Murphy the Reincarnation of Swoboda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy the Reincarnation of Swoboda?

I feel like I'm in a time warp. Everytime I see Murphy totally clueless out in left field this year I feel like I've been whisked back to 1965 with Ron Swoboda playing left field for the Mets.

Where is Rod Gaspar when we need him???

Originally posted by Brooklyn Baseball Bill View Post
    I feel like I'm in a time warp. Everytime I see Murphy totally clueless out in left field this year I feel like I've been whisked back to 1965 with Ron Swoboda playing left field for the Mets.

The bottom line with a player like Murphy is A) Do we let him play through his doldrums right now? Or B) Bench him, and let his confidence sink further down?
    I am for A. It's early, we're only 4.5 games behind the Marlins.
    Additionally I see Murphy's gaff as only a part of last nights debacle. The more pressing problems I saw were as follows:
    1) Ollie was the bad Ollie. Got through 4+ innings and hit the wall.
    2) Manuel's managing in the 5th. He left Ollie in way too long, then Ollie imploded.
    3) Casey Fossum is not the answer, in any way, shape, or form. He needs to shuffle off to Buffalo, like now!!!
    4) We got 4 runs, and then thought that was enough. We lack the killer instinct of a winning organization.
    5) Beltran needs to learn how to slide. The play at the plate should've been textbook little leaguers slide better.
    6) Castillo needs to nail that throw the 1B better. Although IMHO Pujols was out, Luis made it harder on Delgado than he should have.
    sigpic
    LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brooklyn Baseball Bill View Post

What wonderful memories this evokes. I was at Forbes Field in '65 or '66 for a doubleheader, and got to see Swoboda and Stargell duel in left field. It was mind boggling. Swoboda richly deserved his reputation but many younger fans don't realize how lousy Willie was in LF in his younger days. Interestingly, his first few years Stargell actually was quite fast and had a strong arm, but had poor instincts and judgement in the field. He was bad. After about 6 or 7 seasons he actually learned how to be an adequate LFer, except his knees were going by then and he was losing speed quickly, eventually causing his shift to 1B.

Back to the doubleheader- both botched several plays. Swoboda "raced" back to the scoreboard to try to catch a deep drive, leaped up, and the ball ricocheted off his foot!

Stargell, not to be outdone, dropped a routine short fly to left with a runner on first. No problem- the runner never thought about breaking more than 20 feet toward second with the can of corn in front of him. Willie picked up his dropped fly, whipped the ball the approximately 120 feet to second, and recorded an assist for his troubles. And, of course, no error!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X