Our Mets Hall of Fame referendum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Mets Hall of Fame referendum

Okay, I'm going to try to clear some of the issues we've had with the Mets Hall of fame voting up once and for all. Popular vote decides each of these points...I believe this will be the most democratic way to sort out some of the issues we've had.

Voting ends April 23rd at 10:00 PM, unless you vote to extend voting to the 27th.

Please select one of the choices in each of the following questions.

1) What should we do with the "none of the above" option?

a) Get rid of it altogether.
    b) Keep it, but make people explain their choice.

2) Should we continue to require that people explain each of their votes?

a) Yes.
    b) No.

3) Should we allow people to continue to consider a player's career with the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants as well (although to a lesser extent than their Mets' career)?

a) Yes.
    b) No.

4) Should we extend the voting on this referendum to the 27th of April?

a) Yes. If yes, the changes determined by this referendum (if there are any) will be put in place during election 21.
    b) No. If no, the changes determined by this referendum (if there are any) will be put in place during election 20.

And to make sure we don't get any rabblerousers, trolls or hoolians in here who just want to skew the vote, the votes of those who have voted in two or more elections will count.

"1) What should we do with the "none of the above" option?

b) Keep it, but make people explain their choice."

I'll take B. What happens when you have the 1993 ballot?

"2) Should we continue to require that people explain each of their votes?

a) Yes.
    b) No."

Absolutely. This way, we weed out the people who just have some passing thoughts as well as completely inexplicable votes, like when a person has only voted for Nolan Ryan (which has happened twice now) or votes for Bobby Valentine (as a player!), but not Jesse Orosco.

"3) Should we allow people to continue to consider a player's career with the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants as well (although to a lesser extent than their Mets' career)?

a) Yes.
    b) No."

Yes. Guys like Charley Neal and Joe Pignatano weren't that great with the Dodgers in the first place (although Joe made a great coach, and I do mean great).

"4) Should we extend the voting on this referendum to the 27th of April?

a) Yes. If yes, the changes determined by this referendum (if there are any) will be put in place during election 21.
    b) No. If no, the changes determined by this referendum (if there are any) will be put in place during election 20."

No. Don't extend the voting.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

b) No.

I'm inclined to say yes, but essentially then it comes down to the same five or six people, (present company excluded) which makes it sort of the "three people in the room" situtaion. Not everyone has the time or inclination to post.

3) Should we allow people to continue to consider a player's career with the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants as well (although to a lesser extent than their Mets' career)?

b) No.

This is a Mets HOF.

Comment

1) None Of The Above ought to go. A

2) It's difficult and time consuming to type a big essay if you choose more than one or two candidates. Enforcing this rule would probably discourage votes, so... B

Or you could choose option number 3, which is to give regular voters exemptions from having to do this if they've proven not to be "trolls", but requiring non-regular voters to explain weird votes such as those Dalkowski mentioned.

3) B

4) B

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

"Or you could choose option number 3, which is to give regular voters exemptions from having to do this if they've proven not to be "trolls", but requiring non-regular voters to explain weird votes such as those Dalkowski mentioned."

This is a good idea. However, what I would like to do is each time a new player comes onto the ballot, to explain the reasoning behind that player. We all know why I've been vociferously campaigning for Skip Lockwood. We all know why you and whoisonit have campaigned for Ed Glynn. Perhaps if someone has already stated their intentions in at least three elections in the past, they get a pass from having to post about their repeat votes? Also, we should employ common sense for gag votes...if someone votes for Nolan Ryan and then explains "I voted for him to screw up the rest of the poll" or "I voted for Nolan Ryan because I've never heard of the rest of these guys," then I would think a vote like that should be nullified.
          Last edited by Dalkowski110; 04-21-2009, 12:29 PM.
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

hey guys, I just got the message to explain my votes.

I'll try and remember who I voted for and why, but rest assured, i wouldn't vote for someone I felt didn't deserve to be voted for.
            New York (N.L.)
            1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
            1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Comment

StrawberryField, if you click on the numbers in that particular poll, it will show you who voted for which players.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post

a) Yes.

b) No.
                I didn't know we were doing that. The vote should be strictly what a player's importance was to our Mets franchise.

b) No.
                Let's just get'er done.

Comment

"I didn't know we were doing that. The vote should be strictly what a player's importance was to our Mets franchise."

I kinda think we're doing that because of Willie Mays/his unique impact on New York NL baseball and how celebrated his comeback was.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
                    "I didn't know we were doing that. The vote should be strictly what a player's importance was to our Mets franchise."

I kinda think we're doing that because of Willie Mays/his unique impact on New York NL baseball and how celebrated his comeback was.
                    I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. My vote for Mays was based on what he meant to the NY Mets and their history, their reason for existing. How he, in a sense, completed the transition from the past to a new team. His is a unique case and different by far from a guy like Duke Snider or Gil Hodges as a player.

Comment

"I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me."

Disagreeing.

"My vote for Mays was based on what he meant to the NY Mets and their history, their reason for existing. How he, in a sense, completed the transition from the past to a new team."

As was mine. However, no matter how unique his case is/was, a ruling of Dodger/Giant careers as being something you can't look at would seem to eliminate him, no matter how unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post

... no matter how unique his case is/was, a ruling of Dodger/Giant careers as being something you can't look at would seem to eliminate him, no matter how unique.
                        Have to disagree with that assesment as the ruling still leaves the door wide open for Mays. He's not getting my vote because of stats with another team. He falls into the same catagory as Marv Thronberry: an iconic figure in orange and blue, someone who made the Mets the Mets. Not all my votes are about a guy being "great" or attaining some perverted "monument park worthiness" standard. There's a Metness to my votes that far exceeds the self-loathing, yankee envy of others standard of greatness.
                        :gt

Comment

My vote (because there is an even number of voters right now):

a) Yes.
                          b) No.

As proven by election 19, some people just won't explain their votes. Having to alter the vote totals each time just because someone didn't explain their vote diminishes some of the credibility of the Hall of Fame election process.

a) Yes.
                          b) No.

whoisonit changed my opinion.

b) No. If no, the changes determined by this referendum (if there are any) will be put in place during election 20.

Comment

The results are in and it looks like option "B" won out on all of them...

1) A: 1 B: 4
                            2) A: 2 B: 3
                            3) A: 1 B: 4
                            4) A: 1 B: 4

Changes and summaries:

1) No changes - we will keep the "none of the above" but make people explain their votes.
                            2) Voters will no longer have to explain their votes.
                            3) Voters can no longer take into account a player's New York Giants or Brooklyn Dodgers career. Their Mets career is all that is to be considered.
                            4) The vote will not be extended.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X