X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jbutta29
    replied
    Great thread.

Born in '79 in Flushing Hospital. My dad was a White Sox fan since he was a kid, but my older Brother was a Mets fan and my dad liked the idea of me rooting for a team that i could watch and go to see play regularly. So while I liked the White Sox, the Mets were always my first team. Growing up in Jackson Heights we hit alot of games in my youth. I am very proud of being from Queens and the Mets are more a Queens team than a NY team to me.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    It runs on the family. My grandfather was a die-hard Dodgers fan while they were still dodging trolleys. When they moved, he sulked. My father stopped liking the business of the game. But neither could resist when that new NL team came along with the prospect of playing on the World's Fair grounds.

I was born in Flushing, four days before Shea's first game. My folks moved "out on the island" mid-season '65. The Mets just became a natural for me.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarPunk2512
    replied
    idn how i became a fan. i know looking at pics when i was a baby the first team i wore was yankees cuz my my moms side of the family is all yankee fans going way back. then my parents brought me alot of mets stuff when i was a kid and as i got older. my dad brought me and my brothers to our first baseball game back in 1999 which was the mets vs pirates turn ahead the clock game. i always liked the mets since then but not like an avid fan. around 2004ish my dads side of the family and my grandfather on my moms side "transformed" me into a yankee fan for awhile bcause they were good and the mets were garbage at the time and i didnt really watch baseball, a shameful time in my life lol. I never really liked the yankees because it just didnt feel right and in 2005 i went back to the mets were i belonged but i didnt follow the games and in 2006 i watched every game from ST gm 1 to NLCS gm 7 and have been a huge mets fan since. i watch every game i can and record every game on a schedule. i would like to get to more mets games but i fully support the mets from home every day. the mets will be my team for the rest of my life, theres no more switching. besides theres something about the loveable losers that draws me to them, the colors, the uniforms, the stadium (rip shea), the players, the little borther of NYC staus, everything about them draws me to them.

Leave a comment:

• DarioMet
    replied
    Just reading the beautiful "Can't anybody here play this game?" by Jimmy Breslin. I especially love this:
    "This is the team for the cab driver who gets held up and the guy who loses out on a promotion because he didn't maneuver himself to lunch with the boss enough. It is the team for every guy who has to get out of bed in the morning and go to work for short money on a job he does not like. And it is the team for every woman who looks up ten years later and sees her husband eating dinner in a T-shirt and wonders how the hell she ever let this guy talk her into getting married. The Yankees? Who does well enough to root for them, Laurence Rockefeller?"

Lovely...
    Last edited by DarioMet; 04-12-2009, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    My entire family with the exception of my brother, and a cousin are all Yankee fans. All my Uncles, my Dad, my other brother, and all other relatives root for the Yankees.
    Then why do I root for the Mets? I blame my brother whom I shared a room and a bunk bed growing up with who would tell me tales of Willie, and Jerry, and George Thomas, and Gil. I would hang around my oldest brother whom I shared a room with and his best friend was also a Mets fan, so I kinda grew up around tales of the Mets. My first game was 1983, my cousin took me. It was Daryl's rookie year, and I vividly remember him hitting a HR, and the Mets winning. I grew up with the early 80's Mets, which made 1986 even more special. I have never looked back.
    I wish the team would repay the love someday again...

Leave a comment:

• moebarguy
    replied
    My dad was a Dodgers fan growing up as a kid. Since he obviously was a Yankees-hater (they were just too good), he couldn't possibly become a Yankees fan even though his beloved Dodgers moved to the West Coast. He adopted the Mets, and passed the die-hard genes unto my older brother and I.

Leave a comment:

• StrawberryField
    replied
    I was 8 years old in 1986 living with my mom in Los Angeles and i remember for no particular reason wanting some topps baseball cards I saw at the super market. My mom bought me a pack. I vividly remember getting a Fernando Valenzuela card with the LA on his hat and my favorite color being blue and declaring myself a Dodger fan.

Mind you my Mom and Step Dad are Europeans so baseball is completely foreign to them, but my mom wanting to encourage my interest in baseball got me more packs of cards, and then came home one day with a Cabbage patch doll wearing what she thought was a dodger uniform.....except I noticed the orange piping and mets script (which my mom thought was a dodger sponsor since European Soccer teams wear sponsors rather than team names on their jersey).

I was initially upset about this, but the first baseball game I ever actually saw on TV was the Mets vs. the Astros in the playoffs (I don't remember seeing a dodger game on TV for some reason) and when my Mom asked me who I was rooting for I turned to her and shouted with enthusiasm "THE METS"!

Seems I jumped on the bandwagon just in time....LOL
    I remember the excitement in watching them and they WON!!!
    LETS GO METS I thought at the time was the coolest chant (still do of course).

