X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets Hall of Fame will be displayed at Citi Field - Newsday

Mets Hall of Fame will be displayed at Citi Field - Newsday

April 16, 2009

With complaints rising that Citi Field lacks a significant " Mets presence," team chairman Fred Wilpon said Wednesday that the team would establish a Mets Hall of Fame, most likely in centerfield at Citi Field.

"We're intending to have a Mets Hall of Fame," Wilpon said after the dedication of the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. "We haven't put it into practice. We'll have a Mets Hall of Fame, Mets memorabilia. Things of that nature."

At Shea Stadium, the Mets had a team Hall of Fame display in its Diamond Club. Asked where the new display would be, Wilpon said, "We haven't really exactly said where it's going to be. We think it's going to be out in the food court, where so many people will get to see it."

The items from the Shea Stadium Mets Hall of Fame exhibit are currently in storage. -- KEN DAVIDOFF
    Last edited by Ashburn1; 04-18-2009, 02:11 PM.
    "You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church." - Bill Spaceman Lee

Predictably, Coupon had to be shamed into it; he seems to care little about baseball and less about Mets baseball. It's unfortunate he won't be able to retrofit the new ballpark with decent sight lines as easily.

Nearer and dearer to his heart though, Aramark has been setting records for the amount of overpriced food sold.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 04-17-2009, 01:57 PM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Bitter

Why is everyone so bitter? Do you really think that the Wilpons don't care about the Mets or their fans? They are in business to make money and if people are going to spend $10 for a hot dog, well then god bless them for making a buck. Here's a novel idea, if they are too expensive, don't buy them. You can just not go to the game or watch the game, but if some people are willing to pay for these things then why should be shame them for making money. People take chances and spend money to try and make money and people seem to criticize them for that.
      Visit my brand new website - New York Mets Fans Forums. We're just getting started

http://www.metsfansforums.com/forums

Comment

Originally posted by bigjim1023 View Post
        Why is everyone so bitter? Do you really think that the Wilpons don't care about the Mets or their fans? They are in business to make money and if people are going to spend $10 for a hot dog, well then god bless them for making a buck. Here's a novel idea, if they are too expensive, don't buy them. You can just not go to the game or watch the game, but if some people are willing to pay for these things then why should be shame them for making money. People take chances and spend money to try and make money and people seem to criticize them for that.
        The subject of this thread is something that's bothered a lot of people about the Wilpons for a long time: that they're lousy custodians of their teams history and legacy. They just don't seem to have much pride in or connection to 47 years of proud New York Mets history.

Traditions like Banner Day and Old Timer's Day that connected young fans of the team to the past are gone. The strong feeling that the team had a different persona and corporate culture than the Yankees is gone.

The problem isn't so much the price of the hot dogs, it's the fact that the hot dogs seem like much more of a priority than celebrating what makes the Mets special, and why we're going to the ballpark in the first place.

The result is a ballpark that has horrible, view obstructing staircases in the Promenade section, presumably to help make room for more points of purchase on the concourse there. The result is a ballpark clogged with places to buy $10 hot dogs and other such nonsense, but no room for a Mets Hall of Fame.

Comment

It does feel as if they dont care about the Mets the way the fans do. I mean even the ROYALS have a hall of fame, we get an entire portion of our building dedicated to a player who while great, never even played for our team. I wonder if the Marlins will build a shrine to the Braves cause thats the team most Floridians rooted for before the marlins existed...

I appreciate the new stadium, I do not appreciate the lack of pride they seem to show for the teams of the Mets past.

also just throwing it near the food court is not good enough, I am sorry, also dont get me started on the placement of the original apple...that should have been in the center of the new entrance...
          Last edited by Jbutta29; 04-18-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            The result is a ballpark that has horrible, view obstructing staircases in the Promenade section, presumably to help make room for more points of purchase on the concourse there. The result is a ballpark clogged with places to buy $10 hot dogs and other such nonsense, but no room for a Mets Hall of Fame.
            The ballpark is horrible? Have you been there? How many ballparks have you built? I understand that there are certain things that might not be perfect, but would you rather be at Shea Stadium? Do you remember what a dump that was? There was nothing nice about Shea other than the memories that each of us had growing up. I have great memories of Shea, but i couldn't wait for them to take it down. It was big, old and the hot dogs were expensive there too.

