X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets didn't keep Johan out of Classic

Link: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=nym

Story:
    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Although the withdrawal of Johan Santana from the World Baseball Classic was for weeks a foregone conclusion within the Mets' organization, Santana said Saturday the club never withheld its approval for him to participate with the Venezuelan team in the international tournament.

Santana's remarks came one day after the Classic released a statement explaining that the issue that would deny Santana an opportunity to pitch for his country was the high cost of an insurance premium.

Santana, who underwent left knee surgery Oct. 1, said he is one of a number of big league players who will not participate in the Classic because of the insurance issue. He named no others.

"It has nothing to do with my willingness to play in the [Classic]," Santana said. "I was preparing myself. Everything was on the right track."

Santana said he had heard from his agent, Peter Greenberg, on Friday that the Classic had made a decision. Mets general manager Omar Minaya confirmed the situation with Santana on Saturday morning.

"We never had to make a decision about his participation," Minaya said.

"It's tough," Santana said. "It's sad. I wanted to pitch."
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Although I'm going to the 2nd round games down and Miami and am a little disappointed, it really is probably for the best.. No reason for him to push it...
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X