I moved to NYC to live with my Grandparents on my Dad's side in the summer of 1987. Though I still had a soft spot for the Dodgers, and my Grandfather who grew up in NYC during the depression as a Yankees fan rooting on Joe Dimaggio as all the Italian kids in his day did, I became passionate about anything Mets.

I went to my first baseball game at Shea on June 30th 1988 and it was Mets vs. Astros!
    Darryl Strawberry hit the first home run I ever saw and Bobby Ojeda got the win. Seeing that beautiful glowing green field for the first time coming out of the tunnel in the Mezzanine section is something I'll never forget....It was love at first sight.

That soft spot for the Dodgers died a quick death in October 1988, and to this day I can't look at the Angels Manager with out the words MIKE %*#(%! Scioscia rattling about in my head.

LETS GO METS!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Heredity, I guess. My father was a Mets fan and had been a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. His father was a small business owner in Brooklyn and was very friendly with Dodgers players and was, of course, a fan also. In those days, players were part of the community; it's hard to imagine now.

There's a fine picture of me at 3 years of age, standing with my father in front of Shea, which I enjoy looking at sometimes. Shea looked magnificent. I always took offense at those that would badmouth that beautiful ballpark.

When I was 9, my best friend and his brother and father were Yankees fans, and there was the temptation to go the wrong way, but I remained stalwart.

I like the image that the Mets traditionally had: the anti-Yankees; the underdog. This made it especially satisfying when they would win and added a special shine to their mid-80s run.

As you all know, it hasn't always been easy, but the peaks have more than made up for the valleys.

Leave a comment:

• The Fonz
    replied
    my grandfather was a NY Giants fan, then when they left town, and the mets moved in, he became fan of theirs. Then years, years, later, i just followed the tradition and became raised as a mets fan.

Leave a comment:

• DarioMet
    replied
    Here in Milan, Italy, there are 2 big and worldwide famous soccer teams, Milan and Inter. I support Inter, despite the lack of important wins in the last decades. I love New York and I love underdogs. I loved the epic saga of the 1969 Miracle Mets. So, here I am, a Met fan. No doubt about my choice

Leave a comment:

• JerseeJerry55
    replied
    Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
    I'm interested in the hows and whys for people becoming Mets fans, perhaps or in particular, versus becoming Yankee fans.

For me the Murcer Yankees were just uninteresting to my little kid mind wheras the Mets had Tom Seaver, Rusty Staub, Cleon Jones, and perhaps most important, Willie Mays. Then along came 1973 and the deal was sealed.
    May 24, 1970 I was 8 years old, and went there with my Cub Scout troop from Levittown LI. Cubs @ Mets scheduled double dip (ironically May 24th is my oldest son's birthday), and I was hooked from then on. As I always say being a Mets fan is more of a disease than anything else

Leave a comment:

• Anthony
    replied
    My dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, so like many of them, switching to the Mets was easy. One of my earliest memories is a game at Shea Stadium. It must have been 1972 (I was 4 1/2) as Tommy Agee was still playing for the Mets (he was my favorite player back then) but Gil Hodges had just died (I remember my mother being very sad).

Leave a comment:

• LostMet
    replied
    I was 7 and I liked the uniforms. When my aunt took me to see a Yankees Twins game in 1967, it was a gray day and a boring game. The Mets just seemed "brighter" and more fun to a little kid. I also liked the blue and orange tiles on the Stadium when we went past Shea on the way to visit my Aunt who lived in Forest Hills. What can I say?

Leave a comment:

• metsforever7515
    replied
    My grandma was a Dodger fan who lived in Queens up until 1958. Her house was a 15 minute walk to Shea, and is now a 15 minute walk to Citi. So she passed the fanhood down to my father (who really wasn't into baseball until I got into it in '06). I've been a lifelong Mets fan but I really got into it in '06 when the Mets started to dominate.

Leave a comment:

• Brooklyn
    replied
    My dad grew up in Brooklyn in the 50's It was always obvious to me how he was a Dodgers fan, but never occurred to me until this very second to ask how his brother (my uncle) became a Yankees fan. I'm guessing he was swayed by all the Championships.

Whether it was his brother being a Yankees fan or the Yankees constantly beating the Dodgers, my father always had a strong dislike for anything Yankees, which he past on to me.

My father was one of the few Dodgers fans to continue to follow them when they went to the west coast. When I was growing up in NJ in the 70's and 80's, the only way to watch out of market teams were the Saturday game of the week, or when they played the Mets or Phillies. I remember when I was young if the Dodgers were on Saturday, it was an event in my house. and we'd always go to at least one game each time the Dodgers were at Shea.

He also rooted for the Mets, mostly because he loved baseball and wanted a local team to root for. Growing up, I was a fan of both the Dodgers and Mets, but over time it became easier to follow the local team, and my alligence was purely to the Mets.

To answer the original question of how I chose the Mets over the Yankees, rooting for the Yankees was never an option for me

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X