I agree with your points about taking away some of the tradition that many fans remember, but you have to remember one thing, the Wilpons and the other partners built this stadium with their money. Let's not forget that. If the fans decide not attend the games who is out the money? I believe that would be the Wilpons. We are all fans of the team, but we do not own the team, as fans we are not capable of making the tough bottom line decisions that ownership needs to make. Fans think with their hearts and not their heads.

Bottom line is the ballpark is a vast improvement from Shea Stadium. There are some things that need to be fixed and some things need to be worked out - kind of like when you build a new house. It just goes with the territory. My only point was that maybe we can all see the positives and not focus so much on the negative. For someone to say that the new ballpark is horrible, i just don't understand how you can say something like that. I just don't think that there is a way to please some people.

That's just how i feel.
            Visit my brand new website - New York Mets Fans Forums. We're just getting started

Comment

The result is a ballpark that has horrible, view obstructing staircases in the Promenade section,
              Those staircases do not obstruct ANY views; there are NO seats behind them.

I really don't have an opinion on it. I'd like one but considering what was in the Diamond Club, anything they build is an improvement. As a Met fan, I know the team's history. I do not need to go see something in CF to learn. I also go to see a ball game, not a museum.
              Last edited by NYMets523; 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM.
              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

I agree that the new ballpark is anything but horrible. But I also disagree with the fact that Shea was that bad also, I understand from many standpoints it wasnt the glossiest or most streamlined but for alot of fans (again this is all subject to opinion) that was Sheas charm. I look forward to going to the new stadium and anticipate it being great, but I also feel like they missed out on alot of opportunities to to impliment little "mets" things here and there that would have quieted some of the fans are clamoring for. Overall though its out of our hands. I just personally feel like this "hall of fame" should have been what the rotunda was all about, instead of Jackie Robinson. All due respect to Mr. Robinson and his accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                  Those staircases do not obstruct ANY views; there are NO seats behind them.
                  You’d said this on another thread and I didn’t call you on it, but I will now. You’re wrong.

There are many obstructed view seats in the new ballpark.

Please refer to post 18520 on the Citi Field Construction thread in the Ballparks, Stadiums & Green Diamonds forum and various other points throughout that thread:

Originally posted by Dishy24 View Post
                  My friend (ticket partner) is at Citi Field right now. Sitting in my HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, OBSTRUCTED view seats. I just LOST MY MIND on my rep (my friend handed him the phone)-- I am always very polite to him-- I don't know if it's the pain I am in or all of the Perocet & Dilaudid in me, but I LOST IT.

I have been trying to get in to see my seats since the tours began. Even prior to that (a few months back) when I heard rumors of obstructions, I called him. He ASSURED me "I've sat in YOUR EXACT seats... you're going to love them."

Well, according to my friend-- they are just awful-- forget the railing-- but the landing for the stairwell is directly in front of my end seat.

I swear to God, I am about to have a nervous breakdown or kill someone.

Originally posted by metsforever7515 View Post
                  Dishy sent me the pictures of her seats:

I guess you're in error.

Aside from these horrible obstructions, you can't see both outfield corners from most of the seats in the ballpark. Throw in the 35,000 affordable seats of Loge and Mezzanine being compressed into the 15,000 of Promenade so Coupon could play scalper, and you have a ballpark that's represents a step down from Shea in many important ways.

I will admit, though, there seem to be many more places to buy overpriced hot dogs, and most of them seem to have T.V.s... So I guess it is possible to get a good view of the field from those vantage points at "Citi Field", at least.

