This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Back Banner Day!

I know it's been a few years (10?) since the Mets have held a banner day. It was one of the most uniquely Mets traditions in baseball which was stopped by the Wilpons in the 90's. For what reason exactly? Maybe we can make enough noise in emails to the Mets, and to the news dailies to generate a grassroots push to reinstitute this tradition. There have been plenty of people complaining about the disservice to Mets tradition going on lately. This is one way to make your voice heard, and at least try to get this truely fan friendly day returned to us.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    I know it's been a few years (10?) since the Mets have held a banner day. It was one of the most uniquely Mets traditions in baseball which was stopped by the Wilpons in the 90's. For what reason exactly? Maybe we can make enough noise in emails to the Mets, and to the news dailies to generate a grassroots push to reinstitute this tradition. There have been plenty of people complaining about the disservice to Mets tradition going on lately. This is one way to make your voice heard, and at least try to get this truely fan friendly day returned to us.
    I feel the same way. Part of it is that Wilpon is too cheap to schedule a doubleheader. Perhaps the event could be scheduled for before or after a single game, but then there's the other problem with Wilpon: he's interested in gentrifying the team's image and appears to have actively run away from many of the homespun traditions of the past. He seems to consider them an embarrassing clash with his exclusive clubs and fancy wine lists.

He's not really a Mets fan and runs the team to make as much money as possible, all the while being tone deaf to the feelings of his fan base and what the Mets have traditionally represented.

The most recent examples of this are:

* That he had to be shamed into agreeing to build a Mets Hall of Fame, when he could find room at "Citi" for a million different eateries and even an Alyssa Milano clothing store. The plan now is to slap together a Hall of Fame in a scrap of spare space opposite the food court. Thanks Fred.

* The weird, ugly spectacle of New York's traditional team of the underdogs leading the charge to have eminent domain declared on all the businesses across 126th Street from the new ballpark, so Wilpon can have a "baseball neighborhood" constructed on the confiscated property.

Unless Wilpon can figure out how to make a mint off Banner Day, I don't see it returning.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
      I feel the same way. Part of it is that Wilpon is too cheap to schedule a doubleheader. Perhaps the event could be scheduled for before or after a single game, but then there's the other problem with Wilpon: he's interested in gentrifying the team's image and appears to have actively run away from many of the homespun traditions of the past. He seems to consider them an embarrassing clash with his exclusive clubs and fancy wine lists.

He's not really a Mets fan and runs the team to make as much money as possible, all the while being tone deaf to the feelings of his fan base and what the Mets have traditionally represented.

The most recent examples of this are:

* That he had to be shamed into agreeing to build a Mets Hall of Fame, when he could find room at "Citi" for a million different eateries and even an Alyssa Milano clothing store. The plan now is to slap together a Hall of Fame in a scrap of spare space opposite the food court. Thanks Fred.

* The weird, ugly spectacle of New York's traditional team of the underdogs leading the charge to have eminent domain declared on all the businesses across 126th Street from the new ballpark, so Wilpon can have a "baseball neighborhood" constructed on the confiscated property.

Unless Wilpon can figure out how to make a mint off Banner Day, I don't see it returning.
      Hmm, apparently he's not tone deaf if he hears complaints and addresses them.

Also, what other great Met homespun traditions of the past has he run away from? The mule? They brought over the apple, the skyline, Mr. Met. Casey & Gil are long gone. Tom Seaver was there for opening day.

There's just som much complaining for the sake of complaining. No matter what they do some people will complain.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
        No matter what they do some people will complain.
        Really, it's more like "no matter what they do some people will defend them".

But Fred and Jeff have proven to be indifferent to the team's history and flagrantly view the Mets fan base as only a cash cow.

At this point, even the tiresome pro-Wilpon echo chamber in the "Stadiums, Ballparks, and Green Diamonds" forum has been broken up with fans calling BS on them.

It's reassuring to see Mets fans are not deaf and dumb.

Comment

Really, it's more like "no matter what they do some people will defend them".

But Fred and Jeff have proven to be indifferent to the team's history and flagrantly view the Mets fan base as only a cash cow.

At this point, even the tiresome pro-Wilpon echo chamber in the "Stadiums, Ballparks, and Green Diamonds" forum has been broken up with fans calling BS on them.

It's reassuring to see Mets fans are not deaf and dumb.
          Or more likely fans calling BS on the constant unwarranted bashing.

Lot of spoiled "I wnat it and I want it NOW" type people out there. Can't possibly see how the park plays and what works and doesn't work before the complaining starts.

The constant bashing of Fred Wilpon around this site is juvenile (Fred "Coupon"?) and instantly discredits the opinion of the person using it.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
            The constant bashing of Fred Wilpon around this site is juvenile (Fred "Coupon"?) and instantly discredits the opinion of the person using it.
            The bashing of Wilpon wouldn't be constant if it wasn't deserved. It's nothing on this site compared with elsewhere:

DOPEY METS WANT TO ERASE DWIGHT'S CITI AUTOGRAPH

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04202009...uto_165321.htm

Just read the comments.

I personally think that when a fan is so ignorant they can't tell the difference between supporting their team and supporting the team's rotten owner like a loyal dog, it instantly discredits their opinion.

Comment

The bashing of Wilpon wouldn't be constant if it wasn't deserved. It's nothing on this site compared with elsewhere:

DOPEY METS WANT TO ERASE DWIGHT'S CITI AUTOGRAPH

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04202009...uto_165321.htm

Just read the comments.

