffs so the real gouging of the fan base can begin. :flow:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X