Comment

You’d said this on another thread and I didn’t call you on it, but I will now. You’re wrong.
                    Wow, a glass panel and a metal rail. BFD. There were people walking in front of seats at Shea, too.

Aside from these horrible obstructions, you can't see both outfield corners from most of the seats in the ballpark.
                    The most that aren't visible is one. This is the case at every ballpark.

Throw in the 35,000 affordable seats of Loge and Mezzanine being compressed into the 15,000 of Promenade so Coupon could play scalper, and you have a ballpark that's represents a step down from Shea in many important ways.
                    Shea was a dump. Those seats were cheap but they were all the way in the nosebleed section. Sitting in the Promenade at Citi is like where the blue seats were at Shea.

Your irrational hatred of Wilpon has spawned an irrational hatred of Citi Field. Shea Stadium was awful. It is great that we have a ballpark that is actually worth going to.
                    Last edited by NYMets523; 04-19-2009, 09:46 AM.
                    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                      Wow, a glass panel and a metal rail. BFD.

The most that aren't visible is one. This is the case at every ballpark.

Shea was a dump. Those seats were cheap but they were all the way in the nosebleed section. Sitting in the Promenade at Citi is like where the blue seats were at Shea.

Your irrational hatred of Wilpon has spawned an irrational hatred of Citi Field. Shea Stadium was awful. It is great that we have a ballpark that is actually worth going to.
                      BFD? Well it was obviously a BFD to the season ticket holder that was livid about those seats. It was also a BFD to the ticket rep who sat in those seats, agreed with her complaints and wound up moving her seats elsewhere.

What can I say? Photographic evidence and first hand accounts prove you wrong.

Also, you know nothing about Shea: the blue seats were Loge; Promenade is the equivalent of Upper Deck, while the Promenade Boxes are the equivalent of high Mezzanine.

The points I've made about why I think Wilpon is a lousy custodian of the Mets legacy have been clearly articulated and backed up with reasons and evidence. You might disagree but I don't think they could be called irrational.

Meanwhile every point you've raised to dispute what I've said has been wrong or false - which is the mark of an irrational argument.

Comment

BFD? Well it was obviously a BFD to the season ticket holder that was livid about those seats. It was also a BFD to the ticket rep who sat in those seats, agreed with her complaints and wound up moving her seats elsewhere.
                        I guess you didn't read this part of their post:
                        "I don't know if it's the pain I am in or all of the Perocet & Dilaudid in me, but I LOST IT."

Also, you know nothing about Shea: the blue seats were Loge; Promenade is the equivalent of Upper Deck, while the Promenade Boxes are the equivalent of high Mezzanine.
                        I don't really care what the name of the blue section was. The seats in the Promenade are better than some of the Lodge seats at all of the Mezzanine.

The points I've made about why I think Wilpon is a lousy custodian of the Mets legacy have been clearly articulated and backed up with reasons and evidence. You might disagree but I don't think they could be called irrational.

Meanwhile every point you've raised to dispute what I've said has been wrong or false - which is the mark of an irrational argument.
                        You wanted them to demolish Citi Field and rebuild the dump known as Shea. I don't know how you can get more irrational than that.

Comment

BFD?

At least your not bitter or angry about this whole thing. The ballpark has a few kinks to work out but if you look at the big picture it's a major improvement to Shea.

I don't think that Shea is coming back, actually I know it's not coming back so we all need to get used to our new home. Once they get the few problems worked out what are you going to complain about?

If you hate the Wilpons so much go find another team to root for. In case you didn't notice the Mets aren't exactly a storied franchise. I love the Mets more than any other sports team, but I would be lying if I said the Mets had an amazing tradition of winning. I look forward to making new memories, better memories at the new home. To me Shea is a distant memory of some tough times. Just take a look back to the last game there...and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Let's just root for our favorite team and be happy that we don't live in Pittsburgh or Kansas City. Everything is expensive here so we should be used to it.