I personally think that when a fan is so ignorant they can't tell the difference between supporting their team and supporting the team's rotten owner like a loyal dog, it instantly discredits their opinion.
              I guess you didn't hear they are "moving" Doc's signature to where all fans will be able to hear it and will have a "wall of fame" with other player signatures. Of course, why bother to look when you can just keep spewing your irrational hatred.

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/04/20/n...ens-signature/
              Last edited by NYMets523; 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM.
              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

im nowhere near the biggest wilpon fan out there, but the man gets so much undeserved criticism by the masses.
                "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                  I guess you didn't hear they are "moving" Doc's signature to where all fans will be able to hear it and will have a "wall of fame" with other player signatures. Of course, why bother to look when you can just keep spewing your irrational hatred.
                  This coming from a guy who says Promenade at Citi has a better view of the field than Loge at Shea.

You also claimed the plexiglass staircases don't obstruct any views.

Why do you feel it necessary to defend everything Wilpon does?

Comment

Originally posted by m8644 View Post
                    im nowhere near the biggest wilpon fan out there, but the man gets so much undeserved criticism by the masses.
                    Careful or the bashers will start calling you an ignorant fan.

Comment

This coming from a guy who says Promenade at Citi has a better view of the field than Loge at Shea.
                      In the seats I sat in, I had that experience. The Loge at Shea was the worst place to sit IMO because you were very far back and you could barely see anything above the picture b/c of the overhang of the Mezzanine above. I'd rather sit where I did in Citi Field on opening day than where I did for the game 2 of the 06 NLDS at Shea.

You also claimed the plexiglass staircases don't obstruct any views.
                      It's glass; you can see through it. People walked past seats and "obstructed" them in Shea. There was a row right in front of some of the Field level seats

Why do you feel it necessary to defend everything Wilpon does?
                      Why do you feel it necessary to attack everything the Mets do and blame Wilpon for it?
                      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Here are a few choice quotes from you which can be found in the “Mets Hall of Fame will be displayed at Citi Field - Newsday” thread:

Shea was a dump. Those seats were cheap but they were all the way in the nosebleed section. Sitting in the Promenade at Citi is like where the blue seats were at Shea.
                        I don't really care what the name of the blue section was. The seats in the Promenade are better than some of the Lodge seats at all of the Mezzanine.
                        It's true. I sat in the Loge section in the 06 NLDS. I was 2-3 rows from the back and could barely see anything above the pitcher. I also sat in the Lodge a few rows from the aisle above home plate and could barely see the batter. I had a better view from my seat in the Promenade in Citi Field than those 2 seats I had in Shea's Loge.
                        The impression I get from reading this is that you seldom if ever went to Shea.

* You don't even know what section the blue seats were!

* You're saying Promenade is better than some of Loge... And all of Mezzanine!

* You claim that a few rows back from home plate in Loge, you could barely see the batter!

Anybody who ever sat in Loge behind the plate knows you could call balls and strikes from those seats; they were debatably the best in the house!

Anybody who ever went to Shea or can compare seating plans between Shea and Citi would have to figure you're either blind, or lying.

Why are you making yourself look bad in an effort to make Wilpon and his stadium look good?

Comment

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but lets please refrain from name calling and keep it civil..

Thanks
                          "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                          ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

* You don't even know what section the blue seats were!
                            Why does it matter if it I didn't remember the name?

* You're saying Promenade is better than some of Loge... And all of Mezzanine!
                            From the seats I sat in at Shea in the Loge and Mezzanine, my seats in Citi's promenade were much better.

* You claim that a few rows back from home plate in Loge, you could barely see the batter!
                            From my seats, I couldn't. Sitting where I did felt like a cave.

Anybody who ever sat in Loge behind the plate knows you could call balls and strikes from those seats; they were debatably the best in the house!
                            I actually sat in the Mezzanine in the seats behind homeplate. My mistake.

Anybody who ever went to Shea or can compare seating plans between Shea and Citi would have to figure you're either blind, or lying.
                            I'm not lying. From the seats where I sat in, my views were very poor. I'll take my seat at Citi over the ones I sat in at Shea any day.

Why are you making yourself look bad in an effort to make Wilpon and his stadium look good?
                            How do I look bad? The only thing you're getting me on is the names of the sections. I always knew them by color: orange, blue, green, and red. Why does it matter?
                            Last edited by NYMets523; 04-21-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Why does it matter if it I didn't remember the name?

From the seats I sat in at Shea in the Loge and Mezzanine, my seats in Citi's promenade were much better.

I actually sat in the Mezzanine in the seats behind homeplate. My mistake.

How do I look bad? The only thing you're getting me on is the names of the sections. I always knew them by color: orange, blue, green, and red. Why does it matter?
                              Obviously, you don't even know them by color.

Once you've been to the ballpark a few times, you learn the names of the sections. At Shea, there were basically four sections, not counting the Picnic Area, etc. It doesn't take many visits to learn them. Most fans that went to the ballpark even occasionally knew them.

As someone who has been to Shea probably upwards of 200 times, I notice that everything you're saying about it is wrong.

Saying wrong things over and over to defend a shaky viewpoint does not help your purpose much.

I also notice that you seem to confuse criticizing Wilpon with criticizing the Mets. This is a mistake.

It's because I am a Mets fan that I criticize Wilpon.

I want an owner that respects the team, its traditions and its fans as much as I do.

I wish we had one.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X