Delgado in 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delgado in 2010

When you consider the dearth of quality free agent 1B on the market next winter, plus the expense in talent to add one via trade, I think there is a strong possibility the Mets will be happy to resign Delgado after the 2009 season. Plus, if he hits 30 HRs, with 100+ RBIs and a .275+ AVG...it's almost a no-brainer.

Some fans will suggest moving Murphy to 1B - and if the Mets don't resign Delgado it would be a possibility - but Murphy is not necessarily a better 1Bman than Delgado who despite a lack of range does have good hands.

Also, I believe the Mets will trade Fernando Martinez this summer in part to acquire a #2 starter. I think (hope) Roy Halladay will be a Met by the trade deadline. If Martinez is traded, the need to make room for him in the OF is negated.

really depends on how Delgado does this year, way to early to be thinking about 2010

Comment

Originally posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
      Also, I believe the Mets will trade Fernando Martinez this summer in part to acquire a #2 starter. I think (hope) Roy Halladay will be a Met by the trade deadline. If Martinez is traded, the need to make room for him in the OF is negated.
      Second, the only way the Mets would trade for Halladay is if Santana gets injured. Assuming the Blue Jays even put him on the block.

-------------
      To answer the question of Delgado, I think you have to let him walk. Better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late. The 2010 1B free agents, for lack of a better word, suck. After Delgado, the only good option is Aubrey Huff. He's mostly DH'd the past few years and, outside of last season, his OBP is too low for my liking.

Trading options seem very limited. While it's a pretty big stretch, Cubs might shop Derrek Lee. He has a no-trade clause and is making $13M. The Cubs need to become less righty heavy. If Micah Hoffpauir has a solid season (he's a bit old but has put up good numbers in AAA) they may look to trade Lee. Of course he'd have to be compensated to waive his no-trade clause and you would have to give something up unless the Cubs looked at it as a salary dump.

There is a chance the Cubs look at it as a salary dump because they have $12.10M in increases to some of their players next year; that's not counting arbitration either. By trading Lee, they would have about the same payroll as they do now (could be more or less depending on what they do with Harden and Gregg).

For the Mets, Lee would be a good aquistion. He'd only be 1 year, cheaper than signing a OF like Holliday or Guerrero (who they should stay away from). While he isn't a 30+ HR threat, he would balance the lineup more and provides solid defense.

There is Xavier Nady. He's a Boras client so he'll be overpaid. Despite his somewhat fan-favorite status, I never really bought it. He was a decent platoon OF but not much more. He's also not played a lot of 1B the past 2 seasons and, like Swisher, is better in the OF. Maybe he'd take less to come back if he liked it here, I don't know.

So, the Mets will have to be creative. They do have some guys in the minors who could play 1B like Ike Davis. They could move Murphy there and sign a big LF like Holliday. I think it would be best to let Delgado go but if they don't want to sign Holliday and the Cubs want to keep Lee, then Delgado may be the best option.
      Last edited by NYMets523; 04-11-2009, 11:43 AM.
      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
        First, no team is going to want Tatis in a deal for a top starter.
        I stopped reading right here. Who mentioned Tatis? No one. When you fix your post, I'll read the rest.
        Last edited by ReyesOfHope; 04-10-2009, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooklyn View Post
          really depends on how Delgado does this year, way to early to be thinking about 2010
          Sorry if you think it is too early. My post dealt with a number of immediate factors including the fact that the Mets will need pitching this summer, talent will be expended to make a deal, and that leaves Delgado as the most likely and viable option next winter. There are very few - if any - quality FA 1Bmen next winter.

Comment

Sorry if you think it is too early. My post dealt with a number of immediate factors including the fact that the Mets will need pitching this summer, talent will be expended to make a deal, and that leaves Delgado as the most likely and viable option next winter. There are very few - if any - quality FA 1Bmen next winter.
            If Halliday becomes availbale this summer, you have to go after him. But if he doesn't, who else are you looking at?

Comment

I'm completely down to trade Fernando Martinez for a top-line starter, but Martinez has shown very little prove that 1) he can stay healthy and 2) that's he's really worth the "blue chip" status (his .271/.335/.377 line in Double-A isn't exactly drool-worthy). I hope that he can muster together a good season in the minors so we can deal him for a starting pitcher, because Minaya forgot to add one during the off-season.
              ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
              ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

I stopped reading right here. Who mentioned Tatis? No one. When you fix your post, I'll read the rest.
                Fixed it. I have dyslexia and read Tatis.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X