Let's Go Mets! I hope everyone checks out my new website. I love the spirited debate :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jbutta29 View Post
                            I agree that the new ballpark is anything but horrible. But I also disagree with the fact that Shea was that bad also, I understand from many standpoints it wasnt the glossiest or most streamlined but for alot of fans (again this is all subject to opinion) that was Sheas charm. I look forward to going to the new stadium and anticipate it being great, but I also feel like they missed out on alot of opportunities to to impliment little "mets" things here and there that would have quieted some of the fans are clamoring for. Overall though its out of our hands. I just personally feel like this "hall of fame" should have been what the rotunda was all about, instead of Jackie Robinson. All due respect to Mr. Robinson and his accomplishments.
                            Thank you JButta! I'm 31 years old went to my first game at Shea in 1988 at 10 years old and to me it was the most beautiful thing I'd seen. I always loved Shea for it's simplicity, and no bones approach....you went to watch baseball and have a great time. I remember the Shea bashing really started in my teens and was confused by this sudden bandwaggon of Shea is a dump. Maybe it was me coming of age and people always thought this way, but I always thought it was unwarranted. The field was always beautiful and green and though they called it a cookie cutter, I always felt it was actually very unique. You could always tell it was Shea no matter what...I can't say the same of other places.
                            New York (N.L.)
                            1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
                            1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Comment

Originally posted by bigjim1023 View Post
                              At least your not bitter or angry about this whole thing. The ballpark has a few kinks to work out but if you look at the big picture it's a major improvement to Shea.

I don't think that Shea is coming back, actually I know it's not coming back so we all need to get used to our new home. Once they get the few problems worked out what are you going to complain about?

If you hate the Wilpons so much go find another team to root for. In case you didn't notice the Mets aren't exactly a storied franchise. I love the Mets more than any other sports team, but I would be lying if I said the Mets had an amazing tradition of winning. I look forward to making new memories, better memories at the new home. To me Shea is a distant memory of some tough times. Just take a look back to the last game there...and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Let's just root for our favorite team and be happy that we don't live in Pittsburgh or Kansas City. Everything is expensive here so we should be used to it.
                              1) We're not talking about kinks. A reduction in affordable seating by 20,000 is not a kink. Those horrible staircases to make more room for points of purchase instead of proper portals like other ballparks is not a kink. The lousy sight lines throughout the ballpark are not a kink. Those are all major endemic flaws in the stadium that will be hard to fix short of building a new one.

2) Wilpon is not the Mets. Wilpon is not a Mets tradition. He usurped a 50% share of ownership from Doubleday back in 1986, and took over a few years ago after much acrimony between them. I was a Mets fan long before the Wilpons materialized and hope to be there after they depart.

3) The subject of this thread is the fact that in a stadium with a Jackie Robinson Rotunda, tons of stuff named after the Brooklyn Dodgers, tons of space for selling overpriced garbage, etc. Wilpon had to be shamed into finding room in the stadium for a small token area remembering Mets history.

This allocation of resources further backs up a sentiment that I've long held: that Wilpon really couldn't care less about the Mets. He's mostly in it for the money. I guess that's his right, but as a Mets fan I don't have to like it; that's my right.

By the way, to Strawberry Field: the Shea bashing was part of a Wilpon generated P.R. offensive to get a new stadium. Shea was a fine place and a new stadium was not an urgent priority. $850 million mostly public dollars later, there are 20,000 less affordable seats and lousier sight lines - but Wilpon got his extra luxury boxes and additional retail area, so he's happy.

You'll find a similar phenomenon in all the recent attention being paid to the blue collar businesses across 126th Street in Willets Point. Over 45 years of Mets baseball in Flushing, few noticed or cared about that area, but as soon as Wilpon decided he wanted eminent domain declared on those people and their land confiscated to build a $3 billion "baseball neighborhood" all the Wilpon Zombie People have started piping up about how "the Iron Triangle's" been a blight on Mets baseball since 1964.

What a coincidence.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X