No announcement yet.

Why the Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 8 years old in 1986 living with my mom in Los Angeles and i remember for no particular reason wanting some topps baseball cards I saw at the super market. My mom bought me a pack. I vividly remember getting a Fernando Valenzuela card with the LA on his hat and my favorite color being blue and declaring myself a Dodger fan.

Mind you my Mom and Step Dad are Europeans so baseball is completely foreign to them, but my mom wanting to encourage my interest in baseball got me more packs of cards, and then came home one day with a Cabbage patch doll wearing what she thought was a dodger uniform.....except I noticed the orange piping and mets script (which my mom thought was a dodger sponsor since European Soccer teams wear sponsors rather than team names on their jersey).

I was initially upset about this, but the first baseball game I ever actually saw on TV was the Mets vs. the Astros in the playoffs (I don't remember seeing a dodger game on TV for some reason) and when my Mom asked me who I was rooting for I turned to her and shouted with enthusiasm "THE METS"!

Seems I jumped on the bandwagon just in time....LOL
    I remember the excitement in watching them and they WON!!!
    LETS GO METS I thought at the time was the coolest chant (still do of course).

I moved to NYC to live with my Grandparents on my Dad's side in the summer of 1987. Though I still had a soft spot for the Dodgers, and my Grandfather who grew up in NYC during the depression as a Yankees fan rooting on Joe Dimaggio as all the Italian kids in his day did, I became passionate about anything Mets.

I went to my first baseball game at Shea on June 30th 1988 and it was Mets vs. Astros!
    Darryl Strawberry hit the first home run I ever saw and Bobby Ojeda got the win. Seeing that beautiful glowing green field for the first time coming out of the tunnel in the Mezzanine section is something I'll never forget....It was love at first sight.

That soft spot for the Dodgers died a quick death in October 1988, and to this day I can't look at the Angels Manager with out the words MIKE %*#(%! Scioscia rattling about in my head.

LETS GO METS!!!
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Comment

My dad was a Dodgers fan growing up as a kid. Since he obviously was a Yankees-hater (they were just too good), he couldn't possibly become a Yankees fan even though his beloved Dodgers moved to the West Coast. He adopted the Mets, and passed the die-hard genes unto my older brother and I.
      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
      ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

My entire family with the exception of my brother, and a cousin are all Yankee fans. All my Uncles, my Dad, my other brother, and all other relatives root for the Yankees.
        Then why do I root for the Mets? I blame my brother whom I shared a room and a bunk bed growing up with who would tell me tales of Willie, and Jerry, and George Thomas, and Gil. I would hang around my oldest brother whom I shared a room with and his best friend was also a Mets fan, so I kinda grew up around tales of the Mets. My first game was 1983, my cousin took me. It was Daryl's rookie year, and I vividly remember him hitting a HR, and the Mets winning. I grew up with the early 80's Mets, which made 1986 even more special. I have never looked back.
        I wish the team would repay the love someday again...
        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Just reading the beautiful "Can't anybody here play this game?" by Jimmy Breslin. I especially love this:
          "This is the team for the cab driver who gets held up and the guy who loses out on a promotion because he didn't maneuver himself to lunch with the boss enough. It is the team for every guy who has to get out of bed in the morning and go to work for short money on a job he does not like. And it is the team for every woman who looks up ten years later and sees her husband eating dinner in a T-shirt and wonders how the hell she ever let this guy talk her into getting married. The Yankees? Who does well enough to root for them, Laurence Rockefeller?"

Lovely...
          Last edited by DarioMet; 04-12-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

idn how i became a fan. i know looking at pics when i was a baby the first team i wore was yankees cuz my my moms side of the family is all yankee fans going way back. then my parents brought me alot of mets stuff when i was a kid and as i got older. my dad brought me and my brothers to our first baseball game back in 1999 which was the mets vs pirates turn ahead the clock game. i always liked the mets since then but not like an avid fan. around 2004ish my dads side of the family and my grandfather on my moms side "transformed" me into a yankee fan for awhile bcause they were good and the mets were garbage at the time and i didnt really watch baseball, a shameful time in my life lol. I never really liked the yankees because it just didnt feel right and in 2005 i went back to the mets were i belonged but i didnt follow the games and in 2006 i watched every game from ST gm 1 to NLCS gm 7 and have been a huge mets fan since. i watch every game i can and record every game on a schedule. i would like to get to more mets games but i fully support the mets from home every day. the mets will be my team for the rest of my life, theres no more switching. besides theres something about the loveable losers that draws me to them, the colors, the uniforms, the stadium (rip shea), the players, the little borther of NYC staus, everything about them draws me to them.
            Lets Go Mets, Jets, Islanders !!!

Comment

It runs on the family. My grandfather was a die-hard Dodgers fan while they were still dodging trolleys. When they moved, he sulked. My father stopped liking the business of the game. But neither could resist when that new NL team came along with the prospect of playing on the World's Fair grounds.

I was born in Flushing, four days before Shea's first game. My folks moved "out on the island" mid-season '65. The Mets just became a natural for me.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Great thread.

Born in '79 in Flushing Hospital. My dad was a White Sox fan since he was a kid, but my older Brother was a Mets fan and my dad liked the idea of me rooting for a team that i could watch and go to see play regularly. So while I liked the White Sox, the Mets were always my first team. Growing up in Jackson Heights we hit alot of games in my youth. I am very proud of being from Queens and the Mets are more a Queens team than a NY team to me.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X